Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford F1 tach options?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 8flat, May 3, 2013.

1. 8flat

8flat

Looking for examples of ways to mount a tach in my '51 F1 and make it look good. I haven't bought a tach yet, so I'm open for suggestions on what size/style/brand. I'm pretty picky, so I really want to make sure a tach fits in with the look and feel of what I have going on here, and I'm at a loss at what to do.

I'm trying to keep a mostly stock look to the interior, (except upholstery). I've restored all the original gauges and upgraded to 12V, running a full-house flathead.

Any pics would be welcome, I couldn't find a whole lot with a search. THANKS!

Here's what the interior looks like right now:

Attached Files:

• 008.jpg
      008.jpg
      File size:
      301 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: May 3, 2013
  2. 8flat

8flat

TTT, anyone?

3. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

Initially I had a small sun tach mounted low on the dash. It was too hard to see. A buddy of mine gave me this old tach. I made a simple bracket that uses the screw for the defrost ductwork.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bobby

4. 8flat

8flat

Thanks Bobby, I like that style, I think it's an old Sun tach?

5. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

This would be a good one from the Sun "Retro" line. Best spot would probably be under the dash.

sun-fz88r_w.jpg

6. same here

Attached Files:

7. Mount it on the column nice and low... None of that Ricky Ricer shit

[​IMG]

8. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

LOL...thats fine and dandy...until you take that "Ricky Racer shit" to the dragstrip and you can't see the danged thing.
    Maybe, I'm getting old but I need it up in my line of sight (but then again, I can't walk across the street and chew gum at the same time)

I don't think its a Sun tach, I think it might be a Dixco or something like that. All I know is that it was a freebie and I like it

Bobby

9. 8flat

8flat

I like the looks of that one, thanks! I found some originals on ebay, pretty pricey...

Funny, I was eyeballing those same screws yesterday, it sure makes it easy to see up there on the dash, and I damn sure don't want to drill a new hole in the dash. Thanks.

10. 8flat

8flat

Ricky Ricer...LOL. But yeah, I thought about putting it down low I was just worried I couldn't see it very well.

11. 8flat

8flat

I like the looks of this tach, but I'd need to find a cup to fit it:

Attached Files:

12. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

That's a nice looking tach.
    I'm not sure where to buy the cups. You would think they'd be available somewhere

Bobby

13. RHOPPER

RHOPPER

I couldn't find a good spot for mine, and I didn't want to hack the dash, so it's under the dash. Below the dash, to the right of the steering wheel. No, it's not the greatest spot. You have to take your eyes off the road to see it, but at least it's there. You could always "shift when you're afraid not too".

14. My dash had been modified in the past, so here's what I did.
    If it was in good shape I would have mounted one to the column similar to what has been suggested previously.

Attached Files:

15. I was just kidding mines just for show, didn't catch that you were racing lol

16. 1950Effie

1950Effie
    from no where

I mounted mine on the left side of the column in my '50. One of the steel cased Moon tachs before they went plastic.

Attached Files:

17. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

LOL...no problem, I wasn't offended or anything. Its not like I'm a big time racer (but I am as uncoordinated as I said). I take the old truck out to the track twice a year when the local track has a special night just for hot rods and they limit entries to1973 and older cars only.
    In fact, its next Saturday night. So, if anyone is in the Albuquerque, NM area then Saturday May 11th is the Hot Rod Rumble and Albququerque International Dragway.

Bobby

18. Gman0046

Gman0046

Cups are on eBay all the time.