Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 64/65 Comets old drag cars lets see pictures

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by apound, Feb 17, 2009.

1. AFX DAVE

AFX DAVE

Is this Barn Find a Comet? An Original Factory Drag Car? Have you got any pictures of the car? I know "Dennis K" has rule books in his collection, I don't know how the Rule Book would help you on restoring it! How those cars in 1965 started out in the beginning of the season and what they looked like in mid season and what they looked like at the end of the season was something else.
    A lot of guys made there own AFX Cars from a body in white or a show room car from all makes. Good Luck on the Car. ~~~~AFX DAVE~~~~

2. MD1320guy

MD1320guy

Dave

It's Drake Viscome's Vindicator 65 Falcon. Pretty much the same condition as Tim Holland's Hubert Platt Georgia Shaker III. Skin & bones a lot worse the wear but identified by Drake as the real deal. It still shows C/XS markings but I don't remember the XS classes. It may have been 66-67 when I was in Vietnam. Fortunatly the car was just decomissioned and left to sit & rust instead of passed on to other owners to be butchered & scrapped. Owner wants to leave it barn find style like Holland's car but needs to replace a lot of missing period & class correct pieces. Any help from you, Dennis K, or whom ever will be appreciated.....Mike

Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
  3. 65COMET

65COMET

Mike;have you tried posting on Fast Eddie's A/FX Falcon thread?I think there are some pictures of that Falcon in various stages over there.If I remember correctly the XS classes were the precursor to Funny Car,I think XS stood for Experimental Stock,WAY TOO many years have gone by!!!!!! ROY.

4. MD1320guy

MD1320guy

Roy

I've posted on a half dozen threads looking for help. I'd even take info from a Mopar or GM guy. I'm thinking the XS class was maybe 67 when the flip tops became FC and they had to have a class for the old AWB FX cars.....Mike

5. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

What color were the 289 Hi-Po engine blocks painted for 64 Cyclones and 65 Cyclones?Black or blue?

6. Black.

7. 65COMET

65COMET

Steve;They were Black for all v-8s. ROY.

8. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

Were black engine blocks a Mercury thing,and blue engine blocks Ford?

9. dscomet

dscomet
    from michigan

i know 1963 & 64 fe 390&427 blocks were black

10. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

Is anybody attending the Detroit Dragway Reunion and then heading West? A friend of mine is going to be there and has some Comet parts for me.Originally I was going to make the show and pick up the parts myself,but am unable to get the time off from work.Can someone get the parts for me and get them somewhere near UT?

11. Falconred

Falconred

Falcon 289s were black in '65 with gold vc and breather. I think blue came on later.

12. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Well- - - There's Jardines, Hooker, Hedman, Patriot, and Doug's. Oh, wait. Snoke's too.....) Out with the old small tubes, in with the big tubes.......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Deuces likes this.
  13. 65COMET

65COMET

Dale;are they done yet?!!!!I still think you need limiting straps on the front end,especially once you get the Windsor in the Rocket!! ROY.

14. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Just getting started....

Here is one for the peanut gallery. Talk about a crazy set-up, now I'm getting the jist of what Ken's going through on getting the Jardines on and off!!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Deuces likes this.
  15. 65COMET

65COMET

Dale;are you building Fenderwell type or going under the car?The pictures are of a FE in a midsized Ford product,tight fit!!! ROY.

16. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Sorry to confuse! These are on the MOONEYES Fairlane Wagon, that I am being given the opportunity to sort out so they can race AFX format-style races around SoCal.

[​IMG]

17. 65COMET

65COMET

Dale;is this the wagon you were telling me about?It looks decent in the pictures,needs some bigger slicks,and a Hillbilly Hellshack straight axle!!!!Maybe a conversion to a two door!!We can ALWAYS use another FORD product in A/FX!!!! ROY.

18. ec164

ec164
    from MI

I wanted to tell you all I had a great time last week end at the FE Reunion @ Beaver Springs. Thought for sure I would get good photos of 64 65 Comets but were only a couple and one was Steve McBlanes which had broke so took the fun out of pictures. He and his friends are great guys and welcomed me to their pit spot, good conversation and look forward to visiting again. Also hope Steves misfortune won't end up costing him one. His car is very nice......Al

19. J.T.Mays

J.T.Mays

Has anyone seen the May 2013 Muscle car review with the special order 1965 202 sedan with a 289 hi-po? The guy has all paper work from when he bought it new.

20. 65COMET

65COMET

J.T.;yes,I have the issue,good story,nice Comet,but the story is full of holes.I have factory paperwork that shows where the story is wrong! ROY.

21. 65COMET

65COMET

Al;did you see the red 65 Caliente,FE powered?That car was built by Robert Pond [the FE engine builder]from a cherry,unmolested 65 Comet.Steve's 65 is quick and fast[when not broken],met him at Carlisle in 2004,he was driving his beautiful 64 Fairlane,FE powered,he is a super friendly guy!!! ROY.

22. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Yes Roy I talked to the 65 Comet guy, I remembered him from pictures on FE Forum, was nice guy and willing to visit nice car too! Steve showed me a picture of his Fairlane looked really nice. He "Steve" had new slicks and was ready for the match race with Paul Adams but something in oil pump went bad and messed up stuff, maybe even Pond block. He was talking with Mr. Adams about price of a spare bullet from the Adams camp.....Al

23. Thanks for making the trip to the FE Race & Reunion!! The event turned out great. I can't wait for next year, 4-26-14!!

I also felt bad for Steve. I know he was so up for the match race!!

24. AFX DAVE

AFX DAVE

The Arnie Beswicl AFX 65 Comet will be at the Detroit Dragway Reunion at Milan Dragway May 11 2013. Stop by and say Hi. AFX DAVE

25. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

Dave,I wish I could be there, take some video for me! And it's Arnies birthday today!

Last edited: May 7, 2013
  26. Falconred

Falconred

OK, sorry to ask as I am sure it's been asked and answered before, but for the umteenth time, what is the difference between a '65 202 and 404??? Can you tell by the vin?

27. 65COMET

65COMET

A 202 has no window trim and no trim in the top of the cove.A 404 is one step up,has window stainless trim and a single thin stainless trim running the length of the cove turning down at the rear.I'm not sure about the VIN but the body code on the door tag may tell.Neither one has the three piece aluminum trim between the tailights. ROY.

28. Falconred

Falconred

Thanks, next time I'm close I will have to look. I'm not sure what you are calling the "cove".

29. 65COMET

65COMET

Mike;the "cove" is the stylized area in the center of the Comets fender/door area.The 404 has a thin stainless trim running just below the top of the cove that ends with a turned down section. ROY.