Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Scratch built 1929 Roadster body sheeting structure

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cryptkepper, Apr 3, 2013.

1. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

I need to go back and read all of your threads, how wide is the body? Also the height of the firewall and body? What is the lenght?

I'm so tempted to just go out and buy some sheet metal and try something crazy that I have no skill in doing but give it a shot.

Good luck on the job and can't wait to see more of this ride.

2. cryptkepper

cryptkepper
    from louisanna

Firewall is from bottom to center top 28", at the dash the body is 42.5 and at the rear of the top of the body 48" lenght is from firewall face to the rear body panel it's 50". The cowl is a full 16" deep from firewall to dash.

3. cryptkepper

cryptkepper
    from louisanna

Of coarse the body is approximately 1.5" wider at the top than at the floor. The body has a slight contour outward so as not to be flat or slab sided this is a mistake I have seen on other custom made bodies by hobbyist. It was harder to maintain the contour but I built all of my uprights for the structure at the same time all had exactly the same curve and were made with graduating lengths from front to back so I was able to maintain the same curvature along the sides and back panel to look more like an original. Hope that helps.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  4. cryptkepper

cryptkepper
    from louisanna

Worked on it for a little while, finished the rear panel.

Attached Files:

5. cool build.... it would be interesting to see the proportions with wheels and tires in place from a distance. Oh and I totally dig the front spring perch!

6. cryptkepper

cryptkepper
    from louisanna

Hey guys if you've been following you know I was unemployed and had plenty of time to work on my rod! Well I'm happy and sad to say I have joined the ranks of the middle class again I got a job!! This is a good thing for the bank account bad for the Rod so the post of progress is going to slow down a little! With that said I did lead around the cowl last evening no pic' yet. It's Saturday and I have to work. this is going to take some getting use to.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
  7. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

Congrats on the job and we can wait on build pics now you will be able to do the car with some funds!

8. damnfingers

damnfingers

Happy for you!

9. fleet-master

fleet-master

hey there cryptkeeper,your chassis looks real nice. The body has nice lines ,but I have a couple questions.1: How much tension is in the skins when you fit them to the frame stucture? 2: are you fully welding your joints before you lead them?

10. cryptkepper

cryptkepper
    from louisanna

To answer your questions there is no stress or tension at all when I heated the sheeting with the heat gun it was able to expand slightly and relive any stress. As for welding it is tack welded approx. 1" apart and only hard welded in vital areas and those welds are less than a inch in length. Not the first body I've built. I have completely leaded the body already, and have started the body work.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  11. Awesome build, and congratulations on the job! :)

12. fleet-master

fleet-master

I'm curious , as I'm wary of leading ,how do you ensure not too much flux stays in your joints/seams?

13. cryptkepper

cryptkepper
    from louisanna

My Grandfather was an old skool body man and passed the art down to my father and then to me. He used a stiff brush to apply and then a coarse sponge to kinda dab the flux prior to applying heat to the lead, most of the heat is applied to the lead to make it move. I actually have his paddles isn't that cool! I use them plenty and every time I do he is there with me, guiding my hand. Gramp's has been gone for some 20 years now, miss him much! RIP Granpa I wish he could see this rod he would so approve!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
  14. Let's see some pictures of the lead work!

15. 28-31

28-31

congrats on the new job! -- and very nice build

16. cryptkepper

cryptkepper
    from louisanna

Hey guys been working long hours on the new job but managed to get a little done. I did the firewall, I like it, I wanted very little detail but went ahead and put a seam in it to give it a little detail. Well here are a few pic,s.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
  17. cryptkepper

cryptkepper
    from louisanna

Hello folks, I haven't had a lot of time to work on the rod lately. I have been working the new job. But being back to work has afforded me some extra monies to by some tools such as a bead roller from HF not the best but i beefed it up and it works fine. I also bought a 30" bending brake, I also modified it too. I have plans to work on it this weekend, and attack the floor then onto the fabricating of the bed. Will post pic's as I go!

18. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

Just doing what you're doing with out the tools is just AWESOME! Makes me want to give it a try and build a body...

Keep us posted.

19. cryptkepper

cryptkepper
    from louisanna

Hey guy's spent Saturday cleaning the garage and setting up my bead roller and brake. I modified both since they are cheapo's from HF. I built a stand and a stifner and replaced the crank with a homemade wheel which works so much better. I also anchored it to the floor. With the brake I built a simple stand and anchored it also, used both of them today and they work just fine I did the complete trans tunnel. Here are some pic's.

Attached Files:

20. cryptkepper

cryptkepper
    from louisanna

Worked on the rod a little today and played with my new toys! Made the passenger floor and fabed the foot box and added the inner panel on the side to tie in the floor and firewall as well as the side inner panel. So here are some pic,s.

Attached Files:

21. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

Man you do good work. I would love to have one of those bodies!

22. cryptkepper

cryptkepper
    from louisanna

Hey guy's, well previously I told you guy's that I purchased a bead roller from HF, used it and wasn't satisfied with how it worked it has a lot of flex and is real stiff. I first made a wheel for it and that helped turn the rollers easier. but it flexed at the roller so bad it was hard to do a straight bead. so I dismantled it and cut the top and bottom of the plate on an angle and then added two gussets lenght wise along the slot to stiffen the plate. I also added zerk fittings at the drive shafts front and rear. these improvements cured the flexing and the drag at the wheel. So today I intend to finish the floor on the driver side. The interior of the body is taking a little longer than expected. I didn't know what to do with the inside of the doors and theirs the dash! Will post soon.

23. dad-bud

dad-bud

Hey there cryptkepper.
    OK, so it's not a true 29 Ford, it's kinda modelled on one.
    OK, so I much prefer Edsel's little jewel of a body design, and he had the full power of Henry's empire to ensure it was made well.
    It's obvious that you are just having a go at this and not wondering about whether you will fail. That's an inspiration to everyone that is afraid to begin trying. I wish you nothing but success with your little RPU, and I look forward to regular updates, as you can fit them in with your new job.
    Well done, and thanks so much for sharing this with us.
    Cheers.

24. Man, all that work, and you didn't weld it solid? Nice effort and design. I hope it holds out.

25. fleet-master

fleet-master

26. ESGEE

ESGEE
    from Sweden

Some great metalwork going on, keep it up...

27. Looking great. Keep pics coming PUHLEASE.

28. cryptkepper

cryptkepper
    from louisanna

Hey guys, have been working a lot of hours at the job so not a lot of progress has been made. I manage to do some work on the rod, I finished the floor on the driver side as well as the driver foot box. So next is the dash and inner door panels. Here are some pic's.

Attached Files:

29. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi CryptKepper.First,let me say congrats on the new job.
    Second.That build is slicker than oiled silk.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

30. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

Keep the pics and build going man! I love it and wish I had your skill set.