Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Gene (Moonlighter) Cromer's A/G Willys Resurrection

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Quain Stott, Aug 31, 2012.

1. I
    I have always thought the chrome "pent roof/pent house" valve covers were best looking, especial the Mercury lightning bolt ones. I'm calling this engine "Fe Fe", and she's gonna stop sleeping on the porch, and go run with the big dogs.

Mtn Goat likes this.
  2. jrlcraft1

jrlcraft1

3. jrlcraft1

jrlcraft1

4. jrlcraft1

jrlcraft1

5. jrlcraft1

jrlcraft1

6. jrlcraft1

jrlcraft1

7. brian55lvr

brian55lvr
    from ma

8. OldColt

OldColt

What a class act! The lower side panels appear to be anodized gold, and the torque converter is Moonlighter blue.

--- Steve ---

9. my1971buick

my1971buick

Car looks great it was cool to see it in person again not that she's painted. She is slick! Can't wait to see her lettered up again. I got paint and two good hands if things fall thru with the other person who is lettering. I've studied the car severely these past few months.

10. OldColt

OldColt

I enlarged and sharpened some of the old Moonlighter pics, but the image is still pretty grainy.There are two words. The first one is "Ford", and the second one looks like Po ... something. the second word looks too long to be "power". I'm guessing "Ford Powered". --- Steve ---

11. 37willysgasser

37willysgasser

12. Hows this?,,Ford Powered. HRP

[​IMG]

13. TennesseeZ

TennesseeZ

Man that car is SWEEEEET! Thanks to all for sharing, helping, being involved with this resurrection. This is the best thing on the 'net right now. I can not wait to see the wheels in the air!

14. Stormin' Norman1

Stormin' Norman1

Willys gassers, my all time favourite. Great to see one come back to life.

15. I knew it was "ford powered" just hoping he would put it back on.

16. OldColt

OldColt

Yeah, I'm in agreement with you Willys41. I've only seen the tilt nose shown in primer, but with the 1967 theme, and blue color, I'd like to see headlights and "Ford Powered" on it. --- Steve ---

17. I have no idea what Gene has in mind but when the lettering starts we will all know. HRP

18. Frank Taylor

Frank Taylor
    from Iva, SC

I think I heard the headlights are going back on.

Mtn Goat likes this.
  19. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

The lettering is going to be just like it was when the car was blue. At one time it had a pin stripe but Gene didn't like it so he took it off, it won't be going back on this time. Go back to page 31 post 611 if you look close you can see the pin stripe on the door and again on the hood leaned against the car on the other side.

Mtn Goat and kidcampbell71 like this.
  20. I do know that Mark Finyo (Tophat) that originally lettered the car passed away in 2007,,so I don't know who is going to do the lettering. HRP

21. Frank Taylor

Frank Taylor
    from Iva, SC

I've seen it debated on who the guy was, he went by the name Mad Striper when he came to Anderson from Atlanta in the 60's. I saw him several times at Harvey's trim shop and did really great work.
    What happened to the picture you posted, all I see is a little box that won't open????

22. People called him different names top hat ,the mad stripper,,probably other things.

I sold him Sign Paint and brushes for a number of years,,he was in Anderson at least every other month buying supply's.

I'm sure if he was still around he would love to do the job again.

I won't embed the video but this is the link. HRP

http://youtu.be/eTD_qM8GwfU

23. dirt42

dirt42

I don't want to high jack the thread but I know a bunch of folks have tired to figure out information on Marc and I found this posted on the HAMB back June 5th 2007.

The artist, Marc Fenyo, was known as: 'The Top hat,' 'The Pinstriping Wizard,' 'The Mad Hatter,' 'Swordsman,' 'The Mad Striper,' and many others. He was a true master at the art of free-hand pinstriping. For forty years, he traveled coast-to-coast pinstriping at car shows, street rod events, hot rod runs, motorcycle rallies, race tracks, tractor pulls, rodeos, renaissance festivals, swap meets, truck stops, gas stations, car washes, antique stores, county fairs, flea markets, and any where else that he might find something to paint.
    Marc Fenyo masterfully decorated cars, trucks, motorcycles, eighteen-wheelers, buses, boats, airplanes, helicopters, submarines, tractors, window fronts, golf carts, bicycles, skateboards, guitars, wagon wheels, antique coca-cola machines and gas pumps, refrigerators, lawn mowers, and anything else from penny loafers to finger nails.
    Marc Fenyo was a free-spirited, open-minded, brilliant artist and showman and was quite a character. He was full of positive energy and had big an impact on those who knew him. He loved his craft and his customers alike.
    In September 1977, he was featured in Time magazine and has been recognized by multiple newspapers. He has also been featured in street rod, hot rod, biker, motorcycle, racing, and tattoo magazines.
    He was born in Freeport, NY, on Jan. 26, 1945 and he past away of cancer at age 62 on Apr. 29, 2007.
    He was an Air Force Vietnam veteran and he was a wonderful father of eight and grandfather of fourteen.
    He will always live in the hearts and memories of us all.

Mtn Goat likes this.
  24. pontman

pontman

This rebuild is the greatest!!! I've been sitting here at work going thru this for the last 3 hours, just awesome! Every aspect is spot on, Quains fab work is top notch! Paint work amazing! Interior work looks real good. The b/w picture of Genes wife standing next to the car, well you can tell she approves this of the rebuild by the look in her eyes. She looks like every kid does on Christmas morning, EXCITED! The best is seeing Gene working on his car, great therapy for him to get out in the shop and do what he does best. OK OK, his best work is probably done behind the wheel I'm sure! Can't wait to see it finished! Craig

25. my1971buick

my1971buick

Story time with Gene
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQxmDxuQkig&feature=endscreen&NR=1 found this on Darrons you tube site because I just needed to hear the roar of some engines, cause its been raining so much here! Cant wait to hear them at Steel In Motion this weekend, and All of the Gassers at GREER DRAGWAY :) Its gonna be an awesome two weekends!

26. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

It was already posted by Darren back on post 137 but it don't hurt to see it again. For the ones that hasn't followed from the start there is one on post 131 of us taking the car out of storage, the first time it saw daylight in a long time, it was also by Darren Grey.

27. OldColt

OldColt

I couldn't get the audio to play right on Gene's story telling video. Was Gene driving both cars during eliminations? If so, I guess the track announcer had to find out who was driving the Willys in the final, so it wouldn't be Gene in the Mustang versus Gene in the Willys.

--- Steve ---

28. Gene's pal Melvin that went with him to all the races drove the Willys,,Gene let him win but had to slow down,,he said Melvin was running about 65 miles an hour.

I remember Melvin saying,,this was his first race,he won and it was his last race.

The promoters were not happy,, HRP

29. Thats funny.. I'm sure the way everything has got political that would not fly today. I remember years ago when KS was touring with Johnny Rocco he made the comment to a crowd.... If you didn't cheat a little you didn't win.

30. jrlcraft1

jrlcraft1

You might have to zoom in to read but here is a good article on Gene.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.