Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Oh No!!! It Can't Be...Another Gasser Build? Yup, 1961 Buick Skylark

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BloodyKnuckles, Feb 10, 2009.

1. mustangmike6996

mustangmike6996
    from the D

skylark gasser... not eveyday you see one of those..

2. Wooo - Now I scared about that 364 I sold to Mikey!!!! Naw - it's gotta be fine.

Sorry to hear about that Ron - Is a sleeve an option?

3. I bet you look in the mirror a lot.

4. cougarmike

cougarmike

Everything is bolt in! It's all reversible except the hole for the Paxton!!!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

5. cougarmike

cougarmike

6. cougarmike

cougarmike

Sorry, I meant to quote the other guy, the purist!

7. hotrod_willie

hotrod_willie

The car looks great. I call friend of my about another nail head. He said it was 50's some motor. Keep up the great work. Do not let this old Gold Chainer get to you?

Last edited: May 2, 2013
  8. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

I've looked through the entire thread and I missed the part where anyone asked for your opinion. Take a hike if you don't like it.

9. Tell'em, Kev! I'm so mad I can't! :D

10. WTF is inside your head ?!?!?!

11. drunkandgreasy

drunkandgreasy
    from nunya

Read every post,man, that's a sweet car to start with. I love the rear valances on those. Right on man! Keep it up!

Cheers and beers
    Hodge

12. Motomike43

Motomike43

Love it. I am building a Gasser for my dad right now. 65 novaII. I wasn't really into the gasser thing when we started. But it's growing on me fast. I like nostalgia drag racing ( mostly sling shot dragsters ). We are running a big block chevy on hilborn injection. I look forward to seeing your project progress.

13. MISCONSTUDE

MISCONSTUDE

Check Studebaker International, they used to have the hats for the blown avanti motors.

14. Geargoyle Curtis

Geargoyle Curtis

Obviously you have chosen the wrong place to hang out! :rolleyes: Do a google search for square heads and I am sure you can find something more of your taste!;)

15. Thanks for all the support guys.

Today went much better. I picked up another 401 this morning. This one is a '62 and has subtle differences; center sump compared to a rear sump oil pan, slightly different water pump and timing cover. The engine is in really good shape. My new cam came in today. I'll have specs soon.

Tomorrow I'll have the engine all buttoned up and ready for paint. I've got pics coming.

BloodyKnuckles

16. hotrod_willie

hotrod_willie

Why don't get off the Hamb and go back watching TV? Mr. I went 214 mile hour in small block chevy 30 years ago. Now days you ride around the shows in your scooter and setting in your chair telling everybody how great you were. GOLD CHAINER. What have you don't done last 10 years? NOTHING.

Last edited: May 3, 2013
  17. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

I have a spare SBC you can drop in there......

18. hotrod_willie

hotrod_willie

Glad for the good news. Keep it up

19. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just seeing this thread. I'm really out of the loop. GEESH! Looking good brother!!! Sorry to hear about that engine. Good to hear there is a recovery plan, though!!

Keep on keepin' on, bub!

20. Engine stuff.

If you want to run an ST400 on an engine that had a Dynaflow behind it, you need to install a crank adapter. I purchased mine from Russ Martin with Centerville Auto.

First, grind off existing lip for the Dynaflow flexplate;
    [​IMG]

Second, make sure the crank end is smooth but don't take any material off of the bolt mounting surface;
    [​IMG]

Lastly, clean the crank hole and add loctite to the crank hole and the adapter and press in. Done.
    [​IMG]

Next step is installing a rear sump on a mid-sump engine.
    First, install the rear most bolt, line up pump shaft and spray paint through the front mounting hole;
    [​IMG]

Second, Drill and tap block;
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lastly, install gasket and pump;
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also, from '61 to '62 the changed timing covers and waterpumps. They cannot be interchanged. I found out the hard way. It's all good now.

[​IMG]

Here is why I found out all of this. I pulled apart my '61 and found this shit;
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Engine is back at the Iron Lords club house for the paint work. I have some engine bay cleaning and prep work for today.

Thanks again for the comments guys.

BloodyKnuckles

21. The rear sump / mid sump thing is confusing. What does a mid sump look like? Is there a mounting pad in the middle of the pan rail? And you moved that back to the rear? You can explain it to me 2 weeks! Keep on hammering!

22. They both share the same general location with the mid-sump having a tube that locates the pick up towards the center of the engine. The rear sump has no tube. The pick up actually mounts directly to the pump for the rear sump. They both share 1 bolt hole and the oil galley hole. Just drill and tap the other hole and change pumps and pick ups and you're good to go. Hope that helps, Tony.

Today, I covered a few firewall holes from the HVAC stuff. I also finish mounted the master cylinder. Tomorrow will be shock mount relocation, steam cleaning and paint. Woo-fuckin-hoo!!:rolleyes:

BloodyKnuckles

23. Heck yeah. Bugger about the first engine, but at least you found a back-up quick. So looking forward to watching this thing run.

24. Painted the engine bay;
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Installed the engine and transmission today. I have a bit of crossmember work for the ST400 to clear.

Engine pics tomorrow.

BloodyKnuckles

25. Geargoyle Curtis

Geargoyle Curtis

26. Thanks Curtis.

Last night, my boy, Jerm nagged me into finishing my radiator ducting. He's alright.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm pretty excited at this point. He did a great job.

Yesterday, I finished the transmission crossmember. Sounds like very little but it was a lot of work.

Tick Tock.....

BloodyKnuckles

27. Scratchbuilt

Scratchbuilt

What a mental build up , i love it.

28. Clockin' some overtime eh man!?! Thanks for takin' a time out every now and then for a pic update. Hope it keeps goin' your way! Hammer down....

29. Pics of progress;
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BloodyKnuckles

30. 'Bout freakin' time! :D

Man. that really came together nice! Are you gonna make it?