Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features gasser austins

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by burt21, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Hey Ray;

who's the guy with the long hair standing behind that truck?..TeeHee...j/k buddy.
    find my lites yet?

Rick

2. 9sectruck

9sectruck

Hi Rick,
    Guess you knew I'd show up here some day,good job the pic wasn't 10 years earlier, hair would've been on my shoulders then..........
    No luck yet still looking.
    Ray

3. Devonrod

Devonrod
    from london uk

Ray I have a couple on the starting line at North Weald I will have to find, this is the only other to hand- the guy in the pink cap is Ian Stewart.
    Dave.

[​IMG]

4. englishhemi32

englishhemi32

this is ours, 6 of us own it, bein built by Zannetec, was a devon but my dad converted it to a dorset and chopped it

Attached Files:

5. 9sectruck

9sectruck

That looks cool when do you think it'll be done, look forward to seeing it. Zanes building another Dorset too isn't he.
    Ray

6. Ray;
    You should be here.....
    Good to hear rom ya...
    Oh,we have moved....

Rick

7. MrGasser

MrGasser
    from DETROIT

ModelAPunk & fiat gasser...we just finished a restoration & update on the "ATTACK" car here at our shop, Skinny Kid Race Cars....it's now owned by Rob Leimenstoll and his father, who are members of the Great Lakes Gassers club...

...we fixed the chassis, installed a new 9" Ford rear, switched the steering to a rack unit, updated the cage, installed all new aluminum interior panels, plus, it got a new blown, carburated, 540" big block Chevy...

My buddy Charlie Vickery just finished up the new paint, it's now HOK Candy Red over an Orion Silver base, with Candy Brandywine lace panels on the sides...it is still called "ATTACK", but it now has new 12K white gold leaf lettering in a Rat Fink-style font.

You can see pics of the restoration on our Facebook page under the ROB LEIMENSTOLL album...I'll have pics of it in the new paint as soon as Charlie finish's the final polish any day now...it still has to come back to our shop for the new zoomie's, the windows, chassis set-up, some minor details, and to fire the new motor.

Attached Files:

8. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

MrGasser,
    That is awesome to see that the car has come together as nice as it is. When I seen the car the previous owner could not get the Austin to leave the line without heading for the wall. He could not figure out why. I came across pictures from then and the car was hard on the wheelie bars with one tire off the ground. I assume that is why it liked to change lanes. I noticed the article in Gasser Wars magazine the car looks to hook hard and straight without the wheelie bars. Was there any other problems found with the chassis when he first bought it? Cant wait to see the finished project. Athough, I still kinda wish it was still called "Grape Ape" Regardless it looks to be one incredible ride.

9. jammersspeed

jammersspeed
    from herman mn.

here is my '51 i just picked up.... plans call for a gasser style build

Attached Files:

10. MrGasser

MrGasser
    from DETROIT

Here's the car back at our shop, out in the sun, just back from the paint shop...you really need to see it in person to appreciate it, pics don't do it justice...

...we still have to install the glass and the new zoomie's, do a chassis set-up, then fire the new blown gas 540" big block Chevy for the first time...

...we tried talking the owner into installing red glass, but he insisted on clear!

Attached Files:

11. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Looks neat, would of been awesome with Red winda's

12. MrGasser

MrGasser
    from DETROIT

langy, I totally agree...I tried, but alas, he wouldn't go for it!

13. micky69

micky69
    from Ohio

Red glass would be great. Nice Ride, Im sure I'll see it somewhere this year.

14. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Very Cool thread on some sharp looking Austin gasser's

Jimbo

15. MrGasser

MrGasser
    from DETROIT

...a little artsy photo...

Attached Files:

16. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Yep, great looking Austin, and I agree with the red window idea! Looks similar in color to mine. 1974 dark red metallic #74.
    [​IMG]

17. doozcoupe

doozcoupe

Randy, Killer job on that Austin. Congrats on your acquisition of Skinny Kid Race Cars. Will SKRC be an Alliance Vendor?

18. 1933t

1933t
    from Buffalo NY

Not your Mama's Austin

Attached Files:

II FUNNY likes this.
  19. rosco gordy

rosco gordy

Just got my dorset this week now have one of each the new one drives big block chev I,m pumped now finnaly needs some stuff but got finnaly got a dorset gasser when I learn how to post pics I,ll get on here she,s a 50

20. 1933t

1933t
    from Buffalo NY

lets see it

21. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Do any of you guys know anything about this car? What year this pic is from? Is it from a magazine? If so what one?

MELTDOWN DRAGS
    JULY 19-20 2014

Attached Files:

22. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Some info here near bottom of page. http://www.austinworks.com/gas-west.html

23. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Here's another view of what I'm pretty sure is the Meyer & Cluff pickup from posts 2 & 48, courtesy of J.R. Bloom.

DSCN2771.JPG

24. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Can't tell in that picture, but Jim's Austin A40 was a really nice ride in a dark blue if I remember correctly. Somewhere around here I've got the old magazine article that it was in either Hot Rod or Car Craft magazine.

25. BreadVan

BreadVan

The car is in Car Craft October 1964, with a two page article. Also, there is an article on Jim Kaylor, who built the car in 1964, with a few pictures and a little bit of info in Gasser Wars Magazine issue 75.
    I could scan the articles for you and email them if you'd like. If you PM me your email address I can send them through tomorrow.
    Mint car, I love it.

26. BreadVan

BreadVan

I have emailed the articles.

As I thought other people might want to see the articles as well, I've uploaded them below.

On the cover page the car looks dark blue indeed!

Attached Files:

27. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Thanks.

MELTDOWN DRAGS
    JULY 19-20 2014

28. Delray292

Delray292

More of a gasser style street rod from the 1981 NSRA show in Yakima, WA.

Attached Files:

29. hotrod_tommy

hotrod_tommy

I had a 4-dr Austin mini-gasser for a few years in the 70s-80s. started with 231 V6 (puked it the first week!) then swapped in a Datsun 1600/4-speed. Eventually got it painted, too (was primer until the end). Note license plate.
    Lotta fun, 35 mpg (was important fact at that time) and had a look. Back tires lasted forever, of course. Had 34k miles when I had to sell it and a project twin to pay the divorce lawyer. It went to Omaha area, I never saw it again.
    Grrrrrrrrrr!
    hrt
    TCS48AustinStPaul.jpg

30. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Well this past weekend I beacame the proud owner of a small headlight Devon(no title) that seems to have been or was being built as a drag car at some point in its life.

Meltdown Drags
    July 17,18,19 2015