Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Fast Street/Strip Hot Rods

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by travj31, May 15, 2013.

1. I'd like to hear about the motor in this, cuz to get a heavy 47 Coupe into the nines is gonna take at least 650-700 HP - minimum

2. brandon

brandon

nowadays....how hard isn't it to get 650-700 hp...:D post up pics of said such coupe...i'm wanting to do another one in the near future...

3. kennb

kennb

Years ago the cars weren't going as fast as today. I work with 2 guys that have street cars, mustangs. I think one is a 67 and the other is a fox body, don't know the year. Both cars are low 10's and perfectly streetable, one has A/C. Years ago they would have been strictly track cars. I'd like to see that 47 Ford coupe that's running low nines run on the street, and I mean cruise on the street. I think it would be in trouble after a mile or two. Just my opinion, with experience. Ken

4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

if I wanted to be fast I'd buy another motorcycle. just about any 1000cc +- sport bike from the mid 80's til now will run in the 10's. the newer you get the faster they go. 600's are running 10's now.

going fast in a car costs too much.

5. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

12's to be fast but still get beat up by some new factory cars, 10's to be quick and beat most cars on the street.

6. what about the AC Cobra? it has fast stock in the mid 60's. its fast even with today's standards.

7. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Ran my T for 12 years, ran consistant 12.6 quarters, would of made easy 11's if I could have stopped the tyres frying.

[​IMG]

8. But then you have to put it to the ground as well!

9. Bigfoot21075

Bigfoot21075

:eek:

I would LOVE to know what fantasy road world you guys live in? 10's are not obtainable by "show floor shit" ESPECIALLY with one of us normal knuckle heads at the wheel. For arm chair racers who have never stared down the Christmas Tree this MAY be reachable from your chair or Playstation.

10 seconds is BLINDINGLY FAST. 13 seconds in an old hot rod is down right screaming fast.

10. All things are relative.In the late fifties I ran a Henry J with a caddy and turned high twelves. The sound and feel added to the illusion of speed.
    Last year Ford Motor Company gave me a Shelby GT 500 to test and it was faster than my old Henry J but it was very streetable and if you didn't push the loud pedal, it was a docile street machine. It was faster, but the Henry J felt faster.

11. gutpile

gutpile
    from Texas

I remember in high school early 70's a guy built a street car that ran in the high 12s and that was the quickest car I ever heard that was a DD. Now I Got a neighbor that has a 55 bel air that ran 10.19 in the 1/4 all motor 400 sbc. That was not fast enough so its being completely redone. the frame is tube and it would lift the front tires up about 3" every time. Bolt the one piece exhaust back on and drive it. This was running a lenco too.

12. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

It is amazing how this and everything else has changed. Back in the early 1960's the kids I ran around with had cars that ran in the 15 to 18 second range. There were a few guys around that had 409's and street rods that could run in the 12's.
    Today, I see guys at OT forums with 1000 to 1500 rear wheel horse power cars that run on the streets.

13. Model A Nut

Model A Nut

My first car right out of high school. daily abused driver, '67 Mustang, 289, 4 Speed, 300 rearend. 12.80's on street daytona sport 60's, throught the mufflers. I tried to kill the thing and couldn't.

14. Bigfoot21075

Bigfoot21075

15. rooman

rooman

Not HAMB friendly but Norm Butot (he runs the fab shop at John Force Racing) just sold his late model Vette. It had reworked heads and a cam and headers, he drove it to work regularly and with slicks it ran 10.15 at 129.43. John Lingenfelter built plenty of 9 second street Corvettes that idled like a production car. Modern engine management technology is amazing in that what was big horsepower for a race car when I was younger is now routine in emissions legal street cars. A couple of weeks ago I watched a Shelby Mustang make 524 horsepower at the wheels with just a blower pulley change. We were barely making that at the flywheel with an all out 302 cube small block Chevy with four down draft Webers in the early 80's.
    Back to hot rod style vehicles, Larry Dixon Sr has a 27 T roadster (current Indiana tags) that ran in the 8's with a single four barrel and nitrous and now has the blown big block that pushed his altered to 7 flats.

Roo

16. The 47 has a 509 @ 810HP, runs 9:60's all day. He has it trimmed down to about 3200 lbs. So it isn't your typical driver. His '27 roadster goes 8.80's tuned down. Of course it strictly racing.

Hennessy built that Caddy cts-v wagon, weighs over 4400 lbs and it runs 10's. I think he even got it in high nines. I've seen old and newer fat ass cars go fast.

17. Larry T

Larry T

My thoughts on 60's and earlier genuine street cars (not race cars with tags.
    12's and lower== PDQ

13's == Respectable

14's and up == I hope the AC works.

18. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

The high horsepower new cars are running high 12's. Anyone who says they're running 12 or less, post a time slip. Otherwise, it's just talk. Shit, at every hangout on a Friday night there's a bunch of 11 second cars, until they get timed. Then the number of 11 second cars seems to get real low. Like none.

So, without time slips, it's just talk.

19. Thanks - I have seen plenty of heavy cars go fast (like Fat Jack's and Mooreland's 40) - all it takes is horsepower, that's why I asked about it

20. Go to San Antonio Raceway and you'll see him and his cars. He'll let you know real quick how fast his 47 is.

Last edited: May 16, 2013
  21. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

22. brandon

brandon

again.......when you can get a 2000+ hp car down the track on a 275 drag radial over 200 and in less than 7 seconds:eek::eek::eek: ....you can hook up 700hp ...........with some work and tweaking....:D:D:D

23. hotrod brice

hotrod brice
    from molino,Fl.

Ha ha! He said camel bumps:)

24. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

lots of smoke being blown on here---my old vette ran high 11's 45 years ago and was a bitch on the street---same car now mid 12's in drive and a pussy cat around town...

25. SimonSez

SimonSez

I think that for old school technology, e.g. iron heads, carbs, no turbos, low 12's or 11's is pretty decent.

My '32 has run 11.5 through the mufflers and it is very streetable with a stock converter and 3.5 gears but there is no interior or side glass in it so it doesn't weigh all that much. It is running a fairly mild 454 so is just the classic big motor/small car combo.

The time-slip is a bit hard to read but it's 11.56 at 115.3 mph

Attached Files:

26. Truckedup

Truckedup

I just had a few typical Muscle Cars...I did drag racing on motorcycles that were faster than many cars then...
    I have no Hamb vehicles that can break into the low 15's...and now a 17.5 would be nasty :D

27. trollst

trollst

Just ran up against this very thing, young guy in town with a Jap car done over told me he could wipe my 36 easy, I agreed with him, EXCEPT for......anyone could walk into a dealer and buy his. He couldn't buy mine, nobody waves at him going thru town, everybody waves at mine, it may not be as fast as the average tuner car, but its WAY cooler. AND, it makes the proper noises.

28. GasserTodd

GasserTodd

Any 11 second hot rod is fast.

My bucket got to 9.95 @ 143 but as a local hot rodder enjoys pointing out to me, his wife ran 9s in their bucket back in the 70s.

Most 10 second and faster hot rods are pigs on the street. Mine was a bit of a pig on the dragstrip too, but we can repair it.

The second picture is a steel bodied 26 T, with a very strong 350 and was street driven everywhere, and with little more than a change in rear gears and some nos, ran 9.30s. Guy upgraded to a stronger 350 plus an 871 and got it down to 9.0 @150.5 but its street manners werent so good. Blowers make heat and theres only so much radiator that you can fit on a bucket.

Attached Files:

29. Tony

Tony

In a street ready hot rod high 11s, low 12s would be plenty quick in my opinion.
    That would be a car you could drive there, run, and drive home.
    Next year i plan to run my 32 to see just how quick it is in street trim.
    I need to update the trans first cause the T5 will not handle it, but with a 6-71 blown 331 with 7lbs of boost, a 5 speed and 4:11's im thinking it should be a solid mid 11 car, and i honestly think i'm conservative with that.
    That would be street trim.
    Time will tell.
    Tony

30. gearhead78

gearhead78
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Dallas TX

mid 12's (low 8's 1/8) and quicker is fast in my book of old tech car. My old OT 98 TA was so easy to make fast it was not even funny. Just a few used parts scrounged from the message boards and I had a car running 7.0's-7.1's on motor in 1/8 and drove anywhere.