Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My chopped n channeled '48 F-1 custom pickup build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fleet-master, Apr 21, 2013.

1. fleet-master

fleet-master

thanks guys, yes I think it'll have a bit of a different look Jim.

2. I knew you had something special in mind for this! Yes It will change everything! And absolutely no doubt you can pull it off. Awesome, this is getting exciting now! Show me more!

3. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Good lord... might as well make fade-away fenders too then. :)

Watching this one since I'm getting ready to pick up on my own F1 daily-turned-project.

4. Torchie

Torchie

Looking great.
    A not so current pic of the one that I am working on. Chopped 4" Channeled 6".
    You can make those doors fit. Lots of people that chop these don't split the roof they lean back the front pillars.

Attached Files:

5. fleet-master

fleet-master

thanks guys for the vote of confidence. I thought about fadeaways Kevin, but not sure I want it to look like an Austin Devon pickup. Also haven't decided whether or not to retain the quarter windows..hmmmm

Attached Files:

6. fleet-master

fleet-master

Looking good Torchie ^^

7. Torchie

Torchie

Thanks fleet-master. It looks better now that all the pieces are tacked in.
    Yours is going to be great as well. Nice to see another custom truck being built. I will follow this thread.
    Torchie.

8. fleet-master

fleet-master

BREAKING NEWS !!! THIS JUST IN !! 48 Chev sedan rear door fits F-1 cab better than 48 Chev sedan front door !! Pics to follow!!

9. fleet-master

fleet-master

Pics are in !! ...I'm happier with the beltline. The shape of the Rt/rear door window frame is closer to the shape of the F-1 Left/front roof pillar,and the front section of the Rt/rear door will be easier to fit to the Rt/front A-pillar. It's all going to require a bit of jiggery pokery but I'm happy with the direction I'm going in at this stage :D:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. fleet-master

fleet-master

I spent a couple hours on it tonight and got a bit done...

F-1 left A-pillar

[​IMG]

48 Chev 4dr sedan, rear half of B-pillar ...

[​IMG]

top of the pillars looks like mating up good..

[​IMG]

better angle..
    [​IMG]

after 2 hours I'm at this point...

[​IMG]

PLEASE tell me I'm not the only one who ends up with a work site lookin like this!! :D:D:eek::eek:
    [​IMG]

11. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Geeez, and I thought this was going to be just another F-1 build........I can't wait to see your progress!

12. Torchie

Torchie

You are not the only one.
    When you work by yourself it seems that every tool you need is at the other end of the shop and by the end of the day every tool you own is piled up on the project.
    Nice to see some abstract thinking on here. Keep it up.
    Torchie.

13. Torchie

Torchie

Not to Hijack your thread but this is what's going on a half a world away from you in a little garage in Northern Michigan
    Torchie.

Attached Files:

14. You really should start a thread Torchie. I really like what your doing with that!

15. fleet-master

fleet-master

yeah what he said Torchie!!^^^ looks fuckin cool from where I'm sittin!!

16. fleet-master

fleet-master

bit more progress today..

had to cut into the F-1 pillar a bit but the hinges fitted and swing good.

[​IMG]

got to cuttin on a left rear door...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the curvature of the Chevy doorskin doesn't look a hundred miles away from an F-1 door..who'da thunk it!?

[​IMG]

17. Torchie

Torchie

Thanks for the compliments fleetmaster and Tinbender. I will give a thread some thought and thanks fleet-master for being gracious and letting me post a couple of pics on your thread
    It is amazing what will fit where with some modifacation. This is a really great build that shows what can be accomplished using the parts at hand and a person skill and imagination.
    And besides, I have a soft spot for 46-48 Chevys as my first car was a 1947 Chevrolet Fleetmaster 4dr sedan.
    Torchie.

18. ChefMike

ChefMike

some great work keep it up and keep us posted !

19. fleet-master

fleet-master

only got to chop the doors 2in...:D:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

cut up a L/F door ...
    [​IMG]

roof will come down 6in vertically,allowing for a 1/4in gap to window frame..
    [​IMG]

coming together. although the door has a good curvature horizontally, vertically is another story. Although it wasn't tooo bad,I made a couple slices to allow the skin to match the pillars .

[​IMG]

Progress is a bit slow but.. alas still got to do paying work too..:mad: will help pay for stuff I still need tho ,so it's all good.

Last edited: May 8, 2013
  20. Torchie

Torchie

Nice
    Torchie.

21. Jimbacca

Jimbacca

Nice to have a selection of doors. Always great to see blended ideas like that.

22. fleet-master

fleet-master

because the door doesn't run down to the bottom yet, I'm thinking about fitting a rocker panel and leaving the door shorter. I could dress the rocker with some stainless mouldings. i have a selection to choose from...Yes? No?

[​IMG]

23. Dang mr. Ye fixin to create a marvelous f1there...i hope you have something cool for the grill.....i have a RHS f1 fender....its not rusty but very banged up..bunch of bondo....its yours if ya want it....i will take pics of it tomorrow...i dont think youd had issues doing the repairs.

24. fleet-master

fleet-master

Hey Iwanaflattie, thanks for the compliment!! As for the grille I'm not sure yet but the 48-50 Mercury pickup grille looks pretty nice to me.
    And a right rear fender...can't wait to see the photos!!

25. jfrolka

jfrolka

Im not sure about rocker panel stainless, it may look out of place in realtion to the fenders and running boards unless thats going to be sonething far from stock f1 parts as well.

Im interested to see how this game plays when you chop the lid.

Keep it goin, its gonna be pretty wild looking

26. keep goin, this is getting good.

27. gicknordon

gicknordon

This guy did something similar but hes not using running boards. I think he actually extended the whole bottom of the cab.

[​IMG]

28. fleet-master

fleet-master

hey thanks Gick, that sure looks different . he looks to have changed the shape at the front of the window frame too.

29. Yes on the rockers, no on the stainless. My Stude has rockers. I like it, and it gives a nice place to exit 3" exhaust dumps. If you look closely you can see the flared hole. (the cab is sitting on rec. tube, thru the opening.)

Attached Files:

30. Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app<<<THIS IS FALSE ADVERTISEMENT,POS DIDNT WORK!!!!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 5, 2013