Register now to get rid of these ads!

Let's see the NATS South photos

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deuce Roadster, May 5, 2013.

1. Harrison=Nostradamus
    I think you're spot on.:cool:
    And I too, have encountered the "power of the blue shirts" :(
    Nats South used to be a given, but no more for me. The thrill is gone....

2. I was there on Friday as well and all I could see was the demise of this event in the vendors, swap meet, and participants. I've been going to this show for many years and I hate to see it die.

Here's the big question: What needs to be done-radical or not, to breathe fresh life into the Nats South (as well as probably other NSRA events)?

3. slammed

slammed

Harrison made comments that are spot on in every regard. And apply to other 'nats'. Stale is indeed the term. Look back from each decade since 1972 (40 years!) carefully and see the peak and the present decline. You cannot 'go back'.

4. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

I believe the cut-off date should be 50 years, not 30 years. A 1963 is in this year, a 1964 next year.
    NSRA will not back up the year and admit that they made a mistake.

I realize that something had to change ... to let new blood into the hobby ... But HISTORY shows most rodders likes the pre 49 rule ... spectator attendence and car count show this to be true.

NSRA has a coupe of other major problems.

1 ) Same old locations. Knoxville has been the site since 1984 or so.
    Tired of the same old place.

2 ) Arrogrance ... most of the officials are eat up with it.

3 ) MONEY ... the cost for vendors ... is sky high so they do not come anymore.

4 ) Money ... the ticket prices all but eliminate a family of 4 ... ( Dad, Mom and 2 children ) from affording to go.

NSRA needs to read the childrens fairy tale ... the one where the folks KILLED the goose that laid the golden eggs
    Because that is what is happening IMHO :eek:

5. ........So true.

6. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

Sorry your friend had to endure such an Idiot where do they get these people! Had my fill of them at Louisville.

7. Deuce, you pretty well hit the nail on the head about the NSRA. :eek: I fell out with them over their attitude several years ago at York. Used to be a good show but I would not go to an NSRA show now if it was free.

GG's at Charlotte in the Fall is still a pretty good show. The Hot Rod Reunion at Bowling Green is a good event. Real hot rods and things to see and do. :D

8. the-rodster

the-rodster

NSRA - best show that I've ever been thrown out of.

Rich

9. jr9162

jr9162

Well, a friend and I went on Friday. He's a local and let me drive his original 40 Ford Deluxe Coupe that afternoon from Seymour to Maryville (down 411). Has a rebuilt 40 flattie (1972) with single Holley 94, stock 3 on the tree, and Columbia 2 speed rearend. We parked in the lot at the Foothills Mall (the locals cruise there on Fridays) and I couldn't believe the number of folks who stopped and gawked at the old patina'd 40 Ford. It gathered much more attention than any other shiny custom car there.

Back to the car show. It was a first time for me, didn't waste time in the vendor's building. Went in to go to the head and stop by the NSRA booth. Didn't care for the negative response from them but my friend explained their reasoning...

There were a lot of shiny street rods, more than I could gawk at and take pics of in one day. Never seen as many 40 Fords in one place in my life. Saw two nice custom 38 Buick Coupes, but believe I'll keep mine appearing stock. There were many 33-35 Buicks there, and 2-3 37's. I took pics of cars that interested me, saw some sweet 49-50 Fords, and 36 3/5 window coupes. Will post pics this pm.

I enjoyed myself, more hotrods than I've ever seen in one place. We just don't have that many to look at in Alaska...

10. richbud

richbud
    from east tenn

I went friday car count was 2165 broke down sat did not get there sat. Went sun got one wet ass. Might had bin 800 ppl left there at 50 im new and will admit its not gonna be 5 years before its canceld.What bummer.

11. We talked amongst ourselves that we thought there were more 40 Fords that we had seen previously! HRP

12. I agree 100% with the comments about where NSRA is going. I dropped my membership several years ago, but still "display" their decal.

Jim

Attached Files:

13. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

well "the times they are a'changin" and humans DO NOT LIKE CHANGE ,but whats the answer????? suggestions?

14. One is new places, got to see Winston Salem, Columbia, Knoxville and a lot of different areas in the country. How many times do I need to go to Louisville? I have been to every National and Mini Nats and Goodguy shows east of the Mississipi. Car counts are down maybe now there are other places with big enough areas to handle some of these shows. They are building new hotels every where.......

15. ^^^^^A locale change might recharge NSRA events, dunno.

With long term contractual agreements with city fathers and tourist and convention groups, it's still about the bottom line. Like any other for-profit business, when the expenses exceed the revenue, and the margins drop, you will see a change, i.e. format, location, year eligibility, etc.

BUT, when we, as car junkies, still pay out our $$, the show will go on. :rolleyes:

Hell, I went with four broken ribs; how pitiful is that?:confused:

16. 48 Poncho

48 Poncho
    from Tennessee

I have to admit that our whole group was pretty much bummed out the whole weekend. It is really sad to know what this show once was and what it has become. The rain made it miserable as well.

The topic of conversation all weekend was whether we were coming back or not. One of the guys made the comment that were not a lot of positives about it other than good times with friends you don't see much. The days of sitting around the Hotel parking lot and "bench racing" with our buds until 2 AM have changed to an early dinner and in bed by 9 or 10. As of right now we have reservations for next year just in case, but I honestly doubt if we will be back there.

For me personally, the cut-off date was when it started going down. 64 and back would have been great but I know that will never happen. As I've said before a lot of what is allowed now can still be seen on used car lots anywhere in the country.

I'm thinking of replacing this show with GG Nashville next year. I hate the thoughts of it in some ways but for me it would make a lot more sense.

Anyway I know Harrison and I agree with him. At this rate it may not even be 5 years.

48 Poncho

17. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

NSRA is doing a new event in So. Wa. this year.. I will go, give it a try (plus my parents are driving up from Cal to attend so its a chance to see them).

As Deuce mentioned. a rolling 50 yr cut off is what they should have done. I love all yrs of cars but the newer cars time will come.

A change of location may or may not inspire others to come. Knoxville is a nice location. But they need to figure out how to get more participation. Even at Knoxville there is room for car games (thru the tunnel to the other side). maybe that will get people off their ass and use their car, or figure out a cruz route at the various locations and let people cruz their cars (it is what makes GG Puyullap).

18. 32STUPRES

32STUPRES

Real simple solution to this problem...if you don't like the event or what NSRA has done - - - - Don't go!

Attached Files:

19. slammed

slammed

^^^^Really? The OP is wondering if the old days so to speak are gone for NSRA. They are. There is no fixing it. Hashing out why/what happened is good. Also nothing lasts (fads) forever. They had (!$$$!) a long profitable run. Off a sea of brightly colored cars in a h u g e parking lot. Genius.

20. I should have reported back sooner but on May 19,2013 my best friend Randy Nash (Deuce Roadster) passed away and I was so down and out I forgot about this thread.

My friend & fellow club member,James "Spence" Anderson passed away on May 23,2013 just a few weeks after attending the show.

HRP