Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The History Of Los Angeles

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Feb 15, 2010.

1. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Hi 440

A few blocks from Valley blvd on Eastern you would turn left on Norelle St. and it would go down hill and make a left turn at the first block.

Right at that turn on the corner was our house, there was a side street that went about 150 ft or so and now it looks like a long street for more homes

Not too far from the park on Eastern

Don

2. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Hi 440

Opps i misread your post, El Sereno is east of the L.A. City about 5 miles just north of Valley Blvd on Eastern Ave up to Huntington Drive.

Next town over is Alhambra going east.

Don

3. theman440

theman440
    from Las Vegas

Is El Sereno a street or Town? I'm originally from LA county and I've never heard of a town called El Sereno.

4. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

It's more of a neighborhood, like City Terrace, Lincoln Heights, Hollywood Hills, or Silverlake.

5. theman440

theman440
    from Las Vegas

OK got it - I live in Las Vegas and the area is called "Centennial Hills" - even though there aint no hills around here...go figure.

6. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

7. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Gas Ronda & McEwen Hemi-Cuda story

As this stuff was almost 50 yrs ago i think they were on the same day?

One sunday afternoon in the mid 60's at the Beach myself & Pat Foster were doing a shake down on a new blown sbc 41' Willys for Bill Bagshaw.

Gas was doing some testing with one of those new long Logghe framed AFX Mustangs with the injected Cammer engine's and four speed'

As i reacll they used the Detroit Locker rear ends, well something broke in there and the car made a sharp right turn right over the guard rail and did several endo's.

It was very lucky to be a sunday as the stands half way down the track were empty, because the car ended up in the first row of seats and Gas was ok.

So little while after that deal we were setting there behind the line ready for Pat to make a run in the Willy's and they fired up the new Hemi-Cuda rear engine fuel burner.

They ran the car with a set of 10" by 16" dragster slicks and with the Torque- Master trans it would not pull them and just bogged the engine down

So to get it to smoke the tires they put on smaller rears 9" by 15" like used on gas dragsters, but they had a smaller diameter that lowered the rear of the Cuda

Well that got overlooked i guess because just about at the finish line lights it took off and boy did it ever fly, Tom McEwen was ok but the Cuda was total mess

Well after seeing those two events Pat did not feel like doing any driving that day so we packed it in for the day, Bill and i both said yes too lets go home

Good day for Gas & Tom - bad day for the race cars

Don

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  8. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great story ^^^, thanks Don.

9. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Hi Hair

Thanks for the kind words about my post, just tuned in to your 51' build and what a neat boy you have and get to work & learn together on his first car.

My first car was a 51' chevy too a 2 dr hardtop, working in the local Hobby shop for 75 cents an hour each day took my a while to save the $325.00 to buy it in 56'

I wished i could have worked on a project like that with my dad to get to know him better, he was a very quiet guy and never said much but still a great dad to have.

Looking forward to seeing how the 51' turns out, do you know about the Diamondback tire guys near you as they can make up some special tires for the car for the look you want.

Later, Don

10. 296ardun

296ardun

Santa Anita, 1939:
    [​IMG]

11. 296ardun

296ardun

First version of Santa Anita, 1909:

[​IMG]

12. 296ardun

296ardun

Lucky Baldwin cottage, 1938, near Santa Anita...if those walls could talk, Mazooma posted a later picture of the cottage elsewhere...lots of rumors about Lucky and the trysts that happened here...

[​IMG]

13. 296ardun

296ardun

Bing Crosby at Santa Anita, 1930s...Oliver Hardy was also a regular, as Hollywood producer Hal Roach was the co-founder of the track's second version in 1933. Roach produced most of the Laurel and Hardy series
    [​IMG]

14. 296ardun

296ardun

At one point the train stopped at Santa Anita:

[​IMG]

15. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Hi Doug

Did you guys wear A1 Pegger pants in your neck of the woods, i guess because El Sereno in 55' was very close to Boyle Hights and the history of the special clothing the Zoot Suit guys wore it rubbed off at Wilson High

We had a fashion show every day at school and helped to get the Peggers in all sorts of colors, like pink to go with a pink & black shirt and socks to match and a 1/2" wide black suede belt

I had mainly white - tan - pink - turquoise and no Black as those were for the bad ass dudes only, if you wore the black ones it would be for one day only as you would get thumped by one of the real ' Fonzy ' dudes that did have turned up shirt collars - leather jackets and the D. A. hair cuts.

The night before you would lay out your wardrobe for the next day with shined shoes to impress the girls, as they would be looking good too with the poodle skirts and sweaters and the cool shoes called flats

Each day i would walk Patty home my fav at 15 ys old, but then i would see her dad a Motor Officer just pulling up on his bike [ like what are you doing with my little baby girl ] and kinda put a damper on my thoughts.

Fun stuff back then, Don

Last edited: May 2, 2013
  16. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

This is my Dads hot rod in 33' a 25' T with some neat stuff on it like a:

Fronty head
    Winfield carb
    Ruxtel 2 speed rear end
    Cockpit contorlled exhaust cutout
    Lowered and those cool Bufallo wire wheels

The crank was drilled for oil pressure but was prone to breaking so after awhile Dad sold it to my uncle Dick that put a stock head & crank back in it and had a more reliable car then'

These pics were at my gramps house a little south west of L.A. city

I guess that is where i got my racing genes from as my uncle went on to be the driver for the ' Tommy Lee Speedster ' until the war broke out.

Uncle Dick went 148 mph in the car but did not get the record on Dec 7 as they were ready to run but the meet got cancled, will post some pics of the car next.

Don

17. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Will try again for posting the T pics

Attached Files:

18. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

The last 2 pics are the Tommy Lee car with my Uncle Dick Nowell at the wheel and the Offy engine builder

Don

19. mammyjammer

mammyjammer
    from Area 51

WOW!!! Pop must have been the Cat's Meow cruising L.A. in THAT car!!
    Cool pics!

20. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Boy you are right there, i sure would like to have that car now.

A lot of guys of that age never carried the car passion forward maybe because of WW2

Dad just never talked much about his playing days, so there is a lot i do not know about that car

Don

21. Alta Loma Terrace, elevator tower. Never been here, but the tower still exists. Built to serve the residences on the top of the hill. No streets on top, garages below. High Tower Drive near the Hollywood Bowl.

[​IMG]

22. big creep

big creep

funny i did a job on this street. garages are still there and a few homes now over the tower.

23. big creep

big creep

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&amp;ll=34.109388,-118.339121&amp;spn=0.001069,0.001416&amp;t=h&amp;z=20&amp;layer=c&amp;cbll=34.109503,-118.33912&amp;panoid=Hk_zYkVTb1pZWc__NA8cVg&amp;cbp=12,0.15,,0,-0.43&amp;source=embed&amp;output=svembed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&amp;ll=34.109388,-118.339121&amp;spn=0.001069,0.001416&amp;t=h&amp;z=20&amp;layer=c&amp;cbll=34.109503,-118.33912&amp;panoid=Hk_zYkVTb1pZWc__NA8cVg&amp;cbp=12,0.15,,0,-0.43&amp;source=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

24. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How cool is that, the Tommy Lee speedster! What a car!

25. TJratz

TJratz

Might not be appropiate here but I recently got the video game L.A. Noire for my PS3. Its set in 1940's Los Angeles. Cool graphics and a bunch of actual locations and cars.

26. 50Fraud

50Fraud

My grandparents lived in one of the houses at the top of the elevator during the late '40s. Our family referred to the location as "Broadview Terrace"; maybe that's the name of the street with the garages. There's a sidewalk at the top that connects about 8 or 10 houses, like a walk street. The walk is accessible by the elevator or by a VERY long stairway at the West end.

I rediscovered this place a few years ago and explored it on foot. It's all still there and in excellent condition. Wonderful, characterful neighborhood!

27. Zamboanga

Oh, the monkeys have no tails in Zamboanga,
    Oh, the monkeys have no tails in Zamboanga,
    Oh, the monkeys have no tails,
    They were bitten off by whales,
    Oh, the monkeys have no tails in Zamboanga.

Oh, the carabao have no hair in Mindanao,
    Oh, the carabao have no hair in Mindanao,
    Oh, the carabao have no hair,
    Holy smoke! But they are bare,
    Oh, the carabao have no hair in Mindanao.

Oh, the birdies have no feet in Mariveles,
    Oh, the birdies have no feet in Mariveles,
    Oh, the birdies have no feet,
    They were burned off by the heat,
    Oh, the birdies have no feet in Mariveles.

Oh, we'll all go up to China in the spring time,
    Oh, we'll all go up to China in the spring time,
    Oh, we'll hop aboard a liner,
    I can think of nothing finer,
    Oh, we'll all go up to China in the spring time.

Oh, we'll all go down to Shanghai in the fall,
    Oh, we'll all go down to Shanghai in the fall,
    Oh, we'll all get down to Shanghai,
    Those champagne corks will bang high,
    Oh, we'll all go down to Shanghai in the fall.

Oh, we lived ten thousand years in old Chefoo.
    And it didn't smell like roses,
    So we had to hold our noses,

http://www.zamboanga.com/html/monkeys_of_zamboanga.htm

28. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Wow! I hadn't heard a clean version before. :D

29. The PC police probably had it bulldozed and hung the owner.