Register now to get rid of these ads!

52 stude drag car "the Maggot"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by balonybob, Nov 24, 2012.

1. FordPrefect

FordPrefect
    from Canada

I can remember him running at Cayuga Ontario, it was called SuperBoss dragway back then. I think he was M Stock. I remember he always staged at a bit of an angle to give him more roll out on the lights. Cool find. I'll see if i can find any photos.

2. Grandadeo

Grandadeo

Had the pleasure of racing for two years with and against Pete back around '66 -'67. For now I'll just say I know well what the back of the Maggot looked like during Junior Stock Eliminator rounds. We were running G/Stock so I had to try and chase him down. Never happened.

Lee

3. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

There was a well known Stude lower class stocker that got some ink in HRM circa early '60's...I wonder if this is the same one? The car I remember won its class at the nationals, then was disqualified because bore was something like .001 over the limit! The article said that this call was determined to be based on a slight difference between readings between owner's and inspector's micrometers and was not considered to be deliberate cheating...
    I do not remember enough to know if that is the same car.

4. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

There were a bunch of stocker Studes in the late 60s and early 70s until NHRA did away with the older cars. Bob Dwyers Crockagator 54 ran out of Division 2. They rank right up there at the top when it comes to inovations or whatever term you want to use. I think the statute of limitations is up by now anyway. Dwyer showed me his spring loaded carburetor studs years later. Linkage would bind up and slightly lift the front of the carb up. That explained to me why the car was jettet so rich it made your eyes water

5. neil smedley

neil smedley

I knew Peter and John Magel probably as well as anyone......We were very close during those days. I would be glad to share the real stories and correct some of the above posts. You are right on in the fact that they were both reclusive guys....I raced a 50 Oldsmobile in the late 60`s and Peter was quite willing to share his knowledge as was I........I built my first Mopar in his garage. The stocker protest that he led at Niagara did NOT close that track for a year or even for that day....all it did was get him banned for the rest of his life. I took his Stude over there 3 weeks later and Dean Johnson didn`t even want the car there......

6. Grandadeo

Grandadeo

Thanks Neil for adding a little clarity to the starting line protest misinformation. I didn't bring it up in my earlier post but since my brother and I were one of the Junior Stockers out there guess I know as much as anybody about it. As I recall it was the Sunday of a big NASCAR meet. Yes NASCAR, Niagara had switched from NHRA to NASCAR. Jon Lundberg was the guest tower announcer. The sit-in was not protesting for more prize money, it was about Junior Stock money being cut to raise other eliminator groups prize money, at least that's the way I remember it. Niagara was not shut down for a year or even a day as Neil said. I'm guessing we were out there for maybe 15 or 20 minutes and then moved back to the pits. I think we even raced that day but I'm not sure about that. I do know we were not banned from Niagara and continued to race there until we sold the car - My brother moved to Florida and I went in the Navy. I also remember us talking to Dean Johnson about the whole thing after the fact and everything seemed to be smoothed over.

Years later I talked to Jon Lundberg at the '96 NHRA Hot Rod Reunion at Famoso Drag Strip. I shared with him the lesson I learned during that sit-in. When your a small group shutting down the big show in front of a few thousand spectators and there's one of the best announcers in the country and HE'S got the microphone you're pretty much doomed from the start, no matter how noble you think your cause is.

Lee

7. Studes and protests.....gotta love em'......

8. Grandadeo

Grandadeo

Dang Stillrunners, the '58 in your avatar is the same thing we were sitting in in the sit-in. Delray tudor sedan, 348/4spd.

Lee

9. neil smedley

neil smedley

Thanks for the reply, Lee......Do you recall the 67 Nascar Nationals ?......rain plagued weekend caused the eliminators to be run at a later date.....John Magel in his 54 Hudson ended up winning that meet.....If you still have any pictures of your 58, I wish you would post them...Do you remember Gary Westberg`s 58 Chevy panel sedan delivery ? He teamed up with Gary Westfall the following year with their 55.......Do you remember Paul Dilcher`s K/S 59 Chevy "Ben Quick"...283 2 barrel 4 speed? After that he had a 55 Chevy powerglide that he sold to Daryl Summerton.....Im still in regular contact with Paul and Daryl.....I had a 1950 Oldsmobile 98 2dr that ran in N/S one class below Peter`s M/S Stude....The name on my car was "Summer Love"....A couple of months ago the Gas Monkey TV show had a segment on restoring a 50 Olds....I was flabbergasted to see my 50 Olds flying down the track.....They showed it for the entire 16 seconds it took to get there lol....In 1968 I switched to a 50 Olds wagon which I named "The Sneaky Turtle"...

10. Great stories! Thanks for sharing. Never a dull moment here on the
    HAMB.

11. gnchamp

gnchamp

Neil & Lee I was at that NASCAR event in 67 but did not know what the protest was about..
    I knew Pete at Cayuga when I built a 62 Lark Wagon N/S and he gave me some tips.. He pointed out his 232 was making MORE power than my 259 based on Power Speed calculator!! He was one of my Heros and I wondered what happened to him..I also thought there was an Isky cams decal on the rear window??. I did not think the car ran 14's more like mid 15's?? I remember he drove into Cayuga and put on 1 Stahl-Moroso tire that he borrowed to see if it was worth buying.. He also hung a floor mat under the Tranny and left on the 2nd Amber (while cross staged)...Till the Vanni Bros stopped him on the return road... Thanks for the memories!!

12. Grandadeo

Grandadeo

Balonybob, I'm really not trying to highjack your thread and turn it into the "History of Junior Stockers at Niagara." But your new Stude was a major player in that history.

Lee

13. I love threads like this on the HAMB, and I love that car. I cant say I am a huge fan of the 1952 Stude, but that one, with the white exhaust, and the shovel handle shifter, and the history, I'd keep that car just like it is, other then bringing it back to life.

I really want to hear it talk out those pipes man, you gotta take a video.

14. Carrw

Carrw
    from Auburn NY

Don't blame buyer but seller had no permission to sell without approval,Peter got screwed big time!

15. I had seen the car on Craig's list about a year ago with the price dropped to $6500. Was just wondering this week if it ever sold. I wanted to find that car a few years back, but hit all dead ends. Always loved that Stude!-MIKE

16. sasquatch12

sasquatch12

Great great bunch of info. I too watched the "Maggot" at Cayuga back then.
    I remember it launched pretty good.

17. Carrw

Carrw
    from Auburn NY

Carr Magel Peter Magels brother wants to make contact with Neil Smedley in worst way. Only thing I didn't do is spend 19.95$ on locator. may be forced to .Tight! have spent at least 8 hrs so far with zilch. must have a cell phone .Even called Southwestern race way scene of your glory days.Please call 315-252-0813 or [email protected] 8 hrs does not include the time I wasted on Clarence. Even went thru the remains of the Clarence garage where the two of you did illegal things to M ? Stock.Only found dirty magazines.

18. Grandadeo

Grandadeo

I will pass the message on to Neil.

Lee

19. neil smedley

neil smedley

Thanks Lee....I will call Karl later today....

20. Grandadeo

Grandadeo

The power of the H.A.M.B.

21. Carrw

Carrw
    from Auburn NY

Grandadeo can't believe Neil's reply in less than a day thanks to you.With some of the dates on the threads (2003-2004)I didn't know if any body else was like me-read it every day.Had a great talk with Neil.About an hour. He wanted the dirty magazines back! I gave him Peters address in Buffalo and a phone no.on the floor where he stays. Maybe Neil can shake him as its a problem for me but I don't know what shape he's in.The Gasser Gang is doing/does a Niagara race track(?) reunion every March with videos.Will take if he can go/wants to go. How does a Florida guy know so much about PETER/The Maggot/Western NY.Are you an Ex? Thanks for your help. Carr Magel If you ever have any spare x would like to talk to you 315-252-0813. If you do hurry as at 84 I may be close.

22. Carrw

Carrw
    from Auburn NY

Out of line about dates .Some place else I saw a lot of old dates.All current here. ( 2012-2013-2014).

23. ModelAPunk

ModelAPunk
    from Buffalo NY

Cool thread! Glad more info is being found about the car!

Well figured I'd post the info about the Niagara Drags Video Reunion since you mentioned it in the thread! It's Sunday march 30.
    Maybe some more people there can help you out with info on the car!

Attached Files:

24. Carrw

Carrw
    from Auburn NY

Hey Punk thanks for the date! Haven't heard from the Maggot as yet.

25. ModelAPunk

ModelAPunk
    from Buffalo NY

Sure Thing! Hope You Can Make It!

26. Carrw

Carrw
    from Auburn NY

27. Carrw

Carrw
    from Auburn NY

First Peter did not die years ago he died on Aug. 11,2014. A blessing because he was sick and hurting so bad he didn't care anymore that the guy who had the Maggot on consignment had, not sold but given the Maggot and another stude away for 2000$ and kept the $. I would have given him more than that, put it in my garage and every time I thought of him
    climbed in the seat ,grabbed that crazy shifter,pushed in the clutch,closed my eyes and in my head watched the lights go from Red to Green. Now as to the strike being the reason that
    Peter was banned at Niagara that's not so. Peter was banned because he was almost unbeatable and competitors would call the track the day before and if he was racing they were no- shows or if they came to race and if Peter was there would watch from the stands.
    The solution to that problem was to ban Peter and that's what was done using the strike as the excuse for taking an important part of his life away from him.
    As I am not the only one who is aware of the facts behind the ban( really the$)
    Ism surprised it never came out before.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  28. 1964 Impala SS

1964 Impala SS

Hey guys - Very interesting thread you had going on here. I just happened to be browsing thru Craigslist as I do every day and I came a across this add today (2-9-18) in the https://buffalo.craigslist.org/cto/d/legendary-survivor-the-maggot/6488830070.html The name had me memorized so I google searched the name and ended up at your forum. Anyways, I will also copy and paste the ad here so everyone will be able to see it. I have nothing to do with the sale of this car, but seeing the following that it had here, I though someone here may have an interest in it. Definitely a car that has a history!!

Legendary Survivor "The Maggot" - $1 (Lockport) hide this posting
    image 6 of 8
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    1952 Stubebaker Commandet

condition: good
    cylinders: 8 cylinders
    drive: rwd
    fuel: gas
    paint color: white
    title status: clean
    transmission: manual
    type: coupe

Looking for the next caretaker of Pete Magel's 1952 Studebaker the "Maggot". 60's &70's Western NY drag race stock class terror. Pete and the "Maggot" were a very big part of Western NY drag racing history.The picture of it racing is at Niagara in 1967. It is running and driving and pretty much still in as raced condition. I have it on the road and I have transferable paperwork in my name. I am asking 13K for the car but will entertain serious offers or even maybe an interesting trade. Also this it not a show and tell for this car so please only contact me if you are interested in buying.
    Calls or text only. I do not and will not respond to emails.
    716 867 1955. Ed

29. Grandadeo

Grandadeo

The Maggot Lives!!!

Lee