Register now to get rid of these ads!

is this Von Dutchs work??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fitzee, May 19, 2013.

1. fitzee

fitzee

A friend arrived on the island with this truck a few weeks ago and we are very interested in finding out any history on it. the stripping on the truck is old and it has Von Dutchs name on it. the truck is now in Canada and a long ways away from its home. The wheels are not right but the body is untouched. any info on it would be great.. thanks

Attached Files:

2. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Doesn't look like it to me. I have a lot of respect for Dutch's work, but his lettering was seldom laid out as well as that. The signature is off as well.

3. Bdamfino

Bdamfino
    from Hamlet, NC

No history on truck, but the work looks a little too "sane" to be true Dutch striping.

4. Just compared the sig to a piece I have in my office that
    Kenneth "Von Dutch" Howard did for me back around 68 or so
    NO FRICKIN WAY

5. henry29

henry29

Looks like someone added the signature later.

6. Von Franco

Von Franco

Another fuckin fake.......

7. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

a very bad one at that!

8. fitzee

fitzee

this is what we are trying to find out. is it a fake or not.. any info on the truck or his work would be great..why would someone put his name on their work? I dont get that!!

9. Von Franco

Von Franco

The only thing i can figure is, that the striping job is in his style...

10. fitzee

fitzee

yes the rockets on the post seem to look like his work..

11. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Something about it smells fake. But I am no expert, so that doesn't mean a lot. Just looks a little too fake patina for some reason.

Maybe do a search on the shop noted and see what history you can come up with. Google doesn't pull up anything at quick glance.

If it does turn out to be real, whoever owns it would do themselves a big favor to loose those cheesy wheels, steering wheel and whatever other bits that aren't helping it. Hell, even if it isn't real, they would still being doing themselves a favor and the rest of us too.

12. Special Ed

Special Ed

Agreed, but that signature isn't anywhere even remotely close ... :cool:

13. Larry T

Larry T

I don't know many stripers that would claim the symetry and line width control of the striping on the hood, let alone Von Dutch.

14. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

if it isn't, then anyone who would sign his name to it should be beaten.....
    I don't hold much regard for Von Dutch, but, still...nobody should sign his name anymore than someone should sign your name to anything

15. If it is fake, why would you do something so ignorant? Jeez.

16. weez

weez

The striping is in his style, but on purpose I think- the design on the door almost matches one of the V.D. striping decals. The lettering is not in his style, and the skull looks VERY modern.

Btw, my Dad always called a stand-alone striping design a "puckie"... I've never heard that anywhere else though- he said he picked it up somewhere, but doesn't remember-

17. Larry T

Larry T

Fame and fortune

18. Yep, even if EVERYONE knows its a fake, they still talk about it or wonder. If they dont know its a fake, then its worth more because "look who striped my truck".

19. bgaro

bgaro

agreed, it has that fake patina look to me too.

20. Stipe lines are not well controlled. Plus look at the sinage,,, the black lettering has "wear spots" but the black eyes of the skull are not worn at all. Even the blue bandana is mint. Fake patina.

21. Billybobdad

Billybobdad

I have lived in the area for over 45 years never heard of or saw a place called "El Diablo auto repair" FAKE FAKE FAKE

22. fitzee

fitzee

this is good to know. he has a chance to sell the truck and the guy wants to completly restore the truck.wanted to make sure first.. as for the strip lines.I noticed they were not the best and found it hard to belive that this could be the work of someone like Von.

23. Agreed ^^^

24. 33hotrod

33hotrod

I would say NO!

25. verde742

verde742

I met a striper, who did his work, writes Von Dutch (2002) I guess Von Dutch died

earlier than that,,(I questioned,) 2002 is the year the striper got out of school.. big joke ha, ha.

"cept I didn't git it......

Last edited: Jun 15, 2013
  26. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

is the truck from TEMPE ?

27. 33hotrod

33hotrod

He died in 92'

28. I dont think it is...mbut then again im no expert!

29. The truck owner told the pinstriper to stripe it..."you know, like that Von Dutch stuff."

30. I know that Don Tippets did alot of stuff for Dutch in the later years but this dont look right to me. its to bold and dont have the lighter stripeing he used. contact stan Bets he would know.