Register now to get rid of these ads!

BF Goodrich radials -- radial TA or Long Trail?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fenders, May 6, 2013.

1. Fenders

Fenders

OK I know bias ply tires have the best look, but for the roads here and the ride I want I have narrowed my choice to two BFG models which, after a HAMB search, appear to be popular rear tires for a hot rod....

I have 7" wide 15" wheels and will go for a 235/70R15 tire, either a BFG Radial TA or a Long Trail TA. (Or possibly a 75R which is only available in the Long Trail.) These would replace my old no-brand 225/70R15 rear tires.

If you have used one or the other, or compared them, I would like your input. I'd be interested in comparing looks, ride comfort, and quiet running.

Thanks for your comments. Tom

2. bobby_Socks

bobby_Socks
    from ǑǃƕǑ

I would go with the BFG Radial TA in a 235x75x15. The Long Trails seem to last well but the compound seems harder than the BFG Radial TA. I have some Long trails on an off topic daily and do not like them in the rain or snow.

3. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

Radial T/A is the Hot rod tire.... Long trail and Rugged trail radials is really for heavier vehicles, it even come in load range E for extra load.....I use both, or in this case all 3 love-um but the T/A is what I put on any Rod I have......

4. they told me radials are not H.A.M.B. friendly

I did not like the long trails in the rain eather

5. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

I have the Radial TA 235/70R15's on the rear of my 48 Ford. They wear well , but they are a little noisy at some highway speeds . I just replaced the front tires with 215/70-15 BF Goodrich Radial Premier . They seem quieter and have more of a touring tread than the all season tread of the TA.

6. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Radial T/A is a very good handling tire in most weather conditions, on Hot Rods and classic rides I have run them on. I have gotten very good service from all the B.F.G tires I have owned through the years.

7. 32coupedeville

32coupedeville
    from cincy

I have used 235x70x15 bfg t/a . great tire. they are a little taller than other brands. the 235x75x15 bfg long trail do not have as good looking tread in my opinion. I would go with the t/a's. my .02$

8. sedanbob

sedanbob

235/70 x 15 Radial T/As are what's on the rear of my '33 Ford sedan. I wanted a matching tread pattern on the front, and used 215/60 x 15. They are wider than some guys run, but I wanted a little more rubber up front for stopping/steering. I see Radial T/As one all sorts of cars - in 15" diameter, they offer a wide variety of sizes.

9. rld14

rld14

Radial T/As don't come in a 75 series, there is a BFG "Silvertown" radial that is a wide whitewall that does come in a 235-75R15 and the tread pattern on it looks like the tread design on old Radial T/As. That being said I'd go with Radial T/As over Long Trails, those are truck tires and will have a much harsher ride.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

10. 31Apickup

31Apickup

I have a set of Long Trails on my OT pick-up, they were a big improvement over the original equipment Eagle GT II in rain and snow. At least for my application, they only came in white outline lettered. There is an inside and outside tread, meaning you are not supposed to run them with the white letters turned in.

11. KENDEUCE

KENDEUCE

I'm running 255/70R15 Radial TA on my 32 ford. Nice ride and good longevity. Have them on 8" rims. Got 48,000 miles and replaced them with same tires again. I run white letters in.

Last edited: May 6, 2013
  12. im going to run radial t/as on my t-bird

13. T/A's are nice looking radial tires but don't much like the look of the Long Trails. I have T/A's on most all of my cars but for my fenderless coupe I went with Nexen 31x10.5x15's on back and 165/80R15 on the front for under $350.00. Crucify me if you will, but I like the looks of these and most of all the price.

14. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

I also run the 255 70's T/As and like them.

Blue

15. Fenders

Fenders

Thanks for the comments, fellows!

jandlcars -- yes, not hamb friendly but with the roads here I'm sort of pushed into a radial.
    31Apickup -- good point on the Long Trails, I did notice the tread difference from one side and the other.

Looks like the Radial T/A's get the vote. Again guys, thanks for the feedback on the tires.
    Oh meant to say -- of course the white letters will be turned to the inside and blacked out !

Tom

16. Bluedot

Bluedot

Looks like you may have already decided, so I may be too late (story of my life), but I'll chime in with an opinion. Subject: tire height. If I'm understanding some of the other posts, the Long Trail is available in 75, but the TA only up to 70. According to an old brochure I have from another mfr, a 235/70 is 27.84" tall, while a 235/75 is 28.85" tall. BFG should have a similar if not exact same difference. That ~1" height difference would sure be important to me when choosing which way to go. That's a 1/2" ride height, and you have fender space to fill.
    Boy, we sure get caught up in the details, don't we? Guilty as charged.

17. slowmotion

slowmotion

I've had good luck with T/As over the years. Currently running 235/60/15 on all four corners of my lowered OT daily S truck. Handles like a mini-Vette. If I were going radial for a hotrod, T/As would get my vote.

I've posted this before, but FWIW, here's a real handy tire chart:

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

18. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

T/A works for me. Good grip.

19. rustang

rustang

Running radial T/A's on my '38 pickup.... like you the roads in my area are more like potholes with sections of blacktop... I run the white letters to the inside (also color the letters with a black paint pen)... So far they have been great.
    Tom

20. A Boner

A Boner

Wow 18 posts, and no mention of out of round problems!

21. KENDEUCE

KENDEUCE

Apparently you've had issues?

22. JackdaRabbit

JackdaRabbit
    from WNC

I have Long Trails on my `63 C10. They wear and ride well plus they have a pretty "square shoulder" non-radial look.

23. I built tires, these two as well, for over 20 years.

Wanna know? Ask a cook in the kitchen.

These are french owned (michelin), and at Ardmore,OK they are built on the same machines.

BF Goodrich and Uniroyal help us to attain volume for production, but michelin tires got the most anal attention I ever saw.

You'd be better off to buy a set of Michelins, then just have BF Goodrich stenciled on the side.

BFG in many cases still have 2 peice molds, and are not subject to be x-rayed to look for improper wire alignment----which gives the 'out of round' experience. Same goes for Uniroyal.

Michelin tires use 'segemented' molds, a much much better mold to use. They also use a component we call 'BAZ', which I think Goodyear also uses, but calls it by another name. Still, BFG , while it may use BAZ in some cases, is NOT subject to the same verification process, before or after the mold .

Things got so bad there in the late 90's, 3 out of 4 tires -BFG and Uniroyal, sucked, and we knew it!

Since the Firestone issues of 2,000, many things have changed . Back then we laughed at Firestone, but KNEW we were guilty as well.

By the way, Firestone makes a decent product these days it seems. I am now FIRED from Michelin, but Michelin does make the best aftermarket tire from what I see. I just can't afford them anymore.

24. Canuck

Canuck

Just a heads up for anyone looking for a narrower T/A.

BFG have dis-continued the 155r80x15 Radial T/A from their line. Got that direct from BFG.

Maybe if enough people write them and complain they will bring it back!

Canuck

25. 61falcon

61falcon

I vote bfg long trail. I have a set on my 32 sedan that have been on the rear for a few years and they are holding up well, ride nice and look good on the car.

26. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Good info to know. Thanks

27. Dr.HairyOlds

Dr.HairyOlds
    from CNY

I've had a few sets of Radial T/A's with no complaints. The look like new even after "accelerated wear conditions." I always thought long trails were truck tires?

28. I scoped out Ken's Vicky this past weekend and the tires on the rear fit like they were made for his car. HRP

29. Fenders

Fenders

I would like a 235/75R15 -- but only if the tire design and tread pattern works for me...
    That is available in the Long Trail -
    But not in the Radial T/A

Since my current no name 12 year old tires are 225/70R15, the 235/70R15 is a viable improvement. Slightly wider, a bit higher. This size is also available in both the Radial T/A and the Long Trails.

And yes, the Long Trail is available in the higher 235/75R15. But should I go to them? My decision will be based on tread pattern (look) and ride quality.

So far, sounds like the Radial T/A has the edge. Which means a 235/70R15 size.

30. Fenders

Fenders

Actually, no, both Long Trails and Radial T/As are available in P-metric passenger tires.

Many like the Long Trails on their hot rods, and others the Radial T/As -- which is why I asked the question.