Register now to get rid of these ads!

How to split the windshield frame?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nhmikel, May 8, 2013.

1. nhmikel

nhmikel
    from NH

I have a 1936 Dodge truck windshield frame. The overall cond is good.
    Except all of the screws holding it together. Soaked them up good and still
    cannot get them out. I am thinking the screws are "fixed" to the square stock inside?
    So .....whats the best way to split it, use it and not destroy it in the process?

2. nhmikel

nhmikel
    from NH

Advice please

3. TORR

TORR
    Member Emeritus
    from BOSTON, MA

Did you try heat yet, or are you trying to save the glass and gasket?
    I've used a impact screwdriver before with success.

4. Fenders

Fenders

I've had good luck with Kroil, sometimes had to let something soak for a week though. (Kept it wet, a spritz once a day.)

5. nhmikel

nhmikel
    from NH

No heat yet...and no glass to save
    Would heat distort the rails?

6. 1947vert

1947vert
    from Minnesota

I would try some heat. Heat the screws, let them cool, repeat several cycles hoping to break the rust. Finally heat and try with the screw driver. If this doesn't work you will have to drill them out. Best on a drill press rather then a hand held drill. Best of luck to you.

7. TORR

TORR
    Member Emeritus
    from BOSTON, MA

If you end up stripping out the screw head, try the old trick of welding a nut onto the screw.
    The heat shouldn't effect the rails, if you use common sense.

8. Drill the screws out Seperate the frame. Then drill the remainder of the screw and Retap the threads.

9. Checkerwagon

Checkerwagon

I agree with 325w, "Drill the screws out".
    nhmikel;
    "No heat yet...and no glass to save
    Would heat distort the rails?"

You're thinking too much. This is basic stuff.

10. Heat the screws with your torch till red,take a screwdriver and place it on the screw's slots and tap with a hammer a few while they're hot....
    I know you are not suppose to use a screwdriver that way,but it works and an old one can be abused

11. Thats how I remove just about every screw or bolt when they are stuck. Ive watched guys drill and try and use easy outs and end up with no results. I havent touched an easy out in years.

12. nhmikel

nhmikel
    from NH

any other ideas?

13. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

The windshield frame screws in my Diamond T were stuck, and I have twice as many (split windshields) as you. Just heat the heads up red hot, let cool, repeat. Soak with pentrating oil of your choice, then lay the frame flat on the bench, get a screwdriver with a nice sharp point that FITS the slot, and whack it with a hammer.

That worked for me, I got all 8 out intact, and didn't damage the delicate stainless frame.

Brian

14. '54Caddy

'54Caddy

I just went through this with my Model A windshield. I wanted to use the old "weld a nut to the screw" trick, but the head was so small.

What I ended up doing was taking an old crappy screwdriver I didnt car about anymore and tig welded it in the screw slot. The heat from the welding helps break it free and the screwdriver no longer slips out of the slot! after getting the screw out, simply cut the screw off, resharpen the screwdriver on the grinder and move onto the next screw. I did all 6 screws in my model a windshield in less than 20 minutes!

15. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Another thing...get a piece of 1/4" steel plate in a vise, hang frame over it with the steel up where the glass usetawas. Now you can tap on the screws more authoritatively, perhaps use one of those hammer type impact driver. Once you finish utterly destroying the screw head, then drillitout!

16. nhmikel

nhmikel
    from NH

All good ideas thanks

17. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

X2 red hot

18. studeynut

studeynut

Have you tried soaking the frame in molasses/water mixture to remove all rust, soaking in for a week couldn't hurt. Then try previous mentioned methods.

19. Ralph

Ralph

20. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I'd save the drilling for my last resort after you have already damaged the screws and the other suggestions have failed. Kroil, heat and an impact screw driver. Trying very hard not to damage the screws. Once they break loose, it's a piece of cake.

21. I also would not drill untill last resort, I think heat is your friend right now.