Register now to get rid of these ads!

It wont start what am I missing.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by metalix_421, May 5, 2013.

1. metalix_421

metalix_421

I searched and couldnt really fine my issue anywhere else.

Anyway, trying to get my engine fired for the first time (in this car)

Im running a cad 472 with points
    still no gas tank or exhaust but pouring a little gas into the carb

I crank it over, and it just turns,

I cant see spark on the plug but it shocks the shit out of me.
    new coil, new plugs, new condencer rotor and cap looks good,

could it just be that its not getting enough power? or?????

Im sure its something small that im missing but after 4 evenings of trying to figure this out, Im about ready to pull my hair out and light my car on fire.

any advise is helpful thanks.

2. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Whats the ignition timing set at?

3. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

When does it shock you? When your holding the spark wires? New wires...

4. metalix_421

metalix_421

Ill have to look at the timing but I never pulled out my dizzy from the last time i ran the motor.

has new wires as well, it shoched me when I was grounding the plug to the motor mount.

5. nathan

nathan
    from minnesota

are you sure the firing order is right? you said it had new wires.

6. Marcosmadness

Marcosmadness
    from California

You sure you have the plug wires on in the correct place. Make sure that you know which way the dizzy is turning before you connect the plugs in the proper order.

7. metalix_421

metalix_421

checked that all is well with the firing order,

8. nathan

nathan
    from minnesota

oh and try starting fluid. more explosive and safer then holding a cup of gas above a backfiring carb.

9. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Maybe the fact its shocking you completely negates this, but, is it possible when you turn the key to start does it loose power to the coil? Some of those old GM products had a second wire from the solenoid to the coil for this exact reason. (the R side of the starter solenoid) (if I remember right it gives full 12 volts to the coil during start up)

10. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Careful...
    <iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2RBRCaVjYrM?feature=player_detailpage" allowfullscreen="" width="640" frameborder="0" height="360"></iframe>

11. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

12. metalix_421

metalix_421

I have tried starting fluid, no luck with that either.

Ive got one wire from the solenoid and one from my ignition on my key going to the coil, when it shocked me I was starting from the solenoid with a screw driver.

what kind of amps and or volts should It be getting?
    it does turn over kinda slow, but always has.
    id hate to buy a gear reduction starter just to find out that doesnt work either.

shiny side up, that is what im afraid of. unlike him I have a bad luck red bottle in my garage.

13. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

:confused:

14. metalix_421

metalix_421

i dont know, I guess from grabbing the plug

15. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

pour some gas right into the cylinders by pulling the plugs out. it should atleast pop off doing that.

you might also check the gaps in the plugs if in fact you are getting spark to them

16. 6696

from usa

Maybe check your dwell? After installing new points and after 2 days of trying to figure out why it wouldn't start I realized the dwell was closed on the new points. The motor would just turn over and never fire. Once I opened up the dwell she fired right up.

Dust

17. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Oh sorry i get it, you were jumping the soleniod and holding the plug at the same time.

18. Harris

Harris

Double check the wires - couldn't get my 500 to fire - turned out even though the wires were correct as per an old chevrolet manual - they weren't.

19. metalix_421

metalix_421

harris, Ill double check again but I bought a chiltons manual just to be sure on the firing order.

20. BaBa

BaBa

If you are not seeing a nice fat blue spark on the plugs there is something wrong.

21. Harris

Harris

22. metalix_421

metalix_421

baba, with that said, I guess ill buy a new cap and rotor to be on the safe side and eliminate one more thing.

23. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hold a sparkplug wire close to the tip of the sparkplug while you crank the engine. If you get a good arc, your ignition system is working. Even though you said you checked the firing order, make double and triple sure. As was said, make sure of which way the distributor turns. I don't know off-hand. Take off the distributor cap and crank to see. Then start over setting up the sparkplug wires. Remove #1 plug. Crank the engine 'til you feel compression. EDIT: With your finger or thumb over the sparkplug hole. Stop. Your timing marks should now be just short of lining up. Continue to turn the engine 'til the marks line up. Whichever lug on the cap the rotor is pointing to is your #1. Hook the #1 sparkplug wire to it. Then hook all the other sparkplug wires up accordingly...in the same rotation as the rotor turns. Now that you're absolutely sure the firing order is correct, and you know you have spark, you can move on to other things.

Check points gap and that the points are tightened down.

Got the rotor in there?

Moisture inside the cap? Wipe it out with toilet paper. (not facial tissue)

What did you do to the engine recently? New timing chain? Installed incorrectly.

If you've got spark and the right firing order, it should run...unless the distributor is way off. But you said you didn't have it out. Did you change the rotational position at all? If so, try moving it back and forth while you crank.

You said you got shocked, but you see no spark at the plug. You HAVE to be able to see spark at the plug.

Last edited: May 5, 2013
  24. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Second time I said this tonight, but...

A "remote" or auxiliary starter switch hooked to the starter for cranking while you're under the hood is a big help, and they're inexpensive. It'll allow you to keep your focus on the task at hand instead of splitting your focus, trying to reach down there to crank the starter with a screwdriver. It's safer too, and it'll avoid damaging the lugs on the starter and solonoid.

25. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

New sparkplugs might be needed.

Good luck. Goodnight.

26. 3spd

3spd

Have you checked your compression?

27. morac41

morac41

Hi .... The firing sequence is on the back of the intake......

28. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

If it's giving you that much trouble, this is a good idea, too!

I use those spark plugs with the alligator clip on them for testing ignition. Sometimes there is enough spark to jump the gap of your regular spark plug, or off a screwdriver, but when the plug is put under load (compression) it might not have enough voltage to fire.
    The specially made testers, have built in resistance to duplicate the plug under load.
    Therre are 2 different ones...one for points one for electronic ignition.

29. Okatoma cruiser

Okatoma cruiser
    from Ms

Is it backfiring or just turning slow? Can't say for sure but I think #1 cyl is on the right bank unlike the rest of gm cars

30. metalix_421

metalix_421

I keep coming back to a voltage problem but Ive even tried a hot wire from the battery to the coil. I still does the same thing.

I guess tonight when I get off work Ill hook up a second battery to is and see if I can get it to turn over a little faster.

Keep the ideas comming I am still stuck.
    Ill be on it tonight hopfuly tonight is the night that it runs

Thanks Guys