Register now to get rid of these ads!

Found Another one Rotting Today... :(

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by James427, May 12, 2013.

1. James427

James427
    BANNED

Poor 57 Pontiac Convertible just rotting away in a boat storage yard hidden between a few boats. What a shame... I am going to work on saving it.

Attached Files:

2. thats a crying shame

3. swissmike

swissmike

Ouch, that's rough! What a shame - that's a rare car. Could probably be used to convert a donor car into a convertible...

4. AZ 54 BELAIR GUY

AZ 54 BELAIR GUY
    from AZ

Damn! Thats a big dollar car. Hope you can get your hands on it

5. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

hope you can rescue it , that s a sad photo ,

6. big M

big M

Hope you have success, it'd be nice to have another '57 Poncho ragtop back on the road.

---John

7. lht

lht

57 pontiac drop top rare as hens teeth grab it

8. SuRfAcE_RuSt

SuRfAcE_RuSt

Salt Rust .. wouldnt be surprised if the frame looks like swiss cheese :eek:

9. ckunsman89

ckunsman89
    from cocoa, FL.

The worst part is that the people who let the cars rot like that either will not sell them, because they will get to it "one day" or they want way way way too much for it. There is a guy in my town with acres of classic cars that are rotting from the ground up.... He will not take any less than double what they are worth, and some have been sitting since the sixties.....What a shame.

10. scott39

scott39
    from Boston

Hope u can save it!! That's what I did to my wife's 52 chevy 2dr but now I need to sell it.. Good luck!!

11. Donor car? Frame rot? Look at those pictures again. When these frames rot the outer frame rail goes and the X-member doesn't. The door is open. If it was that bad the thing would have a sag or a twist in it. Not sure? Stand on one side of the rear bumper and bounce your weight up and down. If it doesn't flex through the middle, it's fine. Given the quarter is all there and they all - even my southern never seen salt Chieftain sedan - rot in the bottom of the trunk lid - I bet it's a lot better than people are making it out to be.

12. somebody saved it...it could have been crushed [like a lot of cars] years ago .
    go get it!

13. 52HardTop

52HardTop

I know of a couple of tail lights if they're needed. Been sitting in our office for a few years.
    Dom

14. jesse1980

jesse1980

I can not believe you found that car. That is awesome and very rare. Great find. Please save that car!

15. James427

James427
    BANNED

What I can see of the body, it doesn't look too bad other than the decklid. If I am not mistaken the new floor pans being made for the 57 Chevy should fit. The interior is toast. I didn't want to poke around the car too much without the owner's permission so no close inspection. If it can be had and removed from there I will get it done. I hate to see a cool car rot!

16. 19Fordy

19Fordy

It will cost over 100K to restore that Pontiac. What a shame it sat for so long.

17. James427

James427
    BANNED

Sure... if you just drop it off along with your checkbook. But some of us like to chip in with the labor and will work real cheap if it is our own car. ;)

18. Chevy55

Chevy55
    from Nebraska

Get her bought. Should be able to find a 55-57 Chevy decklid for cheap or maybe a 57 Pontiac 4dr parts car to rob. I am thinking the Pontiac floors are somewhat different from a 55 that I had but you could probably modify some easier than starting from scratch.

19. Cruiser

Cruiser

It'll be interesting to see if there are parts in the trunk like the side stainless etc. Find out the story on the '57 then you can make a good decision. :D

CRUISER :cool:

20. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I had a black one with a 347 and three two's. Went to Arizona years ago. Grab it!! Lippy

21. that's a star chief 1 of 12789, or a Bonneville 1 of630.

Last edited: May 14, 2013
  22. raidmagic

raidmagic

So, what part of Tampa?:D

Just kidding hope you get it. Let us know I'd like to check it out if you do get it.

23. Ive got mixed feelings. Granted its a rare old car and I enjoyed the pictures. If it was my car I would be pissed off. first you didnt find anything. It wasnt lost. Whoever owns it placed it there. and now you have posted pictures of it on the internet without the owners permission. Just my opinion but I dont approve.

24. James427

James427
    BANNED

Well then Mr. Old (fart) Wolf you better get equally mad about just about every other photo out here on the HAMB because MOST of them were not taken with the owner's permission and posted on the internet.

Secondly, if you could read, you would see that I DID find another one ROTTING. Rotting being the verb in the sentence of the action being described.

PS: Glad it's not your car because then that would have given me a second reason to think you are an #$%$%^%

PSS: Whatever you do... don't go to this link here like 1,605,000 other people did because you are sure to get VERY upset about all of that unauthorized car posting by 6.900 other people.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=330573&highlight=rotting

Last edited: May 14, 2013
  25. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Hope you save it. Too many cars like that just sitting and rotting - the owner having no idea how to rebuild it, nor likely the dough to do so. Lots of examples in my part of the country - let's save these cars guys and gals.

26. Does Rocky know about this?

27. 327Eric

327Eric

Did you get a look at the front? I know its kinda pie in the sky stuff, but there appear to be trim holes in the rear quarter, below the side trim, possibly for the aluminum washboards. Could it be a Bonneville, and if so, a Fuelie?

28. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Hopefully, it gets saved.

29. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

Did a google maps (with photo) on the address in OLD WOLF's avatar, jeeze, I hope nobody posts that yard without permission...

30. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

If you don't want people taking pictures of your possessions don't leave them sitting out for all to see. It's a free country last time I checked and there were no laws broken. What next? Don't listen to the radio without asking the station?