Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My AV8 flathead build.. blown...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by hotrodderhaag, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Stormin' Norman1

Stormin' Norman1

Just went though your build thread. Cool hot rod like what you're doing with the car. Sounds great too!

3. loving it, and of course as always getting it running is one thing. Ironing everything else out is always another task. You'll get there. Like others suggested, the air mixture/temp from the charger could be making matters hotter, along with your waterpumps. I didn't watch your vids, hows your timing? Too much advance can make it run hot, doubt thats your problem but something to take into consideration.

4. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Started working on clutch linkage and getting some loose ends tied up.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Sturgis that was gm and skip that did that to highlight his pumps. "The polish tank engine" Not to cool it as it did not increase cooling with the 4 pumps. Having the exit in the rear of the block seems like a neat idea, never tried it. With a infared heat sensor gun check the back of the block, cyclinders 4 and 8. They are usually 5 to 10 degrees hotter then the rest of the block. Just thought it was interesting anyway, dont want to distract from a good thread either.

Hrh, once you get it dailed in it'll run cooler. I just leaned out my car that was running rich. Car now jumps up to 130 and driving around, stop and go driving, it stays at 180-190. Before i could drive the piss out of it and it wouldnt go over 160, which is too low and not good for the engine over time. I was surprised just leaning the mix had that much effect.

Timing, mixture, clean block, and a good rad make all the difference. All in good time. Look forward to your updates.

6. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

I started the front end today. 1936 front axle beam with model a split wish bones, reverse eye spring with 3 leaves removed

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Reversed the spring, still have to trim the upper leaf. I used a set of rolls and a press brake at work. Has it done it 5 mins. Came out very very nice . I will post a few videos later

[​IMG]

8. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

All glass beaded, a couple Coates of paint and it will be reassembled

[​IMG]

9. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

One of the best characteristics of these real American made old cars is the ford script on almost every part . [​IMG]

10. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

11. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Much better looking now.... Could use anther inch of drop but im happy with it . the rear is next .....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. toker

toker
    from Sweden

how about a fanshroud? a shroud would force the fan to suck air thru the rad. As it is now the already smal fan will take it´s air from al over the place.

Greetings from Sweden :)

13. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

I thought about that.. I may have to hand fab one . I'm gonna work on that now that you mentioned it . Thanks for the tip!

14. Why was the fan made smaller? Was it for room problems or because of some wives tail.
    I never did understand the reason. I got an idea it was because somebody thought the fan would restrict air flow at high speeds which is not true. Air is compressible and will go through the radiator at high speeds whether there is a fan or not. Flex fans flatten out at high RPM to save horsepower and the engines stay cool. The end of the fan is spinning at a high speed and should not restrict air flow.

Let me know what the thinking was on this fan being truncated.

Thanks

15. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

I made the fan smaller to clear my upper water necks. The earlier intake manifold sets the charger up higher than what it was normally supposed to be... So I trimmed 1 inch off each blade. That's the only reason I made it smaller

16. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

If everything is properly maintained , a flathead will
    Run cool!
    A cut down fan isnt your problem

17. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Really digging it! You'll get it sorted out. Its hard to tell though. Without actually driving it, what its going to do as to the running hot. I ran mine with no fan for a long time and it was fine unless I got stuck in traffic for more than a few minutes like a parade or something.

18. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

i think im just to concerned about the engine.. it really does run good and i am going to have to weld a pipe pung into the fabricated water neck for a temp sender, also i am not running any thermostates. which i have seen work well and work against you in situations. i need some restriction in there to circulate water. so im ordering a set of the later style drop ins that should help also. not to mention the carbs are not dialed in and im still working on what to do with my distributor.... In a normal flathead engine, the intake is drawing vaccum through a tube for the brake on the distributor, on a supercharged engine, your now pressurizing that tube... which then makes that brake work differently... and suggestions? a friend and i came up with jsut backing the adjustment bolt off the brake as far as possible making the brake inoperable...
    anyways, The car is coming right along. i have a big family cook out on the 4th of july, my entire family drives all there cars, so this car will be ready by then..

19. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

You still have vacuum off the carb base, could you plumb in something from there?

20. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

a stromberg doesnt have a vacuum port on the base of the carb.:cool:

i think im gonna have to talk to charlie and have him do up a dizzy that will work

21. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Actually thinking of you tapping the carb adapter - may be ugly or not work?

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

22. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Check with Bubba on the distributor see what he thinks.

23. X2. Bubba is a distributor god

24. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Ok guys well today was a good progress day... I kinda slammed my front axle together to make sure it all fit well. So today I installed new perch bolts, all new bushings, had to heat and bend the steering arms and pitmant arm for clearance. Re packed hubs, all new cotter pins and grease fittings , the front is finally done ! I got all the front tin on and mostly bolted tight . There will still need to be some tweaking so i imagine ill have it all back off tomorrow . I need to install light bar and front bumper yet . I want the car complete and original minus the hood ad side panels. Basicly on my agenda is to plum the brakes, wire the car. And take it to the exhaust shop for the rest if the pipes . After all that she will be relatively completed . Other than some small odds and ends . So far I am very very happy with how this car has came along. It sure was a big difference from when I got it. I can't say enough how much I appreciate all the comments and ideas that you all have given me. Since I started this build, I have met some great people and got the opportunity to see some amazing parts and car collections . I posted alot of pictures on this thread. I wanted a person who was interested in building an AV8 to be able to see what is does really take to assembly a car like this. It was alot more work than I first planned , but that's how every project goes. And to think I didn't have to do any body work at all! It give me a completely different outlook on guys who build there hot rods from scratch. You have my respect !
    Well guys here are a few pics from today... I was very happy with the progress. Hope you enjoy. Until tomorrow......

Last edited: May 13, 2013
  25. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

The car is super cool, a real traditional build! Great job.

26. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

27. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

28. e-tek

e-tek
    from SK, Canada

29. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Definitely needs a slight adjustment in ride height.. But it looks great!

30. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

The only thing it's getting is 2 inch lower in rear.