Register now to get rid of these ads!

Great Oregon Racers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gary Reynolds, Jan 17, 2012.

1. jalopy45

jalopy45

Some more shots of the "Shoehorn" in White City and running against the "Glass Slipper", [​IMG] , [​IMG] , [​IMG] , [​IMG]

2. Jalopy 45 !!! W.O.W. !!!!!!! I was there when those photos of the Glass Slipper, and the Shoehorn were taken !!! It was my first year as a memberr of the Southern Oregon Wheelers, Charles "Bub" Hewitt was the driver of the Zombie III until some guy named "Junior" drove it for us at Port Orford strip. Gary Chroucher was another man involved with the III. I remember it being stolen outa Chrouchers garage ( I think it was his place) right after that. W.O.W. i got the tingles just remembering this ! and Ed Cortopassi was the man that let me sit in the Slipper until his push car got down to the end of the White City Strip ! W.O.W !!! ( did I say that already?)

3. jalopy45

jalopy45

One more from White City in 1960 is the "Zombie II" with a Simca body, [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  4. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Nice collection of pics Jalopy, thanks for posting. I am having a problem enlarging them, to get a better look.

5. I've finally found a pic of my mystery Mustang FC. Anybody know anything about this?
    [​IMG]

6. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Gary,
    I think that one, became Hal Anderson's "Starduster", when it became obsolete, and sat around for a few years, Lyle Canham brought it out and raced it in the sand drags in 1973. The funny thing is, that it was already too heavy and dated to be competitive at that racing as well. Tom Willford bought the nose, the doors and some remaining parts in the mid-80's.

Last edited: May 2, 2013
  7. Thats the car i remember being a couple blocks from my house in Milwaukie. It was all yellow then, I did see it a couple times at Woodburn in 67-68? Thanks Marty

8. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Hal Anderson also owned an Econoline Pickup Wheelstander, called the "Ichibahn" . I think it was the Svela and Sons "Super Ford", with the engine moved back.

Last edited: May 2, 2013
  9. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Wayne Miller's sweet wife Marilyn, just found this stash of pics, all from Scapoose Drags. #1 is my old friend Gary Davis '34 taken 6-14-53,the car was featured in Hot Rod and is still in the Portland area. Gary went on to be a terror on flat track motorcycles at places like "Sidewinders", after he retired from riding, he built and put some of the best riders in the nation on his bikes! #2 Don Kruger's "Riley 2 port" 29 roadster. L to R Wes Davis, Bill Wagner, Jack Dyer and Don, Aug 5. #3 The Draggin Waggin 9-7-52. #4 Ron Delong 7-22-51. #5 Clair Heaton's "Debbie 1" '33, 5-26-52, he was 2nd in 'B' Class. #6 is Buck's '41 Ford sedan 5-26-52 (note says sold to Hank Jones) for $1000.

Attached Files:

10. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

More of Wayne's pics, #1, Wayne Mahaffey's Cad powered 35 Phaeton Aug 5,1951,#2, Eddie Duhon's 39 won class 9-7-52, #3, 6-14-53, #4 Don Krueger's Riley 2 Port,#5,no info,#6, Jim Miller's Ardun powered 23 Dodge taken at the Tacoma car show in 56, This little roadster pu had various engines through the years. A Desoto Hemi with 6 carbs followed the Ardun, along with a change in ownership to Frank Wusze. The car ran A/SR and Frank's son Tim did the majority of the driving. They switched engines again around 1963-64, and installed an injected 413-426 wedge Chrysler. They were always competitive and the little truck was featured in Hot Rod and Car Craft magazines. Scott Perrott in Washington found the remains of the car, and along with the talents of "Kiwi" Paul, recreated the car in two versions, one with the Desoto and the other with the injected wedge!

Attached Files:

11. V8RPU

V8RPU
    from Nor Cal

Marty, I own the "draggin waggin" shown in your post #862 picture #3. I know it was featured in Hot Rod Mag. in the November 1955 issue as "puritan in primer". Would like to see any other pictures you have of the car and learn what you know of its history.

12. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Good to know the car still exists, that is the only shot I have of it. I will look in some of Al Drake's books, and I will see Al tomorrow at the Portland Transmission spring Gathering. In the meantime,feel free to post some pics on here, as it is today, we would love to see them !

13. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Hope to see you tomorrow Marty! Will you be driving the track T?

14. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I will be driving the black one with the "Red Ram" Dodge engine, there will be 5 or 6 of us, see you there !

15. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

While at the Portland Transmission spring gathering yesterday, I ran into my old friend John Anderson, who I have been pestering for some photos of his old Willys drag car, for a few years now. He presented me with these great shots of the car, showing the changes during it's racing career. John filled me in on the timeline, so I hope I am pretty close.
    In around '61-'62 John and his friend Chet Thomas built this 36 Willys sedan, they first used an injected 389"-421" Pontiac engine. Their main competition at the time, was Ed Smith from the Slo-Poks of Vancouver, who also used Pontiac power in his 41 Willys coupe. They had quite a battle in A/G, one would win one week, and the other the next. Sometime around '64-65, Ed had moved on to something else, John and Chet switched to an injected small block chevy, in the Willys. Around '67 they took on a third partner in the form of Jim Barnard, who had been racing a AA/FD with an early model Chrysler Hemi. Along the way, the boys hired the "multi-talented" Phil Schaffer, to chop the top 5", and lay the windshield back 2", along with painting it a beautiful, candy green and installing a "quilted" stainless steel top insert, and lettering as well. The trio ran the car through '69 or '70, the car ran in AA/FA, and with Chet at the wheel, it ran in the 7's at 190mph. A few of us, are still kicking ourselves for not buying it minus engine and trans, for $1200.00 back in the 70's. Sadly it was dissembled and the parts were used on 2 different cars, with far different themes, than the old "Assassin".

Attached Files:

• A-1.jpg
      A-1.jpg
      File size:
      73.9 KB
      Views:
    • A-2.jpg
      A-2.jpg
      File size:
      85 KB
      Views:
    • A-3.jpg
      A-3.jpg
      File size:
      90.8 KB
      Views:
    • A-4.jpg
      A-4.jpg
      File size:
      83 KB
      Views:
    • A-6.jpg
      A-6.jpg
      File size:
      57.4 KB
      Views:
  16. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

And now for it's time as a AA/FA, in my mind, about the "Baddest" Willys to race in the 60's! I am proud to know all three of these guys.

Attached Files:

• A-7.jpg
      A-7.jpg
      File size:
      96.1 KB
      Views:
    • A-8.jpg
      A-8.jpg
      File size:
      85.4 KB
      Views:
    • A-9.jpg
      A-9.jpg
      File size:
      91.7 KB
      Views:
    • A-10.jpg
      A-10.jpg
      File size:
      85.7 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: May 12, 2013
  17. oldstriper

oldstriper
    Member Emeritus

Marty- sorry I have not been back here for a while. Buddy Bob Huffman called today and told me to "go see". Sorry the hear about Al Reamer, what a great guy! Thanks for the help in finalizing the Slo Pok book. This remembering stuff is fun to do...thanks for your efforts!

Here are few that might interest you...Earl Floyd's street racer '37 Ford with flathead power, 1958; Bob Haines, Mac Bowman and Jim Albrich with the Northwind, 1964; one of Chuck Hendrickson's racing trophies; and Ben Kammer's Hemi powered Chev sedan, 1960.
    <object style="position:absolute;z-index:1000" type="application/x-dgnria" id="plugin0" height="0" width="0">

</object>

Attached Files:

18. Lytles Garage

Lytles Garage

Marty; Wasn't Dave Sattem {spelling} that drove for Jack, 33 Willys Super gas named " Assassin" any conection ?? Chris

19. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

One of the best looking sedan bodies ever built, and that car was one of my favorites Marty! Had totally forgotten about it after all these years. Thanks for reminding me!

20. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Chris, I don't think there is any connection, however I will ask Dave, the next time I see him.

Last edited: May 13, 2013
  21. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Don, It's tough to report the passing of a good friend, we all miss Al. I did see Al's Wife Joanie at P-Trans on Sat,and gave her a hug. That is some great stuff you posted, keep it coming! Kudos to you and Al Drake on the book!!!

22. oldstriper

oldstriper
    Member Emeritus

Just a follow-up on the Scotty's Drive In deal. That intersection is where Burnside, Sandy Blvd. and 12th cross. The TiK Tok was on the southeast corner, and Scotty's was directly across the street. Both had parking lots and were generally full. The TiK Tok was a little strange to cruise through, there was a car service island with a roof that stretch from the restaurant west towards the corner leaving just enough room to drive around the end without going out into the street. The Tik Tok was usually full, not to mention the burgers were more expensive, many of the cars ended up at Scotty's. His burgers were 19 cents or "5 for a dollar" as Scotty (Ken) put it. He was always manning the grille. Today both those spots are parking lots.

The sporting goods store that someone mentioned was a little further east facing the intersection. The building is still there. Up until about five or six years ago the Scotty's sign was in a bone yard that Federal Sign left behind decades ago.

The Scotty's Drive In fueler was first driven by Ed McCulloch first. I lettered the car when it was first finished. Don't know if it was a different car before that. Ken even put the arm on Franz Bread for some sponsorship money, I guess he used a lot of their stuff. Attached is a picture Ed sent me of the fueler in action.

<object style="position:absolute;z-index:1000" type="application/x-dgnria" id="plugin0" height="0" width="0">

</object>

Attached Files:

23. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Last Sat. at Portland Trans, my old friend Jack Greiner (who has supplied the majority of the Track Roadster pics I have posted here), gave me a folder with some more shots, and a copy of a race program from the St. Paul Rodeo, July 4th, 1950. Jack as a car owner and Driver of the "Roadsters", is my source on the NW history of these cars, along with being one of my best friends! The first shot Is Rolla Vollstedt working on #27 GMC powered 25 'T', at Jantzen Beach in 1951.#2 is Randy Francis at the wheel of Don "Duck" Collins #44, Al Reamer is at the left rear wheel, taken at Seattle. #3 Washington driver Chuck Cedar in Don Waters #73 and Len Sutton in Rolla's #1 at Seattle in 1948. #4 Len Sutton driving Don Waters car at Carrell Speedway(Gardena Ca) in Oct 10,1948, Don is on the right side of the car, Rolla (hands on hips), looks on. Len had backed Rolla's car into the wall and bent the rearend in practice, he jumped into Don's car and finished second to Troy Ruttman in Bert Letner's "Elco Twin". # 5 is Len Leading Troy early in the race.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 18, 2013
  24. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Here is the race program, I still can't believe, that they held auto races during the big rodeo event. Normally "horse shit" and gasoline don't mix! I had to show it in 4 pics, front and back, and drivers list.

Attached Files:

25. cagedruss

cagedruss

I have a friend writing a book on the history of the Portland Speedway. If anybody has some early pictures and driver's name please let me know. I am trying to assist.

PM or email me.

Thanks

26. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

That's a great picture of the area! Sure brings back memories cruising those spots in the mid 60's! The Ford dealer is a used hardware store now. Not sure if it's still Hippo Hardware, or changed names again.

27. 30ARoadster

30ARoadster
    from Salem, OR

Thank you for posting! Jack is a great guy. I have stopped in to see him a few times. I usually spend at least an hour or two talking to him about these great times. Last time I was there I let him borrow my Al Drake book, Northwest Oldtimers. He was thrilled to have a chance to look at it. I need to go back for more great stories and see how much of the book he has read.

The St. Paul Program must have been with Jack's white '27 T, because I think his blue '23 T was number 93.

28. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Does anyone happen to remember a guy named jack swan out of Salem? He raced a 36 ford 5 window with a white and pink interior? Raced Woodburn a lot. He also had a corvette too.

Trying to locate him...

29. MrMack

MrMack
    from Oregon

Yes, I have sent you a PM.

MrMack

30. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Thank you mrmack. Appreciated.