Register now to get rid of these ads!

36 Dodge 4 door build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Motomike43, May 7, 2013.

1. Motomike43

Motomike43

My shop just started a new build for a local Artist. It is his Dads first car. He kept it all these years in a barn. He wants to bring it back to life. Its a 36 Dodge 4 door. (pics to come). He wants to do a mild hot rod build but keep it fairly original looking. (a full fender / running board / hood on) car. He is not 100% on what he wants yet. I want to remove all the fenders, hood, running boards, chop, section and shorten the whole car. He isn't into it. HA. We are set on doing a small chop.
    So:
    who has suggestions? comments? pic? examples?
    all info is welcome. Thanks

2. COUPES

COUPES
    from England

Keep the fenders, running boards and hood!!!! Will look crap without them and never works. Make into a woodie ? Custom or hot rod. Custom 4 door could look cool. Keep it all mopar if possible too? Be a fun project 36s are great cars, can't wait for pics.

3. farmer12

farmer12

Keep hood, fenders and running boards. A small chop would look good........don't go too extreme. And keep it Mopar. No SBC please. Good luck and post a few pics.

4. BobPer

BobPer

Here are a few of mine for inspiration. The first picture is my current project (the same car in my avitar, before and after). The second picture is my 4-dr that I got when I was 10 years old and built in high school.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The last 2 projects could be available.

Last edited: May 7, 2013

5. As others said, keep all the fenders and such. I'd also add to the mix a severe chop and a lowering. I'd basically do this except, you know, a 4-door...

[​IMG]

6. Motomike43

Motomike43

So far I love all these ideas. Keep them coming please.

7. Motomike43

Motomike43

I should add...

The car already has a few crappy mods done that I am not happy about:

A mustang II front end was put on back in the late 70's (and not done very well)
    and around the same time a 350chevy was dropped in. (Also not done very well)
    I would love to convert the front end to a straight axle and put a mopar motor in. We need to figure out the customers budget first.

8. BobPer

BobPer

Mike, I have a complete extra front end from another 36 4-dr, The desirable wavy axle, springs, shocks/sway bar and all, It should bolt right in. Bob

9. monc440

monc440

X10

PLEASE keep it all Mopar. You have plenty of room for a Magnum 360 or even 318.

Keep us posted

Mopar Or No Car

10. raidmagic

raidmagic

I would say it doesn't matter what you want. It needs to be built the way he wants it.

11. Motomike43

Motomike43

I will keep that in mind. Im pushing the customer toward that direction... Will keep you posted

12. Motomike43

Motomike43

I agree. I even have access to a good running 360. We shall see

13. Smokeshow

Smokeshow

Do the 360. It is one of the most reliable engines made!

14. If you're going to keep the fenders, I'd keep the MII front end. If you're saying it was a crappy job, make it nicer. IFS is nice in a full-fendered car. However, I definitely agree with putting in a smallblock Mopar. If the budget doesn't allow for a drivetrain swap, at least make the Chevy look traditional. Maybe a 3-deuce intake?

15. Motomike43

Motomike43

So it turns out the original owner of the car is a HAMB member and came across this thread.
    Hey Russ, send me a message. Do you have any original pictures of the car you can post? I would love to see what this used to look like back in the day.

16. knoxbrendon

knoxbrendon

Holly crap I just got a chubby

17. I know, right? That picture instantly made me want a 36 Dodge.

18. Motomike43

Motomike43

Here is a quick idea of the way we are leaning on this build... This is also my first ever picture post so I hope it works... Many more pictures to come of the actual car.

[​IMG]

19. Motomike43

Motomike43

Here She is: A few quick shots I took the other day

[​IMG]

[​IMG]