Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Official Vintage Torque Fest Thread May 3-4, 2013

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by coolstuff, Jun 14, 2012.

1. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

had an awesome time as usuall ! sooo nice to see everyone and meet some new guys , my whole club rod tossers were in full efect , hot rod ed nice to meet ya man , missed out on the mini bike race cause didn't here em move it but later on my secret weapon linkin our fellow club members 10 year old daughter was up whippin up on everyone on my scoot ! had a blast big thanks to john and everyone wgo volunteers and works to make it such a great show

2. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As most have already weighed in, I too had a great time. The breakfast was great meeting Bob K, Bobwop, Mertaw, iarodder, daddy-o's-diner, and others.

I too missed the 11:00am Meet & Greet. I was helping some out-of-towners in trying to get to Torquefest. I was wearing my HAMB Meet & Greet name tag in preparation for the 11:00 event. One of the gents I was helping said "oh, you're Verno30." I thought, "oh shit, how'd he know."

Either way, they made it and that's what great about hotrodding and in particular Vintage Torque Fest; THE PEOPLE.

Certainly looking forward to the remainder of the 2013 shows and the 2014 season kicking off with the Retro Rewind in Dubuque in January.

3. CamaroK1500

CamaroK1500

In other words, you got ripped off, too, TWICE, but they were polite so you're OK with it. Well, aren't you meek and mild.

4. Wowcars

Wowcars

Do you not realize, or did you forget, this whole show is for "Helping Hannah's Heart"? After all the expenses, which I'm sure there are plenty of, all the proceeds go to her MEDICAL BILLS. Bitching about $10 seems pretty petty.

5. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I'll pay you 10 bucks to quit crying about it

6. noclubjoe

noclubjoe

5 years on the board, 6 total post and all of them are you acting like a fucking child that you paid 20 bucks for a show? i was glad to pay 20 bucks for myself and my car, 20 for my girlfriend, $100 bucks in fuel and 2 nights of a hotel room @ $70 a night to have a killer good time at VTF. shut up about your 20 bucks or just go away we dont need another crybaby on the HAMB.

7. noclubjoe

noclubjoe

On a better note, Thank you John Wells, you and your crew put on a class act with VTF and Iron Invasion. Torquefest is the perfect way to kick off the hot rod season and Iron Invasion wraps up the summer, Myself and my friends will alway attend both no matter what!

8. Hell i ll give him 10 bucks to stay away next year!

9. Django

Django
    from Chicago

We had a great time, in spite of the alternator going bad in Belvidere and having to replace it and the battery. Thank to a fellow named Jeremy who pulled over and lead us to the Autozone, and HUGE thanks to Rob at the Autozone on State street who was a huge help getting us back on the road.

Great to see so many friends on Saturday, and thanks to everyone who stuck around Saturday night to watch the bands.

We stayed in Galena at the Stillman Inn which was lots of fun. Even the B&B owner and his son went to Torquefest!

Attached Files:

10. hotrod123

hotrod123
    from iowa

I was raised to treat people with respect no matter how large or stressful the task maybe. I guess that's where we differ. No matter how good of a time my family had unfortunately it's just reality that the negative experiences stick out.

11. x-shift

x-shift

Thanks to John, his family, and all of the volunteers for a fantastic show! We had a blast, met some great people, and got to see some old friends, too, but I think that it was all of the different sights and sounds that made this so much fun. There was no way we could see it all, but we tried! Great cars, great bands, a nice variety of vendors and swap stuff, and a super facility made all of this come together!

I spoke with a member of the fair crew that said they had never hosted such nice people, and they hope we'll come back. We were treated very well by all of the locals, and I think the community really enjoyed having the show there.

John is a class act, and puts on a helluva show. We know it wouldn't be possible without the support of his crew, but also with our support in bringing our rides and showing the love at the auction. Hats off to everyone that made the effort to be there! Can't wait for next year!

Just a few that caught my eye:

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 6, 2013
  12. x-shift

x-shift

Just a few of the things we saw:

Attached Files:

13. Fanny Freckles

Fanny Freckles

Great pics, x-shift! The girls holding out their hands to the Wisco Maniac, that's what it's all about. The people, the culture and carrying on the tradition. Love it!

14. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Man, I've talked with John several times over the last few years. He's always been SUPER friendly and nice. He is not only promoting a charity, he is promoting traditional hot rodding. This guy is at countless car shows doing his thing.

You have to remember, this weekend was a culmination of a years work and I'm sure 4 days of stress and anxiety for him. Did you see how much it rained Fridday? He is running the entire time, going from one problem to the next. Give him a break if he snapped at someone. You never know what led up to that, you just saw the end result.

Hell, I even kick my dog now and then for being a dumbass and he's my best friend! :cool:

15. I was at the 11oclock meet n greet by myself! Guess they heard i was coming! Nice to see ol friends n make new ones!

16. 40FordDeluxe

40FordDeluxe

We got in after the cool flame show Friday night, and then the rain set in. It sure was nice to see the sun on saturday morning! With all things considered I thought it turned out awesome, and the show crew did an amazing job keeping up with all the issues. I missed the meet and greet as I had my 8 month prego wife, and she was doing the best pace she could. LOL Saturday night we were able to see the flame show and that sure was sweet! Thanks John and crew for putting on e hell of a show! I sure hope you were able to rally up a good amount for Hanna's Heart too! Hopefully next year I can drive in instead of walk in. Haha

17. truckedup 28

truckedup 28

my first year actually having a car here at the show. thanks to mike lawson from kustom image uhpolstry for getting me in and to john wells for putting in a spectacular show. also a thank you to the guys from cheaters car club on helping me diagnose some problems i had with my motor.

18. Mr.B.

Mr.B.

Good to see you again Beau!

Funny thing my friend Bill had just got done telling me he didn’t care much for gassers, and then he saw the Corvair...

He’s a changed man, you turned him!

I sent him your video link.

Thanks again for waiting around to swap yokes!

-Kirk

19. Sam_Fear

Sam_Fear

If that miserable cold wet Friday had been the only day for the show it woulda been worth it! Talked with a lot of cool people - EVERYBODY was friendly. I was cold and wet all Friday, but didn't care. Just walking through the main building was worth 5$ - that auction art was incredible.

Hats off to the volunteers that were out in the rain making things happen!! I felt bad for the bands too, but what can ya do? John made it a great show even with the rain. Hats off to you sir.

Anybody know what the final car count was? I'm sure it was a lot lower than expected. Not too many roadsters, that's for sure.

And a big thanks to the Rod Tossers CC for picking my 48 Olds 4dr tank (and the peanuts.) Hell, I was just happy not to have my car turned away at the gate.

Last edited: May 6, 2013
  20. kzeliminator

kzeliminator
    from chicago

I had a great time. cant wait til next year, even brought non hot rod people and they loved it!!! Def felt smaller than the last couple of years but a blast non the less!!

21. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah we all waited til you left. Then me, Bob, and I think it was Steve had our meet and greet at 11:20

22. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

Hey Doug, you said you weren't gonna tell him. Ha Ha Ha

B:DB

23. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The art auction helps pay Hannah's bills. Helping Hannah's Heart gets the rest to help other families with children with heart problems. Helpinghannahsheart.org i believe the website is for more info. This years profit was to go to the Essl family I believe.

24. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

i was there lol

25. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

glad you had a good time and i am a rod tosser your welcome man

26. Reiss'Pieces

Reiss'Pieces

Hey ED....wanted to let ya know the the wife and I had alot of fun Saturday night! Beer was cold and going down fast. The offer for the wife and kids for the Henry is still being debated..... my other two boys are still trying to figure out what a garbologist does. Great to meet ya!

59 Rambler GASSER

27. Dude that was some funny shit we had some fun thanks for the good times!
    Tell bob orange wheels are still gay!
    And. Yes the offer is still good your wife the mustang ans 3 kids for the j but I still think your getting a deal.
    Mark got to the hotel fine and passed out at Perkins diner before hand later and no comment on the Hotty in my car!

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

Attached Files:

28. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Are you the one I was talking to about the little alternator and stuff? I dig the wagon BTW.

29. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

It was those damn cherries I bet! BTW Ed I was the guy that was talking to you during the auction. we were admiring some of the stuff up on the stage WINK WINK.

30. I unfortunately couldn't make it to VTF this year so I have been following the show here on the HAMB. From what I have seen on here, the show was well worth the admission even if it was $20. There is always someone thats not happy. Stay home next year. My 2 cents.