Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chug on 1950 8BA flathead

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hutch07, May 18, 2013.

1. Hutch07

Hutch07

I did read a few posts about chugging flatheads on the HAMB. My 1950 8BA flathead is chugging after it warms up. I have the original 8BA labeled carburetor and glass fuel bowl. After I sit on the side of the road for about 5 min and let it just idle it will let me get enough RPM and feather the clutch to "GET HOME" about 1 mile at a time. It seems like there is a sweetspot in the throttle that I can feather the pedal to get down the road and it will happen again. Once it cools down it starts like a dream and will idle all week.

My first thought is the fuel pump.

This is my first flat head and would appreciate a lesson or two.

Hutch

Attached Files:

2. Have you joined the FordBarn?Lots of knowledge on that site.

3. Hutch07

Hutch07

By Vapor Lock do you mean that the fuel line is heated creating fuel vapor in the carb bowl? I do not know how to check for that yet. I did read about the fuel tank cap vent. I'm going to look at mine now.

Texas Webb - I am on the Ford Barn also.

Thanks guys.

4. Hutch07

Hutch07

I am also going to check the plugs to see if rich or lean. The weird thing is that it only happens when it's warmed up.

5. jack orchard

jack orchard

Disconnect the vacuum line from the carb to the distributor and plug the carb end so there is no vacuum leak. Test drive. If OK now, the wire under the points plate in the distributor is grounding out to the distributor body when the vacuum advances. Replace. If no change, you are only out a little time. Good luck,...jack

6. Hutch07

Hutch07

I will try that now. Thanks Jack.:D

Attached Files:

7. Ole don

Ole don

My Y block is doing that this year too, and it never did that before. I filled the tank before the first cruise this year and it only took 3 gallons. I want to drive the old gas out before I tackle anything under the hood. Your plugs look a little fat. My flathead would do that with Champion plugs, NGK would run good with no carb changes.

8. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

check fuel , air filters . check fuel pump (with line off carb , turn motor with starter , check for capacity)( it my day it was like 5-6 pumps to fill them , they were like 8-10 oz .

9. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

I don't know why its chugging, but by the looks of your plugs it looks like you're running pretty rich?

10. Hutch07

Hutch07

11. Hutch07

Hutch07

12. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Hmmm.. I have a 59 Chevy Pickup with a 283 and 2bbl and it does a similar thing to that, but only when its cold. As it warms up it stops.

Strange.

Hopefully someone will chime in who can give you good advice.

It seems like carburetion to me.

At least I'll give you a bump to the top. :)

13. BRENT

BRENT

My 49 ford is doing a similar thing when its cold, and once it warms up is ok. I think its the gasket on the fuel bowl of the carb. when its cold I think its sucking air in or something until it heats up and the gasket seals again. But I do get a sputtering sound for a few miles until it warms up . it also has a certain RPM that it doesn't do it.

Brent

14. gas pumper

gas pumper

1) Bad condensor.

2) coil getting wrong voltage and getting hot.

90* of carb troubles are ignition.:)

15. studebaker46

studebaker46

i think what you may be experiencing is something in the gas tanksucks up to choke off gas line let it set and fallls back down apply throttle chokes again.especially true if been sitting for long while. just a thought been there. tom

16. 1952henry

1952henry

17. Yes, it seems to be a problem on enclosed engine compartments. ive seen it so bad on a 48 pickup that you could watch the gas boiling in the glass sediment bowl. keep the lines away from unnessasary heat and a carb spacer helps alot. ive made one from wood and had good results.

18. Hutch07

Hutch07

The new Economizer Valve had a large corner radius and did not seal. To find this I took the carb out and filled the bowl with water. It was pouring out of the bottom. I trimmed the corner down and re-sealed the valve.

Problem gone. I did find this last year but did not follow up until now.

:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

19. Hutch07

Hutch07