Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects time has come, need transport

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by unkamort, May 7, 2013.

1. unkamort

unkamort

I'm getting out! I'v been packing for weeks. Today is THE day to arrange transport for the 38 Ford and 73 Ranchero from San Francisco to Jackson Tn. My preference would be enclosed transport. I'v already contacted BenD (single car transport on an open deck), and one other of the HAMB favorites (memory fails) and haven't really had any positive response (no fault of theirs).
    I know this transport thing has been questioned before... but in my search I haven't read feedback on how the move went, except for the two contacts mentioned above.
    I don't ask for much out of this board... but if you have any contact information and feedback on your experience I'd love to hear it.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
  2. unkamort

unkamort

3. In general, more cars leave California headed east than come
    into the states ...

San Francisco poses an additional problem ....

Most custom cars headed to California go to the Long Beach Port.
    Few go to the Sacramento or Bay area.
    So, you are looking at unloaded miles.

Measure both cars overall bumper to bumper.
    Add six inches minimum spacing between cars.
    That is the minimum space you need.

Be prepared to wait (4) to (6) weeks minimum for a connecting load
    bringing a hauler to your area or pay for the hundreds of unloaded miles.

Go enclosed
    Go direct
    Pay no deposit

There are options on the HAMB

Social Relay Group @ http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=778240&highlight=relay

Do a keyword search using ' transport ' or ' haul ' to see
    if a member is headed your way who can help.

Post a ' Wanted ' ad in the Classifieds here

Good Luck !

Jim

4. unkamort

unkamort

Update: I'v been in contact a coupla' times with racinman (Rick)... Sounds like a hell of a nice guy, but unfortunately is booked too far in advance at this time. I have come up with 2 other possibilities, even though I didn't want to go the 'broker' route. One outfit called 'Direct Express', and the other called 'Safe Direct'. Neither of these is the cheapest bid. My question to the masses... Anyone have feedback on these guys?

5. NickJT

NickJT
    from S.E. PA

If you have something to pull it with, have you considered buying a decent used trailer and then selling it upon arrival in TN? Even if you sold for a better deal than you bought it for, the difference would be less than paying a hauler.

6. unkamort

unkamort

Well... This has become interesting in a scary sorta way.

http://www.transportreviews.com/company/alda-logistics-inc.asp

Apparently the 'broker' hired this guy, who is apparently is another 'broker' who at first stated he didn't want to drive his truck into the city, and would have a flat bed sent in to pick up the cars and deliver them to his Hayward depot.
    The vibe I'm getting here is my trucks will sit in some corporation yard until he can make up a load, possibly being picked clean by anybody that hapends by.
    I'd like to see the transporter and talk to the driver. Am I out of line here?

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't think so in the least. To me that would create too much risk of the cars being subject to pilferage while sitting in the lot.

Have you got a friend with a car lot that gets used cars from points east? One of the bigger car lots here gets a lot of cars out of PA and I don't know what the convoy trucks carry going the other way unless they go to Seattle/Tacoma or Portland and pick up new cars to haul back. You might check that option out.

I found this outfit via Yelp with good feedback.
    http://www.moveauto.com/

Yelp feedback. http://www.yelp.com/biz/all-american-trucking-and-transport-inc-burlingame
    Open convoy trucks but what they do is move cars cross country.

Last edited: May 11, 2013
  8. speedyb

speedyb
    from socal

Good luck, I had to send a car Enclosed from LA to Wilmington NC this time last year and It was Uh an experience to get it there. Money was not an issue and it still took about 6 weeks to pull it off. Everyones busy going the other way ! Try to use Hamb guys or go with others they recommend. Be careful

9. RPM

RPM

Post it on Uship.com we have used them before, fast and reasonable. I had one shipped from way up in Wis to East Tn for $500. No problems

10. maniac

maniac

No, I wouldn't want it any other way.

11. unkamort

unkamort

Thanks RPM... will try U-ship

12. unkamort

unkamort

This thing is turning into snakes. I went on u-ship, got 5 bids and took the one in the middle price range because they had a good rating on the site listed in post #7 above. They can't get anyone to pick up the cars. I'v been in contact with the shipper every day. I'v just been all over the u-ship site looking for a contact phone number for some guidance ...nada.
    Gettin a little desperate here. I have a 26' moving truck, packed and ready to leave in an hour, with 5 days now off the 9 day clock allowed by Penskie.
    I'm most certainly open to advise, I have no intention of abandoning these cars.

13. What are your plans in TN? I hope it is a great move for you, I am sure you can find some HAMBsters there..

14. unkamort

unkamort

company profile for u-ship says they are in Austin... can anyone come up with a phone number for me???

15. Weasel

Weasel

Here ya go: 1 800 698-7447 ext 2

16. unkamort

unkamort

Thanks Weasel... they don't seem to be able to do anything with my little situation

17. y-oh-y

y-oh-y

Rent youself a couple of storage units to park um in until you are able to have them hauled proper.
    If it helps you are welcome to store them at my place for a few weeks, it's a bit out of the way but nobody would mess with them.

18. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

Contact Roy at Door to Door Transport in Florida. Ask to have Sparta move your cars (he lives in Cali). He just moved 3 cars and and 2 bodies for me from Florida to Texas. NO complaints at all from me! Great company and OUTSTANDING driver!!!! I got real lucky finding those two guys. Feel free to relay my info to Roy and please tell him Dave says "thanks so much". Good luck on your move.

19. unkamort

unkamort

Thanks for the info... unfortunately it looks like a no go. I called late morning and made my case. Roy said he would call around and get back to me in 15mins. Then I called again, and was told my call would be returned right away. There has been no response at this point.
    So let me see if I have this straight... a 'Broker' dose a bit of advertising and hopes the trucker will call him when he needs some work. A "Dispatcher" actually has trucks under his control to send where needed?

20. So Penske can't rent you a trailer to haul behind the truck to haul one?
    Are you going alone?
    Rent a truck and trailer and haul the other one....or wait and wait and get the run-around...oh, you already have.....LOL
    NEVER use a broker, ALWAYS use a shipper...always ask first....

21. unkamort

unkamort

I piratically had to beg for a truck with a lift gate... the tool box alone is somewhere just south of 1 Ton, not counting shop equipment. You can't get a trailer hitch with the lift gate. As usual its a one man show. Took me 3 days to load the truck.

22. Back to the used car dealer comment earlier.....I see small to medium size
    carriers with older vehicles on them, but don't know the ins and outs of
    how you get with them. I think they do deliver between used vehicle
    dealers.

The other thing that came to mind......how about the BIG guys......like
    Passport Transport and some others which you should be able to find on
    the net. They run enclosed trailers with cars on upper and lower levels
    inside. Have no idea of the cost, however. They usually carry for the
    guys with expensive cars.

23. maniac

maniac

Unfortunatley trucking small shipments are ALL done thru brokers these days, unless you can fill a 53' van or flat, the large trucking companies don't want anything to do with it.

There are however, independents who WILL take the loads, but they need time to fill the trailer also, no profit when you are 1/2 empty.

There are lots of brokers, some honest, some not, hard to tell the good from the bad.

Wish I had better news for ya.

24. So-Cal Speed Sacramento

So-Cal Speed Sacramento
    Alliance Vendor
    from Sacramento

did you have a shop in SF? is it going to be available for rent any time soon?!

25. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wish I'd seen your post sooner.
    Try RoadRunner auto transport
    They can give you a quote online or 888-764-4174

Hope that it all works out for you

LJ

26. lowelife

lowelife

What ever you do stay away from Initial Logistics. Just had a horrible experience with them and they even threatened to sue me for leaving a negative feedback. Absolute baboons trying to run a shipping company.

27. unkamort

unkamort

No... home shop. My son will be moving his Mustang movie in when I'm gone.

28. unkamort

unkamort

call placed, left message

29. Wolfman1

Wolfman1

I've used Reliable a couple of times from California to Ontario Canada
    One car was between San Francisco and Oakland
    They picked it up within a week
    The cost was a little over 2 grand for an enclosed transport but they brought the car to my door in Canada
    No brokers involved and very professional
    Cost to Tennessee should be a lot less and 2 cars should be a decent discount as well