Register now to get rid of these ads!

"Truly Rare"kustom on Ebay

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by showrod, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

Cars like that are the reason kustoms/customs were just about finished in the 70's!!! They had to get wilder and wilder (over the top) to win car shows. Take a look at some of the stuff all the other builder's built..... Over the top! I personally like some of them but I still like the 50's style best.

2. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

RIKSTER RULES! The work is amazing. All lead i'm sure from that time period, But DAM! It is still fubar to me.

3. edgeabilly

edgeabilly

Fuck yeah!!!

I second that!!!!

4. Like warts?

5. Thats OK Jeff- no insult intended...I personally like very mild customs with open wheelwells and no skirts etc....more of a modern custom is my preference I suppose...
    That Prob seems weird to some who would know my profession!

6. DickShappy

DickShappy

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dick, welcome to the board and I'm glad to see that it looks like the car found a good home.

I've never been a big fan of the "gotta have one more body mod for ten more show points" way of customizing and wish that the way they judge customs at the indoor shows would go more along with the new way that the GNRS judged the Worlds Most Beautiful Roadster this year. Too many show customs were built with the ISCA points sheet hanging on the wall in the shop to make sure that they had all the modifications that could earn another point rather than having a total package that flowed from bumper to bumper and everything worked perfectly together.

But even if we don't care for the excessive mods we should appreciate the workmanship that went into the build and applaud that.

8. Hit every single branch on the way down too!

9. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

Happy Dick wants you to know that he is rich AND famous

10. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

11. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

[​IMG]

Here is a blue metalflake version of Truly Dare, at the 1970 Rod & Custom Car Show at the New York Coliseum in New York City. Anyone know when the car was painted blue?

12. tlaferriere

tlaferriere

Interesting. I now have this car and will it the market soon.

Last edited: May 9, 2013
  13. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Pictures, or it's not happening. Stu

14. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Looks like a UFO!
    I'd drive it.

15. tlaferriere

tlaferriere

Yes, this is how the car sits today.

Attached Files:

16. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Sometimes, the "good old days" were scary.

17. wood470

wood470

Thats what I llike about this forum,everyone is so accepting of another mans work. The cratmanship looks beutiful on that car, the rest is someones opinion of whats cool. If everyone built the same car it wouldn'tbe much fun.

18. 1927 Death Trap

1927 Death Trap
    from CT

I've seen the car in person not too long ago. The pictures don't do it justice. It's pretty cool up close.

19. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

No ones denying the skill. Everyones not going to like the same cars. So, if everyone LIKED the same styles, it wouldn't be fun either.

20. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Thanks for the pictures. That's how it looked at Rocking Rods in Bloomington, Il a few years ago. Stu

21. Roth eqeals cool! Barris not so cool! lol!

22. I like it a lot, aside from the taillight scoops, and even that is fixable, if you aren´t afraid to change the history.

23. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Yeah, but may as well pop rivet an airfoil to the deck lid of the Matador as make any changes to Howard's Buick, and don't start me on history and what happened to Jack Walker's/Ayala's Ford!

24. I suppose that´s going to be the trouble with owning that car. Damned if you do, damned if you don´t. Anyway, I like 95% of it very much.

25. Ugly today, but amazing work!

26. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lots of "zombie posts" lately. But that aside, I "get it". I don't like it but I get it. In the pics of the car in it's "element" and the time period it looks right. Clearly it came from the time when if some's good more's better. It should also be said that regardless of the final outcome it clearly took a high level of talent to create. I see several good ideas on it, several changes that by themselves woulda been a good place to simply stop. But that was the time and the way back then. Considering the shape it's in currently the man knew what he was doing because it's still here, and add to that, several have cared for it and kept it alive. As much as you'd want to, you can't change it much without losing it's character, regardless of how out there it may be. Not a bad car to get some singular ideas/inspiration from.

27. Gangsters pair a dice

Gangsters pair a dice
    from Earth

I have to agree!:cool:

28. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well said. I wouldn't have designed it that way but I don't hate it. I'd rather drive that than an 80's street rod with pastel paint.

29. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

One day, the easter eggs will be all the rage again! ;)

30. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep exactly. The world would be pretty boring if we all liked the same exact things. That car and all of the "show" cars of it' era were built to score show points at shows and each modification was geared to earn the maximum points that it could. No hood so you didn't have an open hood breaking up the lines. each sculptured body panel added points. It also had a hell of a futuristic Jetson's look to it at the time as if it could have been a "space car". Radical, far out and too wild trumped pure classic lines in those days.