Register now to get rid of these ads!

Did I sleep to long...car pricing way up

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dauphinee, May 9, 2013.

1. Dauphinee

Dauphinee
    from New York

Did I sleep thru a couple years this winter.
    I know my name is Teddy and my mom calls me bear but I don't think I slept thru a couple years.

Last years prices for cars and this years is like night and day.

Have the car prices increased that much?

Did we bounce back that quickly or are people trying to get more out of their rides than they should be.

Just curious

2. TULSA

TULSA
    from Tulsa

Really hard to say unless your talking about a particular style of car, certain model or year... I think they are just as popular as last few years... maybe more guys are able to buy?

3. henry29

henry29

Tri-five Chevy's, 47-55 Chevy trucks, and early novas have really went up in price around here.
    They don't sit for long either.

4. jesse1980

jesse1980

They been going up. It is only certain cars though.

5. 1954fordkustom

1954fordkustom

It's all the tv shows that sell cars for crazy amounts of money

6. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

They only went up if your a buyer.

When your sellin they mysteriously drop....

Why is that

7. Cars are being sold from areas where the local folks
    don't have money ....

So I get calls daily from people wanting hauling done out
    of Georgia - Alabama - Tennessee - North Carolina - South Carolina

Jim

8. KRB52

KRB52
    from Conneticut

"Saw one just like it on Barrett-Jackson go for..., so my pile of twisted metal and rust have got to be worth 80% of that." It's the same thing with the OT used cars, prices are way up. In my area, apparently, if it is worth registering (OT cars, of course), it's worth at least $2500. Someone in my area has advertised on Craigslist an early 30's Dodge Bros. coupe, trunk, no rumble seat, that they say runs, has "just a thin line of rust on the running board" and they want $7,000 for it. From the pictures, it doesn't look bad, but not $7K worth, to me.

9. You must not do the shopping at your house...EVERTHING is going up and the end is not in sight

10. no.scar.no.story

no.scar.no.story

barrett-jackson syndrome strikes again. Stopped to look at an old 55 GMC pu a few weeks back. Mostly rust, tires flat, sunk in the ground nearly to the frame. The old timer said "I'd probably sell it, but those are worth a lot of money right now... Saw one sell on TV the other night for over $10,000."

11. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I think the B-J auction blame is misplaced. B-J prices were a heck of a lot higher six to eight years ago.

on the other hand, they do have influence on particular models. Certainly late 40's to early 50's pickup trucks.

If I were to point towards a contributing factor, I would look to overseas buyers. Due to the weaker American dollar, they are able to get more bang for their buck.

remember this, it isn't the price of gas going up, rather it is the value of the dollar going down.

and that is going to continue at a quicker pace

12. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

Ive noticed stuff going up lately. especially this spring it seems.

13. The asking prices have gotten way out there - but a roll of cash is still king.

14. randy

randy

Yeah, asking prices are up because of the TV shows, but most cars aren't selling at that. Show up with cash, hit them with a gut wrenching lowball and usually you can pay earth prices before they let you walk away.

15. BRENT

BRENT

Quantitative Easing. The cost to borrow is low, bubble will burst....again, real soon. Lol

16. Ive noticed the same thing. People think they have gold in their back yards.

17. That's how its always worked for me. Of course the deal of the century always comes up when I'm flat fuckin' broke.

Bob

18. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I too have noticed rising collector car prices.. I wonder if they are getting their price...

19. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I see prices for parts and cars climbing. I think part of it has to do with how many salvage yards have crushed out in the last decade. Cars and parts are getting somewhat harder to locate. And if you want to buy my Nomad, it's only $35,000! :)

20. I Drag

I Drag

I think the asking prices are way up. But thats not the selling price.

21. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

No they are not up!.....guys are just asking crazy money. Look at the completed listings on epay, You will see that many are being listed every week for big money, But very few sales.

22. Dollar value down and every thing feels high priced including cars.
    Dollar value up and things feel kind of reasonable or cheap.

The overseas buyer is really enjoying the dollar value differentiation , stuff feels cheap to them in the US markets.

23. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Buy High - Sell Low - The Average American Way

24. pastlane

pastlane

Buy high, sell low. I lose money on every deal but I make it up in volume

25. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

Did I wake up to read another whine?
    If the price is too high they don't buy,a real simple way to live.

26. swissmike

swissmike

Slow economic recovery. People generally have a little more disposable income again for toys.

27. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

I wish selling prices were up. I cant seem to give away some of the cars I try to sell

28. Fuel to burn

Fuel to burn

Things are definitely up around here. In 2009 there were some great deals on the local CL and they would be up for a week or more. There are still good deals out there but they go a lot quicker.
    My recent score on a 59 merc is proof of that, I was the first to show and I bought it on the spot. Four years ago I didn't have the money and few others did either.

29. Motomike43

Motomike43

The economy keeps getting worse and the cost of living keeps going up. Anything and everything is over priced. Its not just cars and its happening fast. I dont see the end of it yet.

30. kracker36

kracker36

Through scientific deduction, I have determined that people put cheap ass 350 Chevy's in their hot rods; brag about how much cheaper they are to build; and then ask astronomical prices for them.