Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rod Friendly Apps?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, May 7, 2013.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

2. SoCalExile

SoCalExile

One that measures speed since some of our speedometers are broken or inaccurate.

3. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

X2 I use a speedometer app in all my cars to see how fast I'm really going

4. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

With any luck, there will be a new app coming soon... that everyone will want. :)

5. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

apps? Hot Rodders don't need no stinking apps.

6. flamingokid

flamingokid

What's an APP?

7. notrod13

notrod13
    from long beach

ive used the Clinometer app to set up 4 motors plentum and 5 pinion angles... its works awesome and in the pocket instead of looking for the angle finder. just be warned about the buttons on the side throwing you off.

works like a charm

8. notrod13

notrod13
    from long beach

and i still dont have the hamb app . havnt bought an app yet and im keeping it that way . sorry ryan

9. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

You cheap sorry bastard...

10. my cell phone has an app that allows you to make calls...its not really so much an app as it is just a phone. no fancy stuff like that for me. but i figure its all good. i still only average sending about 5 to 10 texts a month.

11. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I'm the exact opposite... I got some really bad news on the phone late last year and since that time, I have developed this fear of answering it. Seriously. I literally don't talk on the phone anymore. Instead, I use my iPhone as a mobile computer and that's it.

12. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

another good app is a unit conversion app. Handy in the shop when you need to convert any type of measurement (diameter, length, distance, weight etc). Its come in very handy

13. notrod13

notrod13
    from long beach

Hot rod money homie ... thats like 3 grade 8 bolts son

14. For parts scavenging, the eBay app, and the Craigslist Pro app is sooo much easier to use than the full site.

When traveling I use the CL pro app and ad the cities I'm in to see if there are any parts I need lurking out there.

15. Ive never purchased an app either. And Ive had smart phones from the get go. I only use the free stuff of which there are tons of very useful things ... flashlight for instance.

I check out the HAMB on my phone with no problems via my Galaxy 3, no idea why everyone was clamoring for the app.

16. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I use Speedbox. I don't think it's tremendously accurate, but it gives me a pretty good idea as to how fast I'm going.

17. (All these I have on my iPhone and/or iPad)

Hot Rod Then & Now is a fun app. Lots of pictures from Hot Rod Magazine. All the covers, some vintage articles and vintage photos. I check it out once in a while when I'm bored.

I have limited experience with ShowFinder, but it's an app for locating car shows/car events in your area, or searching an area that you might be headed to.

Poynt is great for finding just about anything. A little more streamlined as it prioritizes what you've searched by closest distance.

18. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

I typically only go for the free apps, also. The TJJ app is actually the only one I've paid for and that was just for the ease of uploading photos directly from my phone.

Other useful apps, as others have mentioned --- eBay, CraigsNotify (Cragslist search over multiple cities by keyword), Photo Grid, Pixlr-o-matic to edit photos.

Will have to try out a speedometer app! Thanks for the other suggestions.

Malcolm

19. deto

deto

Im gonna have to look into the CL app...

20. patinamonster

patinamonster

I'm a big fan of one called Mileage (by Evan Charlton) and it's fantastic for tracking your fill ups and service intervals.

21. BlownMerc

BlownMerc
    from Jerome

Thanks for the heads up on the ShowFinder app. Exactly what I have been looking for!

22. BootleggerMatt

BootleggerMatt

I don't think its an app but I use my iphone map all the time. The speedometer app is very accurate when you have a signal, I've compared it to my newer car and its within 2mph and I suspect the cars actual speedo is off and not the satelight

23. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

I have two apps on my phone.

I call people .
    They can call me.

That's all I need.

24. I cant seem to find the HAMB app for my phone, can any of you help?

At least my cell is traditional :D

Attached Files:

25. jefscoupe

jefscoupe

Speaking of Craig'slist. There is Search Tempest that will search all C/L listings
    per mile radius you set.
    Set for 25-4000 miles around in one search.
    Not so much an app, but there is a smartphone version.

26. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

am I outta the loop, is there something cool coming from you boss?

27. Flashlight, Calculator, Calendar, Phone Directory/Contacts are all built into most phones and eliminate the need to physically carry such things around. Saves time and space.

As for Apps themselves, Turn-By-Turn Navigation makes our travels so much more spontaneous than ever before. Last year when attending Millers at Milwaukee I was pleasantly surprised that not only did my Verizon Turn-By-Turn have the Wisconsin State Fairgrounds loaded into the system, but they even had every fairground gate individually listed so I was able to easily navigate from an early lunch downtown at Glorioso's Italian Market out to the Milwaukee Mile all the while driving in a city I had never seen before and with the earpiece in my ear, I could focus on the sites and traffic instead of looking at a map. Plus, when you want to get off-route and take another way to your next stop, the turn-by-turn recalculates very quickly and alleviates nearly any possible chance of getting lost...so you can explore wherever you want and easily follow the bread crumbs home again.

28. bonzo-1

bonzo-1

Ulusse Speedometer for speedometer
    Fastest Droid for quarter mile and top speeds
    My Tracks for recording your route

29. 31hotrodsedan man

31hotrodsedan man

I haven't used it yet since my car still isn't on the road but the Pure Gas app is a search/list of all the gas stations in the US and Canada that sells ethanol free gas.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad