Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Gene (Moonlighter) Cromer's A/G Willys Resurrection

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Quain Stott, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

I just left Genes shop worked all day finishing up the few things that I had left to do. I started to hang around but gene had been swamped with visitors all day and was worn out. I offered to stay and help him and Melvin finish up so he could fire the car tonight because it's real close and nobody wants to hear the first heart beat in 40 years more than I do. But I think that Gene and Melvin want to do that on there own just like in the old days and I think we all should respect that just my thinking but I'm think I on target. I talked to Gene a little about tuning the old hilborn and offered my help but it didn't take long to under stand that he has forgot more about tuning a race car that I will ever know. They may do it tonight or tomorrow I don't know but I'm sure he will let us know. There may not be a video of the fire up unless Ruth or Melvin do it so any body that wants to here the Moonlighter run you will have to be at Greer Saturday. Remember this is just my thinking some of ya'll may know Gene Ruth and Melvin better than I do.

Mtn Goat likes this.
  2. OldColt

OldColt

Yeah, I know how I am after a long day's work. After looking at the car for months every day, a few seconds of video of the old gal may seem kinda' insignificant to them. Think your right Quain, a little space and respect to the guys that got it all started long ago is probably in order. We will all see and hear her run soon at any rate. Hope they don't completely wear themselves out. --- Steve ---

3. Quain,I do know Gene well and he has immense respect for you,,who knows about Melvin? :D

Ruth is one of the sweetest lady's I have ever had the pleasure to know.

I'm willing to bet it's not gonna be long before Standridge Road will once again hear the echos of a big old Ford engine roar back to life again. HRP

4. AHotRod

AHotRod

Thanks for the update Quain, I hope all of the folks don't wear them out, they need there strength and rest.

God Bless you all.

5. billyndelores@bellsouth.n

[email protected]
    from Anderson

It's great seeing you in the Willys again Gene :)

6. Chipper

Chipper

I hope people respect Gene and his health enought to give him space and let him rest a little along the way.
    For my 2 cents, I think it would be nice if Gene, Melvin and Quain got it started in private. There has been no one that has put in more of himself and his outstanding Craftmanship than Quain.

Mtn Goat likes this.
  7. My shirt showed up yesterday, Love it!!!

8. Jere33my

Jere33my
    from usa

I bet there are not many of these left and it's in good shape.[​IMG]

9. Quain indeed has done a lot but don't sell the many other people involved in the project short.

Gene is held in high esteem by the local drag racing community and hot rodders,,these guys are there on a regular basis everyday. HRP

10. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Think about what you said in your quote EVERY DAY. I could tell Gene was stalling yesterday that engine could have been ready to fire in an hour but he was worn out from walking around everybody and answering questions all day. He couldn't get anything done himself for having to stop every few minutes to direct one of us. I left after I got done what I was there to do because I could tell that I was a distraction and time is running out and Gene is getting very tired. Again it's just my thinking and he is probably going to kill me for these last few post.

Mtn Goat likes this.
  11. OldColt

OldColt

Pretty normal for nerves to get thin when crunched up against a deadline. I hope the car is finished up Wednesday or Thursday, so you guys can have a day or two to rest up and be fresh for Greer. I'm sure everybody will be hugging and hi five-ing when the Moonlighter pits after that first trip down the track. Maybe someone involved with the project can make a "credits post" listing all the names and contributions on this thread, and maybe the Moonlighter website as well. --- Steve ---

12. DGreggsr

DGreggsr
    from SC

Will get Jack to add the list to the web site as soon as it is compiled. Thanks for the reminder.

13. Lytles Garage

Lytles Garage

Without Quain ,there would be No "Moonlighter" Chris

14. DGreggsr

DGreggsr
    from SC

Post pictures of wearing your Tshirt. The advertisement will do us good.

15. Frank Taylor

Frank Taylor
    from Iva, SC

I don't know about that, some of us don't look to good.

16. catdad49

catdad49

Is this Gene's game face? I think I just redlighted!![​IMG]

17. NOOO!! Well.... I just put another one on the trailer

18. I think there always was a moonlighter. Gene built it years ago. I think what you meant was Quain has been the inspiration in its rebuild.Not selling him short ,his work is fantastic. Its been like a snow ball rolling down hill and has gathered a lot of other people with enormous talents that has brought it back to life. :)

19. dirt42

dirt42

My sister just stopped in and picked up my two shirts. Gene's the best and I told her get the shirts and get out of there so he can get back to work.

20. OldColt

OldColt

Will the H.A.M.B. be listed in the thanks list? Without it, many folks like myself may have never known about Gene and this awesome project.
    --- Steve ---

21. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Yes the hamb should be on this list. When I started this project I thought it was just going to be Gene and I. With the help of the hamb getting the word out and letting people know what we were doing it has not taken the 2 years that we thought it would. Plus the parts and pieces that have been donated have saved a lot of money.

Mtn Goat likes this.
  22. DGreggsr

DGreggsr
    from SC

Just received a call. the return of the Moonlighter is being advertised on the radio this morning. I also understand its being carried by the local television station Channel 4. This is exciting!!

23. CGkidd

CGkidd

This project is so cool. I am excited for all of you working on it. Wish I was colser so I could see it in person.

24. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

One of the original door panels from the Moonlighter is being lettered with a list of the people that helped out and the ones that donated parts. PM me if you have donated parts or help and let me know if you would like to have your real name or HAMB name on the list. There might be room for both don't know yet but if not let me know how you would like it don't forget correct spelling for first and last name. PM me the info so we don't get off topic here. Also how should we list the Hamb site on the list. Like HAMB.com or what. Thanks~Quain~

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  25. Frank Taylor

Frank Taylor
    from Iva, SC

One of my neighbors brought me something today that will go into Gene's scrapbook. Notice who is getting top billing on this handmade handbill. Now this is really old school. The great majority of you guys have never heard of this little drag strip, but a lot of us locals went there many times. I've talked with Gene about 13 Forks and he said he used to like to run there. I never dreamed I would get this little piece of history.
    [​IMG][/URL]

26. Frank Taylor

Frank Taylor
    from Iva, SC

Here's a couple of pics to show progress is still being made. Gene and the rest of the crew are busting their tails getting the Moonlighter ready.
    [​IMG][/URL]
    [​IMG][/URL]
    Dave Boles and Melvin are finishing up the wiring.

27. hr racecar

hr racecar
    from Comer, GA

I have a copy of this same flyer from 13 Forks in my shop. I just brought it in to scan it and post here and saw you beat me to it. 13 Forks is about 15 miles from my shop and is the 1st. drag strip I ever went to when I was around 6 or 7 years old. I only remember 3 cars from that track. Gene Chromer, The Cotton Picker, and The Little Lemon. I saw last week that the driver of the Cotton Picker came by to check out the progress on the Moonlighter. At the bottom of the flyer Dude Moore is listed. I think this is now the Night Stalker 55. Ed Skelton is on the flyer and was a Ford Factory Racer. This is the coolest think that has happened ino the race world in a long time. Well, about 40 years to be exact.............Toni

28. Thanks for the up date Frank
    That is a neat piece of history
    Wheel stands sound like they where on the bumper before the wheelie bars

29. 440 deluxe

440 deluxe

i feel like a stalker!! Ive checked the thread at least 10 times today for updates. Cant wait to see the real thing saturday!!! Burn that Moonlight oil!!!

30. chevydeucewagon

chevydeucewagon

The Moonlighter is right on track and I think everyone will be pleasantly surprised at how good the car looks in person on Saturday. Please take time to look at the details on this car. These details are what sets it apart. Quain's work often goes unnoticed due to the fact that you have to take the time to really look and not just admire the "outward" appearance of the car. A lot of people have chipped in one way or the other and it has been greatly appreciated. Quain and I were looking at the times/posts tonight and figured that Quain has over 600 hundred hours in just a few months on this car! That equals out to over $40,000 dollars and a lot of late nights, working seven days a week. I guess what I'm trying to say is this, slow down, look at the details, and shake Quain's hand. You'll not find two more dedicated and deserving people than Quain or Gene. Gene is such a deserving individual and I am stoked to see The Moonlighter ready to pound the ground once again!! GOD bless you guys for allowing us to be a part of it.
    Daron

Last edited: May 22, 2013
    kidcampbell71 likes this.