Register now to get rid of these ads!

351 Cleveland Valve Covers on a BBF 429/460??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Paprikakitty, May 15, 2013.

1. Paprikakitty

Paprikakitty
    from WA

I'm gonna play the girl-card here because I am in the process of learning, so please don't be harsh. Can you use 351 Cleveland valve covers on a BBF 429/460? I am trying like crazy to find aluminum finned valve covers for my 460. The few I am able to find have some form of writing on them, which I'm trying to avoid. Any help is appreciated!

PK

2. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

pentroof valve covers ?

3. i'm not familiar with either motor , i would guess that they are different in size

i'm sure others will know more

tell me......if you are using your girl card , when can guys use the guy card?

4. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

5. Paprikakitty

Paprikakitty
    from WA

Oooooh... I don't know about you, but my card comes flying out when I feel like I may be treading on "guy-territory" and I have to admit to them that I am clueless on something... Which may be more often than I like!! :rolleyes:

6. Paprikakitty

Paprikakitty
    from WA

Henry,

THANK YOU!! Those fit the bill PERFECTLY!

7. Fiddytree

Fiddytree
    from Durango

8. Fiddytree

Fiddytree
    from Durango

PS: moon may have something, too. mooneyes.com I think.

9. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

You're welcome! Good luck and post up pics if you can.

10. Nope - they don't do the 429-460 valve covers

11. blue57ford

blue57ford

Fifteen plus years and waiting. I emailed Mooneyes about 15-16 years ago about finned valve covers for a 429-460 and was told that they had something in the works and that it would be soon.

Last edited: May 16, 2013
  12. Paprikakitty

Paprikakitty
    from WA

It's a shame about the Mooneyes too, because I actually liked those the best out of everything I looked at. But I'll be happy with the Blue Thunder! Hopefully you all don't mind if I ask for input on aesthetics here. This is the first project I get to "call the shots" on as far as how I want it to look, but I don't have a lot of experience to draw from. I need to find twist on caps for these covers. In your opinions, is it too much to have finned caps too? Breather cap suggestions would be appreciated. I am going for a slightly industrial look, if that makes sense-minimal polished surfaces.[​IMG]

13. sunbeam

sunbeam

Try MustangsUnlimited.com

14. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

Ok you have piqued my interest. What is this big Ford going into? In my opinion it is best to keep everything as tight and compact as is possible. Fords tend to be long, I like to minimize that. If the cylinder block and heads oil pan and front dress are all painted one color it looks like a big blob to me. I like to break it up with contrasting colors. With the distributor up front and center it can either add to or diminish overall aesthetics. IMO stick with small body distributor and don't use those godawful yellow or red big diameter wires. Use a black or brown bakalite cap and find some Flathead plug wires with the cloth covering of your choice. Would look so cool. Watch out for ugly air cleaners too. I have a really cool one off a '54 317 Ford truck engine. It will fit a Holley 4 barrel carb. I'll straighten out the dings and clean it up for you if you want it. It's really industrial looking, my gift to your project if you want it.

15. tjm73

tjm73

Somebody made adapters that let you put BBC valve covers on the BBF. That woudl get you what I think you want if you could find who made them and get a set. You could also have someone make up a set if you can find someone with the skill to do so.

16. Weasel

Weasel

I think I have a pair of those adapters somewhere - forgot what they were supposed to adapt to what, but now that you mention it....

17. Paprikakitty

Paprikakitty
    from WA

I'm a little hesitant to say what I'm working on due to the fact that this forum makes it clear that it is somewhat "purist" in the terms of traditional rods. But, since I've started this project there have been so many times that my internet searches have led me here for the answers I'm looking for, I wanted to learn more from the obvious vast knowledge here! I am putting this motor in a 1979 Sundance Jet Boat... The final goal is a clean, reliable, "industrial" BBF 460 in a flat black (with a very small amount of silver metal flake touches-making use of a small amount of the original paint) hull and a fair amount of brushed aluminum accents.

P.S. I added a picture of my future water rod to an album in my profile.

Last edited: May 17, 2013
  18. Paprikakitty

Paprikakitty
    from WA

I plan on doing some research, but do you think they might be something you'd be interested in digging up?

I am curious about the specs and how it changes the set up. Did you ever use them and if so did they work well?

Last edited: May 17, 2013
  19. Although I like your boat, you are right to keep the questions more related to things that fit the forum or you may get blasted a bit. Good job on your part so far. ;)

20. tjm73

tjm73