Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Ambr 1955

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, May 6, 2013.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. Never really cared much for 'coupesters' - the short turtle deck always seems out of proportion - but this one is outta sight! The short deck works well with that long needle nose and the gentle T cowl/Coupe pillar transition is reminiscent of both the 23-25 T and 28-29 A roadster cowls. Very nice!

[​IMG]

3. seatex

seatex

I've always loved that little car since Von Franco built it. Does Steve still have the matching gold Triumph, and did Franco build that, too? Didn't Weesner do a painting on it?

4. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

The decks been lengthened slightly in the original, The rear axle is pushed back a tad, and the body has been shortened through the door opening, hence the AMBR winning proportions. I am ripping off the basic body proportions for my car, but with a slightly shorter wheelbase, basically just moving the front axle back behind the grill shell.
    Louie will be chiming in any second I bet...

Last edited: May 6, 2013
    volvobrynk likes this.
  5. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

I will always remember seeing that car at the HAMB Drags and taking ton's of pictures of it.

Chris Nelson
    Kansas

6. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

I like both versions alot! I've always wanted to build a track nose turtle deck T like rays original.

7. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Beautiful hotrod, liking the chrome reverse, open hood better. Gorgeous color.

8. Remember when I first saw Steves car at the 2nd (?) LSRU... Awesome!

9. S.F.

S.F.

that car has always made my pants fit tighter

volvobrynk likes this.
  10. The original belongs to a friend in Easley, South Carolina.

[​IMG]

11. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Holy GUARDS RED batman!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  12. autobilly

autobilly

Look'n good!

13. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

You can take the Dawg outa the chicken coop, but he'll find a way back. Looks good no matter what color it's painted. That's a classic!

14. El Jefe

El Jefe
    Alliance Member

Need to get the original and the clone together.......they both look incredible even sitting still. I'm in the process of putting a fresh interior in the gold one and Lee Pratt helped me drop in some metal floors. Just tryin to tighten it up a little bit. The matching Trumpster was built by Scott Craig who did the paintwork on the golden rod, but it has been changed a couple of time since and is now white pearl w paisley.

15. GaryC.

GaryC.

One of the all-time classics!
    Here's some art I did of it.

Attached Files:

16. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Ya, where's Louie "Andregg Tribute" in this deal? His is awsome and he even trusted me to whack some louvers in it for him...[​IMG]

Outback, Stogy, dana barlow and 4 others like this.
  17. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

I KNOW NOTHING!!! (in my best Sgt Shultz voice)

Wow Ryan, thank you, thank you, thank you!!
    For bringing the lil roadster up to the forefront again.
    I am plugging away at getting our tribute on the road this summer. I am so tired of seeing it just sitting in the garage. This has been a really trying past two years, we are on a real budget with our build, and I chip away at the things I can do cheap and myself. But its time to throw some money at it and get it done. Upholstery and Chrome are my biggest concerns right now....BIG BUCKS!!! I am lacking a few important pieces that will "make" the car that also are also pricey, but for the time being we may have to do with what we have (namely a dropped 32 Heavy axle).
    Interest seems to be peaking on our car, and I think I have even managed to grab the attention of Paul Martinez of the new mag, RoddingUSA, and I hope to start courting a few of the other magazines as well.
    Uncle Ray deserves all the praise for coming up with the unique proportions, and he deserves the ever continuing "tight pants praise" for the car and its longevity. I am very honored to have him as my uncle and its an honor to build the tribute....I hope we do it justice.

Thanks to all for looking in.....

PS...the original photos tell the story, I was just fortunate enough to be the one to scratch my melon long enough to figure out its "mystique"...

And I am fortunate to even have a bona fide piece of the original car...its the top of the driver's side windshield stanchion cut off when the windshield was made taller in the late 60s...we cherish the artifact.
    [​IMG]

bowie, Outback and Stogy like this.
  18. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Also thank you FalconGeorge for being so loyal to our build,
    and a huge thanks to Chip (need louvers ?) for the amazing and perfect louver job....I cant thank you enough Chip.
    Thanks Tman for the linkeroo....
    You too Gary C for that rendering, I havent forgotten, one of these days it will be in my collection of roadster memorabilia as well.
    Steve, wouldnt it be amazing to have all three together in one spot??????

Last edited: May 6, 2013
    bowie, Stogy and volvobrynk like this.
  19. El Jefe

El Jefe
    Alliance Member

Name the place and let's do it. And we'll get Franco there also. How about the Lonestar Round Up in 2014.......that's something to shoot for. I know people, we could be featured for the show.

20. flamingokid

flamingokid

They're both nice looking cars in their own right.

21. Hey Steve... You actually think those people will let you in...??? Hahahaa!;)

Last edited: May 10, 2013
  22. I'm a big fan of this roadster & every one of its incarnations. Here is the feature from Feb. 1992 R&C.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Wow, can you imagine.....the shame is the cars and a bunch of the original players are scattered across nearly 3000 miles......we will definitely have to figure something out.

How can you just not love this car and its proportions, styling, and attitude?
    Barris photo:
    [​IMG]

Barris photo on Rodding & Restyling (note, pic is mirrored, right side, no pitman arm)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Outback, Stogy, edcodesign and 4 others like this.
  24. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

the desoto motor is arriving shortly!!:eek::D Still hoping to weasel some actual dimensions out of you;) but not holding my breath! I think I have a pretty good idea, nods as good as a wink to blind horse!!;)

Outback likes this.
  25. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

To be clear, Louie hasn't really revealed any of the "secrets" (not for a lack of trying on my part, mind you) to me, more like I told him what I figured had been moved, and he didnt deny it...:D Still trying to get him to tell me "how much" but Ray has sworn him to secrecy...;) But a guy can figure out a lot with good photos, vernier calipers, and a pocket calculator...

26. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Approximately 1953: (from the Gene Winfield book)
    [​IMG]
    Approximately 1970:
    [​IMG]
    ...The above picture shows the roadster after being completely changed by one of its owners who was tired of hearing "thats the Anderegg Roadster" at all the shows it attended. The windshield had been modified by this time to prevent further traffic citations.

Last edited: May 13, 2013
    Stogy, ct1932ford and volvobrynk like this.
  27. If I had a truck, trailer and a damn gas card, I imagine I could borrow the original for the Reunion at the Round Up.

I don't have any of that though. Maybe I can talk Tommy into going. I could hitch a ride. ;)

JH

Outback likes this.
  28. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Based on extensive off-forum conversations with Atwater Mike(thanks a ton for your insight Mike, and I am not done pestering you yet.:D;)), I am going to tenatively withdraw my statement that the deck is lengthened in the original car, pending further investigation. The rear axle is pushed back for sure, all parties concur on that count. I no longer think any of the three bodies are exactly the same.The mystery deepens...

Last edited: May 16, 2013
    Outback and volvobrynk like this.
  29. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

If all three cars ever get together, let me know. I will be there, tape measure in hand...:p

Outback and volvobrynk like this.