Register now to get rid of these ads!

Old state water slide decal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Red71, May 14, 2013.

1. Red71

Red71
    from Illi-noise

just thought i would post up a picture of
    what I found in a thrift store. I will probably put a few
    on my 57 Ford.

[​IMG]

2. swimeasy

swimeasy

I have bought a few of those right here on the HAMB you can sell the ones that ya don't want pretty quick if you price them right! Hint- I like the Wyoming.

3. slammed

slammed

Yep. That 'Iowa' one needs to be burned. Nothing but corn shucking, backwoods ignoramuses at every stop. And those are the nice one's!

4. Dirty Dog! Nice find, if you want to sell the Washington one shoot me a PM.

5. surfcaliforniasurf

surfcaliforniasurf

6. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd love the South Dakota decal !!

7. banjorear

banjorear

Very cool! Great find.

8. alchemy

alchemy

You can still buy those things brand new, but not sure if they are decals or stickers. When I was at Wall Drug in SD a dozen years ago, they had every state in the Union.

9. I have a bunch of em, but no Washington yet. I only collect the vintage water slides. Any Ive seen in recent memory have all been stickers. But I havent been to Wall Drug in ages ... if anyone has the true water slides it would be them. Maybe I could pick up a jackalope while Im there =)

10. Red71

Red71
    from Illi-noise

I will look at these and decide what states I will most likely never be in with
    my 57 Ford. I might part with those,all though I have been to Washingotn
    twice. I dont ever see me making that trip in my 57. But that decal probably
    wont be available. I will let you guys know.
    I am sure of the Il, Iowa,and Wisconsin I will be in with it.

It would be cool to drive to all of them so I can
    display them truthfuly....bucket list?

11. Yeah that's the best idea ... Keep em and stick em up when you drive through the state. Or =)

12. 1941coupe

1941coupe

I bought several of these on ebay a while ago they were water slide type, most are from the 50s or 60s and may fall apart if you use them I here guys spray clear coat them first ,iput several on a 54 merc and had no problem,,punch in vintage decal and have a look

13. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

I have always thought it would be cool to create decals for every state that have decals either with drag strips or old circle tracks on them along with an outline for each state showing it's general shape.

There are collectors out there right now looking for things like this but to my knowledge they don't exist except maybe for a few tracks like Daytona.

I love old decals because they bring back so many wonderful memories from the old day's of racing.

Jimbo

14. I'm looking for these very decals for my teardrop camper.

15. cannuk

cannuk

I have around 35 state water slide decals for different states if anyone is interested and yes I know whats a Canadian doing with them EH

16. pastlane

pastlane

I love old decals too! I Picked these up today at work (estate sale)

Attached Files:

17. big creep

big creep

hahaha one of my best buds is from Iowa, i love that dude too! hes a cool martha focker!

18. FANTM58

FANTM58

I`m in for the Colorado one,,,if you got one
    PM me

19. barqsnut

barqsnut
    from Pearl, MS

Don't get your hopes up when trying to use an older decal. It can fall VERY apart when you slide it off the backing.

20. These are "Beachy Keen"!

Love them with the pin-ups!

21. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

I'd scan them into the computer and keep the image if nothing else. There is decal material you can print on your home printer with....

Thats just me, they made it this long, I'd scan and repop them and use the repops on my car.

22. 41 C28

41 C28

I came up with an old Colorado decal and held on to it until I made the trip to Pueblo a couple of years ago in my 48 Dodge.

Attached Files:

23. barryvanhook

barryvanhook
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mesa, AZ

I'm needing a "See Rock city" decal ... anyone?

24. I'll buy a WA state decal if anyone has one...

25. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

For everyone looking for decals from all 50 states doing a Google search for state decals to find them.

I believe the company is located in CA. that has them. Please keep in mind they are reproductions and not original decals.

These reproductions I believe look exactly like the originals and are silk screened and yes they are water transfer style.

You can also find them on E-Bay for sale.

Hope that helps. Jimbo

26. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I'm a sucker for travel, event, mfg decals also. But ya have to remember they were generally sold in states or places that you had visited. Like post cards for your car. Conversation starters at travel stops. The more you traveled, the more badges you had on your windows.

But unlike contingency decals used in racing (the decal gets you money, the mfg doesn't really care if you use their stuff or not), the mfg just want folks to see and photograph their decals. So, unless you've "been there, done that" I'd shy away from using them as patina or some sort of "faux provenance" if my vehicle or I didn't have a connection to the decal or story to tell.

But I would keep / replace those your car had "checked the block" for prior to you owning it! Those are genuine keepers. You might even want to get two, for the rebuild later! Gary

27. wayfarer

wayfarer

Chris, I collect old travel decals from the northwest. I'm sure I probably have an extra Washington one. I'll take a look and see what I've got.