Register now to get rid of these ads!

Gasser/Street Freak front axle pics.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by k-member, Feb 3, 2008.

1. papajohn

papajohn

2. andy55

andy55

Is that a Hemi in there?

3. Sgt._Grumpy

Sgt._Grumpy

My 65 Nova SS during construction

[​IMG]

droppedstepside likes this.
  4. Red71

Red71
    from Illi-noise

Bringing it back around again.

some good info here .... I think?
    found some stuff I can use,thought some else might.

5. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

Here's a build pic of my Henry J. Still a long way to go.

[​IMG]

Blue

6. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

[​IMG][​IMG]

A custom 2.5" .312 wall axle I made the other year
    [​IMG][​IMG]

7. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

My '46 Austin, with 36" center kingpin tube axle. Corvair steering box.
    [​IMG]

8. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

This axel has only been in for fifty years so the verdict is still out I guess.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2013
  9. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

And here's the setup I'm building presently. Econoline axle in a early Falcon:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3 years later and still working perfect.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. SmokinBill

SmokinBill

3 years and 8k street miles so far.
    [​IMG]

12. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

did one in 68 ...
    :cool:

13. Love that pic Moon Rocket, tell us more!

14. marks73turbota

marks73turbota

Showed the start of my Catalina back in 2011. Still building it but much, much, more done. Frame and suspension all done. Motor built and together but yet to fire it. Trailered it to a local Pontiac Car show event last weekend. I got the "Best Engine" award even though mine was the only engine there that did not run, LOL.
    This is the finished front end. I used a 525 Saginaw steering box with a cross steer drag link ahead of the axle. I used the original Chevy rear tie rod mouts behind the axle to retain the original Ackerman and use the axle to protect the tie rod from road debris. Made all rods with 5\8ths rod ends. I may change to a power steering system later if I need it. If I can find room on the motor to add the pump and brackets.

[​IMG]

The car at the show with the award.

[​IMG]

Getting closer to drivable but a ways to go yet.

Mark L

15. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks great. Come along ways from the earlier posts / pics. Plenty of power with the twin Turbos I'm sure ! Congrats on the award.

16. Everytime I see that Pontiac I am impressed, way out of the box and so cool! You go! And keep posting progress, please... :D

17. mopar210

mopar210

our little "rumbler" getting close to done !

Attached Files:

• 008.JPG
      008.JPG
      File size:
      144.5 KB
      Views:
    • 011.JPG
      011.JPG
      File size:
      147.1 KB
      Views:
    • 018.JPG
      018.JPG
      File size:
      146.7 KB
      Views:
  18. GasserDude

GasserDude
    from Arkansas

I realize its not for everyone but mine works well with coil overs. You can't see it from this shot very well but I used hair pins instead of 4 bars. No complaints the cars drives and handles like a dream, been 143 so far and looking forward to more.

Attached Files:

droppedstepside and 91kustom like this.
  19. marks73turbota

marks73turbota

Thank you Baron and Oldguard for your comments. Long ways to go but getting there. As I'm get closer to running the motor I have to force my self to take my time. I was really glad to get the chassis all done. It was a big part of the build to get completed. Right now working out how to get the water from the rear radiator to the front and back. I have a tight spot under the seat mounts between the ladder bar crossmember and the bottom of the floor to over come. The I can get real close to running the motor.
    GasserDude. I really like the looks of the hairpins and the coil overs. Probably saves a few pounds over the leaf springs too. Are you using a front panhard bar or something else to locate the axle? Mark L

20. These are some great pics!

21. GasserDude

GasserDude
    from Arkansas

marks73turbota. here's a couple shots of the panhard and shocks. kinda hard to see but it's mounted right behind the axle so it's not so visible. it saves a few pounds and the adjustable shocks don't hurt either.

[​IMG][​IMG]

droppedstepside and 91kustom like this.
  22. marks73turbota

marks73turbota

Nice nice set up. I like the way you hid the panhard bar and the pins with coil overs make it look so clean. I would like to go to a true straight axle sometime in the future. The truck axle I'm using is so bulky looking and it restricts how wide it can go. For my tastes I'd like to have the axle a little wider to place the tires out a little farther. Right now I'm using 1/4 inch spacers and offset 6 inch rims. Also the tires are a little bulky too. But because the car is so "BULKY" it is not too bad looking (to me anyway). Your '55 is just so "right" looking, love it. I've always loved the gassers and the full bodied altereds, but I'm a loving the early '50's Pontiacs. I had to go with a Pontiac. The first "Street Gasser" I ever saw was a '57 Chevy with a Mopar 416 or 440 set way back into the firewall, back around 1967. I was a year away from my license and it has stuck with me all these years. Matter of fact. It was pretty much the same color as your '55, maybe a little bit deeper blue. It's the car that hooked me because I had never been to the strip yet. Man I love your car. Mark L

23. marks73turbota

marks73turbota

This is a better shot of the front of my car.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of the rear.

[​IMG]

Mark L

24. I like it! What axle are you running Mark? I have a Sids "undropped" and drilled '47-'55 Chevy pick up axle for my '42 Chevy gasser.

[​IMG]

25. marks73turbota

marks73turbota

Mine is a '57 Chevy pick up with stock dimentions. Did you have an axle that you sent to have straightened or did you buy it that way? I'm wondering because I would like to know how much wider the axles comes out to when it is straightened. If I had mine straightened it might just give me enough additional width that I would not need to change to a different one?? I also have the complete Speedway disc changeover so I would like to keep the axle. I don't think the guys that make the custom axles use the the king pins etc to keep my disc conversion. I don't want my front too high though and straightening it may get me up too high. I like the drilled axle too. Maybe I'll try it one day. What diameter are the holes?
    Do you have any pics of the '42? I had originally intended to use a '40 Olds coupe for my gasser but I ended up trading the '40 body and another body for this totally rust free '63. I just had to Street Freak the '63.

Mark L

26. Sid can stretch them some and I will measure the holes tonight. He also straighten or drop them and he magnafluxes them.

www.droppedaxles.com

He is here on the HAMB

27. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Damn, I didn't know he could do that!! And to think about it why not? Or even make them wider with same drop or even narrow some..I gotta hit him up for the process pics he promised me..Ought to be interesting..

28. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Mark, you got a big car and I think it is pretty proporsionate as it sits, height is good..I would not increase the front tread or change tire size, that looks good too...You have a lot of black in the front end, lot of space between the splash sheild and the spring shackles..Some different colors to break up the black mass or how bout a lightened front bumper? Thinned some [top to bottom] with a few [or a bunch] holes, formed lip ones would be neat, with or with out park lights [or maybe some leds set in from a slot opening so they would only be seen when on] and painted to match the car [for cost] but I think it would look slick chromed...Or something like a 70-73 mustang front bumper, probably not wide enough but thin enough....

29. Prostreetgasser

Prostreetgasser

I'll post some pictures of the progress on my "55".

Attached Files: