Register now to get rid of these ads!

Felpro

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by redlineracer42, May 6, 2013.

1. I know some of you guys have used the Felpro 1 piece pan gaskets on yer rods and think they are the keenest thing since canned beer. I however would like Felpro to reimburse me for the 3 count'em 3 that I have tried ( around 30 bucks each!) and they all leak around the bolts! I should not have to silicon the bolt heads on these 30 dollar gaskets! Also they do not fit the timing cover/pan setup I have. Now I have an aluminium timing cover and a Moroso pan and with Felpro gasket set 1821 ( a 4 piece set) the front and rear seal fits fine and no leaks! I am now going back to that set (1821 @ 30 bucks!) but cannot believe the luck I have had with the seemingly superior setup like the 1 piece gasket. Something I have not tried is to slob a bunch of silicon on the bolts prior to installation( I have siliconed the bolt after installation but what a crock of shit and this is unacceptable! I use as little silicon as possible on my engine cuz the stuff can clog up oilpumps you know.... I have about a zillion dollars in leaky pan gaskets....pisses me off!!! Anyone else had these leaks?

2. terryble

terryble
    from canada

Wow! I have never had an issue with the one piece gaskets from felpro. Are you over tightening not accusing here just asking.

3. No sir! in fact snuck up on them and retightened them after warmup,I even used flat washers on pan bolts.

4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like them. I am a couple-dozen in on customer cars, and on my Jeep, and rod. Zero issues. The Jeep's one has been in there for 80k+ miles.

Last edited: May 6, 2013

5. speedyb

speedyb
    from socal

That's a shame I have 1 piece gaskets on 3 of my cars, 2 of the ford 302's and I just put 1 on my big block chevy, and there so dry none of them leak a drop!

6. skidro69

skidro69
    from Dothan, AL

I have used several, no issues. There is a thread on here in the last couple of months that discusses 2 different sizes of front pan seals. I accually prefere the cork 4 peice due to my aplication is usually circle track SBC and we may change the cam from time to time. If u use the 1 peice, you wind up cuttin the front part out of it to facilitate installation of the timing cover. I only use the 1 piece if have have an anal 1 piece fan, that thinks it's the best thing since canned beer.

7. I must be sumpthin wrong.....

8. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

No offense, but any chance the bolts weren't tight enough. The one piece gaskets have metal inserts around the bolt holes to snug up on.

9. 4woody

4woody

Maybe it isn't the pan gasket:
    I had a similar problem and went through a couple of gaskets before I solved it.

It turned out I had a couple of VERY small leaks higher up the engine (Back corner of a valve cover, and oil pressure sensor threads) that were making tiny- almost invisible- drips that traveled down the back side of the engine where I couldn't see. The oil would finally accumulate enough to drip from a corner of the pan, so I thought the pan gasket was leaking.

My new rule: When trying to stop a leak, start by looking carefully at the highest spot on the engine that fluid could possible be coming from, then the next highest, and the next.

I made a swab with of a blob of paper towel taped to the end of a piece of welding wire let me check for fluids in places I couldn't see or reach.

10. Good call Woody! I have already found my valvecover leak that thought twas the pan but I am almost certain it is pan bolts as the last time I used 1 piece it was solved by gooping over bolt heads. I am going to put the 4 piece back on and say the hell with the 1 piece forever! I have tried 3 of them in the past fer years and had trouble with every one! I wanted to use the one piece cuz I am told they are reusable and I have my pan off once in a while to inspect and with the 4 piece it gets ruined and the one I use is as expensive as the 1 piece! I yam tired of fightin it! I have 2 supposedly good 1 piece gaskets that are getting beat to death,burned at the stake and strewn with garlic!

11. No offence taken but I have tightened them as much as I dare.....

12. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

I have a cylinder head that for reasons I've never been able to figure out leaks no matter what method of sealing I've tried. Steel core with silicone, cork with Gasgacinch, just a bead of sealer, different torque on the valve cover bolts, studs instead of bolts, 3 different valve covers, etc... I did the clean and watch for first seep and it always came from the back corner at the gasket after a high rpm blast. I switched to large breathers on both valve covers and it still leaked. I dunno, but I can tell you I'd like to throw it off a really tall cliff... :D

13. Weasel

Weasel

Is your oil pan chromed by any chance? I have found that chrome can cause sealing problems and I always sand it down to bare metal before assembly - just a thought....

14. chop32

chop32

I was skeptical in the beginning, but finally tried the one piece gasket and Ive had good luck with the using stock oil pans.
    Maybe the Moroso pan rail is slightly different than a stock pan and that's what is causing the problem?

15. poprockcrusher

poprockcrusher

what did you torque it to in FT LBS ?

16. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

I always specify Felpro when I do an engine. I have had a few failures on the pan, but it was because of an after market pan issue.... I still use Felpro, but avoid cheap pans..... I will put an good amount of Black Gasket sealer in tough areas...

Good luck with your leak, it always sucks goin over a buddys house, and leaving oil in his driveway..... I hate it....

17. Dave 39

Dave 39

I had a Moroso deep sump oil pan with a one piece felpro gasket that would not seal. After much grief I went back to stock GM pan and one piece Molodon gasket. Solved my leak problem. Good luck Dave

18. I am giving up on the 1 piece gasket. It seals fine with the Felpro 1821 set. It is a 30 dollar set but is a steel core side rail gasket and it seals.

19. bgaro

bgaro

I've never once, ever, put on a pan gasket w/o silicone. just sayin.

20. 33sporttruck

33sporttruck

My Nephew had a similar problem on his 350 SBC. Moroso Pan was out of tolerance. Replaced the Moroso with the OEM Chevy and all is well.................. Jeff

21. john walker

john walker

silicone in the corners and aviation permatex (camel snot) on the rest of it.

22. Thanks for all the help guys! I usually put just a dab of silicon on the intersection of the main cap/block surface in the rear and a dab where the timing cover meets the block in the front.The Felpro 1821 set fits very well but is destroyed when I take pan off and that is why I have bean tryin 1 piece seal as I understand them to be reusable....

23. rld14

rld14

Nobody has mentioned this yet... But...

Have ya checked the pan itself with a straight edge? Maybe the pan is warped...

24. Motomike43

Motomike43

Ive used close to 100 of these gaskets and never had a issue. There must be a bigger problem going on. Possible oil pan surface out of rack? next time its off the car lay it upside down on a flat smooth bench and check for low spots or a twist corner to corner.

25. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

If you are talking about the blue one piece gasket, I have used them and love them. Don't leak a drop and are reusable. I had mine off a few times and just put the same one back on with zero problems.

I bet you have some pan issue that the sealant masks.

Don