Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Estate Sale Score: Land Speed Record Scrapbook

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stingbean, May 14, 2013.

1. stingbean

stingbean

I picked this up for 8 bucks at an estate sale this weekend. It's a scrapbook of newspaper clippings and magazine articles from the 1930s and 40s covering the exploits of Sir Malcom Campell, George Eyston, John Cobb, and Ab Jenkins. I realize that most of these photos are probably on the internet already, but if anyone sees any pictures or articles that they'd like to get a better look at, let me know. I'll try to wrestle this thing onto my scanner and get a better image to post on this thread.

As I was flipping through the book at the sale, I couldn't believe it when I saw that some of the pages were made from pieces of a large 1934 or 1935 Chevrolet dealership poster!

Attached Files:

2. stingbean

stingbean

more pages:

Attached Files:

3. stingbean

stingbean

yet more pages:

Attached Files:

4. stingbean

stingbean

additional pages:

Attached Files:

5. stingbean

stingbean

Last Page:

Attached Files:

6. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

This is why I go to so many estate sales.

7. 51 mercules

51 mercules

That is so cool!What a great find.Thanks for posting.

8. sololobo

sololobo

Awesome score, really cool on the old Chevy material. Thanx for sharing this cool find. Congrats ~sololobo~

9. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Nice save. There's no better score than proof of history and events. Very well done.

10. A great piece of history for 8 bucks! :) HRP

11. OLDTGUY

OLDTGUY

Nice find! Thanks for posting.
    JJ

12. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Well put, Fred.

13. WOW......this is a nice piece of history!

14. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

Is there anything in there mentioning OJ Wilkinson, the Salt Lake City Auburn, Cord, Duesenberg dealership or Diamond T trucks? I'm looking for more info on this Diamond T pickup truck. I started a thread sharing what I know so far at http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=801156

[​IMG]

15. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

cool find. as cool as that scrapbook is, I'd rather have the dealer poster in one piece. love that old dealer stuff.

16. Ratrod37

Ratrod37

Cool one of a kind find.

17. 32 bowtie

32 bowtie

Great score !!!!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

18. millersgarage

millersgarage

19. stingbean

stingbean

Hey Barn Find,
    I haven't had a chance to sit down and read the clippings yet, but I will definitely keep an eye out for any mention of those names.

I checked out your Diamond T thread; that's pretty neat. My Great Grandpa drove a truck for the Grab-It-Here grocery store in Central Illinois sometime in the 20s/30s and I 've always heard that he drove a Diamond T.

Last edited: May 14, 2013
  20. stingbean

stingbean

It's funny you should mention this. The aluminum foil covered car was the first thing I thought of when I began looking through the book at the sale!

21. stingbean

stingbean

I know what you mean. I'm kind of glad that all of the pieces of that poster weren't there. If they were, I might be researching ways to dissolve antique paste right now.

22. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Stringbean, what a great find. Do you ever wonder just how much history gets tossed in the bin? You did your part to preserve a little of what we love.

Nice.

23. aircap

aircap

I frickin hate you.

24. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

25. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is one cool find.

26. jesse1980

jesse1980

That's awesome. I have a Mickey Thompson book I started like that. Great find

27. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

Thanks for looking into it. I'm curious about the cover of the scrapbook itself. How common was it for people to have something custom bound like that with their name on it? Were "World Record" scrap books mass-produced?

28. stingbean

stingbean

A little about the Scrapbook itself:
    There are 171 hand-numbered pages in the scrapbook (back sides of pages aren't numbered). Only the first 15 pages of the book have anything on them. The Chevy Dealership Poster pieces are bound into the book, not attached to the type of pages attached throughout the rest of the book.

At the sale, most of the men's items had the name William Fergerson on them. He was the one into dirt track racing (see my other post of photos) and had several back issues of "Four Banger" magazine. Martha Fergerson was his sister and the one who had recently gone into assisted living; hence the estate sale. I'm not sure if Clarence was another brother or their father. The attached photo and caption were all I could find on Google (from 1962):

"As mailing room employees busily assemble sections of the 150th Anniversary edition of The Nashville Tennessean, Clarence Fergerson hefts 10 of the 5-pound paper, biggest ever published in Tennessee, and wonders how the little newsboys will manage to deliver their loads."

There was a second scrapbook of the same size and cover type about the Indianapolis 500 prominently displayed in the living room with the pricier items that was marked $85. I saw it when I first went to the sale Saturday morning, but didn't get a chance to take a look at it as I was chasing a 2 year old. When I came back in the afternoon (during naptime), The Indy book was gone but I found the scrapbook that I bought in one of the bedrooms marked $35. As this was a Friday/Saturday sale, everything was 50% off, so it was already $17.50. And since I was there about an hour before the sale was over, I asked them if they could do any better than that and they said $8... I'll take it!

29. stingbean

stingbean

I Forgot the photo:

Attached Files: