Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Willys PU build....from sedan panels.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Kiwi Kev, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Weasel

Weasel

I am glad that body went to a good home. I heard about it before it became public knowledge and Lee Kay and I discussed it but too many projects going on now. I guess there'll be another Willys build thread coming up shortly. I guess it'll be finished by the weekend....;)

2. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Have you ever thought of doing the conversion for other people as a side job?

"MELTDOWN DRAGS"
    July 20, 21 2013 at Byron Dragway Byron Ill.
    www.meltdowndrags.com

3. Don't hold your breath for a build thread. Don't have any plans for it right now. I just saw an opportunity to get it so I did. I like the 37, 38 and 39 noses also but I am hooked on the classic gasser look of the 40,41,42. Preferably light weight fiberglass.(I think I am the only person who prefers that).

4. Crazy talk...

5. II Funny......I do side work for people but I like to keep plenty of time for my stuff, not just car stuff. A conversion like that would probably soak up too much time.

6. Couple of pics of the truck leaving my place.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The picture of the Willys frame standing in my mini junk yard reminded me of his one from a few years ago. This could be a "before" shot of the pick up from this thread. In this pic is the frame, front axle, fiberglass ft end and more.....

[​IMG]

Speaking of pick ups with 37/38 front ends, here is one from the 70's I like....

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 5, 2013
  7. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

that truck is badass but i really like one with a real bed

8. Xdrag48

Xdrag48

Great to see another Willys saved that can be rebuilt and back on the road in the future.Great deal too...

Steve

9. ShakeyPuddin55

ShakeyPuddin55

I'm with ya on that. Very very few competitive Willys gassers in the mid 60's ran steel front ends. I have a complete steel 41 front end with grill, etc. Mine will run light weight glass though. Race glass is more "period correct". No, my steel one is not for sale, just sayin. And I will also say that I think the 37-39 noses are UGLY :eek:

10. Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder.

11. 40WILLYSCRAZY

40WILLYSCRAZY
    from fresno

Again, WOW !!! What a great looking 60's era willys. And a lucky new owner. I cant wait to see pics when the new owner posts them....

12. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Ya, I'd run the '37-'39 long before the later stuff myself, but I'm weird! 'Course I'd also prefer race weight stuff, too. I don't believe anybody ever did light weight earlier stuff, at least not that I know of.

13. If I could get a dollar for everyone that slows up, speeds up to catch it or gives the driver a thumbs up on its way to the new owner. The new owner would be me. :D Kevin I'm sure that had to be just a little sad to see go.

14. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

If he get's THAT sad, he'll just MacGyver up another one!:D

But seriously, your ability to cobble together bits and pieces into whole, NICEASS cars is incredible.

15. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

Eveen though you sold it I'm sure you have a tear in 1 eye ... on to the next one.

16. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Kev,

Enough suspense already - who bought the truck and what are there plans for it?

You did a great job on it and I am looking forward to see what the new owner is going to do with the truck. When you said you were building it to sell I thought about it for a day or two but it just wasn't meant to be. I hope the new owner will share it with us.

Thanks for sharing the build with us.

Thor

17. I am not into the suspense thing, I am honoring his request because he wants to surprise his friends. He will be on here when he's ready and I don't think it could have gone to a better guy. I am looking forward to following it's next life too.

18. FEBCO

FEBCO

Back in the day, Hill and Zartman Fiberglass made a '39 front end for Jack Merkel's black coupe....A few years ago, someone said they made two.....Pork said he didn't remember a second one....Fred Bear

19. ROCKIT

ROCKIT

Is it staying in the US Kev, or is it on its way overseas?

20. It's not going overseas but it's not staying in the US, it's going North but kinda South, maybe a little East and West too. It's not going very far away but it is pretty far away. That's about all I know at this point.

21. Xdrag48

Xdrag48

LOL I love it,Keep them guessing.....

Steve

22. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

Ask him no questions and he'll tell you no lies!:D

23. Ha, I think I may know where it's going...lol

24. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Now i am really confused :confused: :confused: :confused:

25. brian55lvr

brian55lvr
    from ma

ha ha---im glad we cleared that up! :)

26. 3 weeks without an update ????? C'mon Kev what have you been up to ?

27. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

Again Kev,your skills never cease to amaze!

28. hcar

hcar
    from Santa Ynez

Jolly Good Build Kevin

29. 9sectruck

9sectruck

OK, here we go then, I'm the proud new owner of Kevs awesome pickup. I tried to keep it quiet until I got it home here in England and almost managed it, someone beat me to the docks by a couple of hours and took photos and posted them on the West Coast Willys Club message board.
    Having the opportunity to buy this truck was the motivation behind me selling my Austin Pickup which I'd owned and raced for the last nineteen years and now I've got it home it more than makes up for letting the Austin go.
    I've got to say I'm absolutely bowled over by the quality of the build having never actually seen it, shouldn't be surprised really as Kev really is an artist when it comes to fabrication and he's got the look spot on in my opinion.
    My plans for the truck are to leave it as is apart from some upgrades for drag racing as thats where it will spend it's time.
    I've got to give a huge thanks to Kev for working with me on this and for building such an awesome Gasser, I'll keep this thread going when I start working on it but will be a bit slower than Kev was as I've got a dragster to finish first.
    One very happy Gasser owner.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
    Baumi likes this.
  30. 33HEMI

33HEMI

Kev`s pickup couldn't have gone to a better home.
    Paul.