Register now to get rid of these ads!

I cant compete

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roadster jones, May 4, 2013.

1. Roadster jones

Roadster jones

Well i'm about to give up on trying to find a model a roadster, a guy in town here found one real close to me and bought it with a haulmark incloesd trailer for 5g's and did not want the roadster and ended up selling the roadster for 6 grand i found out 2 days later after i'm getting off work. After getting off work from working 12 hours strait pouring concrete and see it siting out side his garage on the way back to the shop. Knowing i shouldnt stop and ask about it but on the off chance he might sell it i stop and ask about it sure enough it sold two days prior on graigs list i never had time to check because im working 12 hours a day.I cant compete with old retired guys that have all the time to talk with their buddys on word of mouth sales and get first crack at the car before young guy's like me have a chance at even finding out about these cars and the guys that buy them dont even want them the just want to flip them and brag about what a deal they made they dont even care about the car its all about the money i just want to build a period correct 40's roadster and i dont think i'll ever be able to afford one i'm just about to give up and do what all the guys my age are doing and build lowerd s 10's with turbo LS1's in them at least i could find and aford them. I'm just at wits end with every one thinking thier roadster is worth its weight in gold and if i do find them if some one dosent find it first and turn around and sell it again for a profit just to make money not to appreciate the car. I just dont know what to do im frustrated!!!!!!!

2. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Ah, just hang in there. All us old guys with the time and money to look for these deals are dying off........patience, just have patience. :D

Don

3. Want some cheese? :rolleyes:

4. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

Be patient, some day you'll be an old retired guy too... :D

5. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Feel free to drop some punctuation in there from time to time. Thanks!

6. Roothawg

Roothawg

Haha...tht made my head hurt.

7. phat rat

phat rat

here we go

Attached Files:

• 8531.jpg
      8531.jpg
      File size:
      33.2 KB
      Views:
    • gay.jpg
      gay.jpg
      File size:
      46.4 KB
      Views:
  8. I was building my first Model A several years before you were born,,I worked 2 jobs and raised 2 daughters,,while many guys my age where driving later model cars.

If you want to build a car you can,,don't worry about us older guys buying everything up and getting all the good parts,,,we paid our dues and nothing comes easy.

You can't compete?,,when did hot rods become a competition,?,build what you can afford,you may not find that perfect car the first time out,It's rare to score that dream project.

It took me building many car being built and sold to end up with what I wanted. HRP

9. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

seems alot of young guys feel entitled...the entitled generation...stop whining and get off your ass and network with people and find out where the cars are...SAVE your money for that car of your dreams, instead of spending it on stupid shit that doesn't get you what you want...it takes time...it doesn't happen overnite.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  10. brad chevy

brad chevy

How many times did you drive by it ? Old guys stop on site if its something they want. Plenty of roadsters out there just waiting for you.

11. Totally agree with Larry. HRP

Last edited: May 4, 2013
  12. 1927Tudor

1927Tudor

well said HRP

13. Hot Rod Jerry

Hot Rod Jerry

Yeah, one day I will die off, the wife will sell my car and some young guy will be raving about the "barn find" he just found. He will never know the hundreds of hours spent in an unheated garage, and all the blood, sweat and yes even tears it took to build my dream. Hey, I know about the tweve hour days.

14. Acme Speed Shop

Acme Speed Shop
    from so cal

Some are "can do" and some are "can't do" thinkers. You need to take a deep breath and get over the disappointment of missing that particular deal. I have worked 8-12 hours a day for the last 30 years and still find the deals. Put your attention to making it happen not complaining that it aint fair.

15. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)This is funny ,funny sad, Poor kid .Every kid needs q roadster when he turns 21. Problem they don't make them a the Ford Factory any more.:eek::D

16. 62rebel

62rebel

old people die. wait for their shit to be auctioned off. their kids are damn sick and tired of hearing about it, and will be glad to see it go.
    sometimes they die earlier, and their wives sell off their shit because it reminds them that their husbands spent all their money on cars and they don't need or want some old car sitting around.
    sometimes they divorce their husbands and the poor fucker has to sell all his shit to pay the lawyers.

any way you look at it, you just need a little patience.

17. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

You got time. That's something you can't buy.

18. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

Patience man.Maybe one will pop up while you are working on your s 10.I work 6 days a week and have 2 kids.I have come to terms that I won't be able to have one until My kids are grown and I am an old man.The right car will find you sooner or later if it's meant to be.

19. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

If old cars were easy to get, every yahoo would have one. Stop crying and keep looking.

20. Ebert

Ebert

X 10, Larry. Quit the pitty party and go make it HAPPEN....like we did!

21. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

ah, let him give up....more stuff for us old guys ...

22. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks Larry! The ENTITLED Generation, finally they have a name.

23. Ruben Duran

Ruben Duran

Hell, I've been looking for one for the last 10 years! Almost came close to buying one a couple times, though. Good things come to those who wait.

24. Scott F.

Scott F.

Stop bitching. I'm 10 years older than you and have only 1 old car. I want another and am SLOWLY figuring out how to accomplish it.
    Heard from a guy once (who's legendary) that if you want something bad enough you will figure out a way to get it. To that I add "if you don't get it, you didn't want it bad enough".

25. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Periodically check Craigslist at work during your 12 hour days on your i phone (I bet you have a smart phone). You get breaks right? If you find a killer deal, call and tell them you're on your way, then "go home sick".

Should everyone looking for a car on Craigslist cease and desist until you score one just because you're too busy working?

As mentioned, network. Start asking around and if you have the cash, the cars will become available.

Model A's are plentiful. Look at angles other than Craigslist. Get your ass out of bed @ 2:00 AM on a Sunday and be walking the car swap meets with a flashlight, etc.

26. flathead okie

flathead okie

I'm working 12's. So far I've bought and/or sold in the last 5 yrs. Model A coupe w/flathead, 63 Falcon Sprint, 64 Falcon Convert., 37 Cord replica, 35 Auburn Rep., And a 30 A Coupe I'm working on now.
    Plus I've sold thousands of dollars of parts I find at the scrapyard on Saturday morning. Stay after it, soon you'll find the right combination on how to get your perfect project.
    Hell, Just these week I sold a complete suspension and running gear for a 33 ford that I found at the scrappers on a Saturday morning. You got to know what to look for. That sale gave me enough money for new wheels a tires for my model A, and I paid scrap price for it.

27. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You're barkin' up the wrong tree thinkin' that others have it easier than you or don't have the passion that you do. I'm 56 years old, and have wanted a roadster since I was a little kid. A few years ago, I finally got a '29 body, a '32 frame, and pile of parts together. I was gonna finally make it happen!!! But I lost my career and some other stuff happened, and had to sell it all just to pay some bills. Then I had a heart attack. Right now, I barely have enough money to pay attention. Sure, it's difficult...no question...but I'm not complaining or giving up because I realize that there are others out there waaaay worse off than I am.

Read a little about HAMBANDY...then tell me you've got it so bad.

28. And that about sums it up. Well said.

29. If you spent the time you just spent looking, instead of complaining....