Register now to get rid of these ads!

"Do what you want" is SOOO . . . overrated

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MATACONCEPTS, May 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

this poor horse......................

2. Simplicity is the ultimate in sophistication. Most builds should be an exercise in restraint.

3. YES! Finally someone speaks the truth.

Butchering cars does not make you a Hot Rodder. Very few cars are improved by whacking the crap out of them.

4. Anderson

Anderson

I was expecting an entirely different statement to follow this... :D

5. 61 chevy

61 chevy

lets pray that rat rods will soon fade away,

6. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Not fading away, they are evolving into safe drivable cars. Junk is a fad, low buck hot rodding will always be the basis of the backyard build.

7. In the real world long ago, most cars got painted, some race cars got lettered and they were bright and shiny. Time passed they turned faded and the lettering faded.
    New eyes saw the old paint and said, wow, that is the way it was, It must be traditional.
    So they patina'd everything in sight.
    Kinda the same with lowering, chopping.
    Whatever.
    Do what you want and I'm going to bed.

8. well i got through the 1st one...but as usual mata's post confused me. now I just tried to read the rest...it didn't work. I only remember one thing right now. beer. someone somewhere mentioned it. I liked that part. corse im also a few deep. but back to cars. if you want to chop and do really crazy stuff, get something that is on the rough side. that way you don't screw up something nicer...off to the ice box.

9. vinnymac44

vinnymac44
    from W. Oregon

How true how true

10. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

There are far too many people trying to impress other people when building a car. That`s when things go wrong.

11. 1954fordkustom

1954fordkustom

I just build my stuff the way I want it. There is always going to be people who either like it or don't. Iv built my 54 in my garage since the day I bought and I'm proud of where it's at and how it turned out.

12. slammed

slammed

13. randy

randy

So far as complaining on the internet about a problem that will solve itself and doesn't matter a bit in the grand or less than grand scheme, I'd advise that "less is more."

But hey, "do what you want."

Last edited: May 4, 2013
  14. Post Apocalyptic Kustoms

Post Apocalyptic Kustoms
    BANNED
    from Outside

15. Woob

Woob
    from Falcon, CO

LOL. Three pages later, I'm in.

Yeah it does. And the fact that I get it dates me.

Wasn't she painted over another painting? I guess that shouldn't have been done either then. Should've just left the original original and not painted Mona in the first place.
    ^^
    To apply this to spreading the gospel of traditional hot-rodding:
    They're only original once. Restoration is just another form of customization. I'm all for keeping the originals and enjoy those most that have some scars or character from years of "life". If you repaint it the same color, it's still been repainted.
    "See that dent right there? I remember when..."

No. It's not.

16. cavemag

cavemag

As long as abominations like this keep winning best of show they'll keep getting cobbled together. The rear axles were a mile long with super skinny tires.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. woof

18. Half the fun of a really wild custom is the number of people who get their panties in a bunch over it. As the car above illustrates, though, there are limits you shouldn't go beyond.

19. hot rod wille

hot rod wille

I agree! Just my opinion,but cars "laying frame" just look broken to me. I've always said: If your car's not comfortable-you just have a toy. My cars get driven--a lot! I've seen these "overly-low" cars blow out--and it's not pretty: all kinds of fluids go everywhere,even seen master cylinders get ripped off! But I guess you can "do what you want"--just don't kill anybody!!

20. I always like simple and clean builds, which is why I joined the Hamb, there lots of great examples on here. My favorites are the real rusty cars that people bring back as mild customs or hotrods.

Theres other sites for ratty shock rods...

Same goes for builds with modern drivetrains, still cool, my daily has a more modern engine in it. I just love the old engines. I start the flat 6 in my Pontiac just to listen to it, old engines, especially flatties have a sound, not the clackity sounds of a worn out one, but a nice mechanical meshing of everything working together, and a nice burble out the exhaust. Not powerful sounding, but it makes me happy that something 60yrs old runs so good.

21. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

The one good thing the ratrod craze did was it got interested car people using their cars without having to have them totally finished in a perpetual state of restoration. The ugliness and shock value aspect is fading away already.

22. GTOMUSTANG

GTOMUSTANG
    from ct

I always get annoyed when someone takes a real 34 and makes it look like the ZZtop coupe...like every fiberglass 34 looks like.

too bad more people don't look at fiberglass, whether its a first gen tbird or vette into a gasser, or an even earlier car...go kill one of those, and then hate its ride quality.

23. jesse1980

jesse1980

Yeah, what hotrodon said on the first page.

24. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]
    I actually unchopped this 30 years ago. Well sorta. I did not like the feeling sitting in it as a chopped truck. I did not ask anyone. none of their business really. I just used the chopped cab to repair the back of my cab that for some odd reason was cut out.

I actually hate the cartoon like cars that many of you prefer. All I can do is admire the workmanship on some but not all of the 'R" rods

It does bother me when someone takes a nice body and cuts it up so much that it can never ever return to its beautiful design. Too many rusty bodies to cut up a nice one. IMHO

Last edited: May 4, 2013
  25. rikirix57

rikirix57

yep .........

26. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

Awesome truck Tommy.

27. Now an original idea Ive just created the UN-CUSTOM SHOP, thats right a place where cars built to imulate original hot rods can be thansformed from its misconcieved original idea back to its original configuration- stock then years from now, when customizing is cool again, there will be plenty of cars to try out original ideas onthat are not actually original.

28. The problem with "Do what you want" is that some people want to do really stupid things. For instance, not against top chops, but you need a windshield big enough to see where you're going and see traffic lights and big enough to have working windshield wipers.

29. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

"Dile". Educate them. Dont let them trash our Beutiful American Cars.

DONT LET THEM DO WHAT THEY WANT!! I bug, I get annoying, I catch myself sometime. I know you are suppose to let your kids fall on their face, but they're killing our cars.

I'm a car fanatic. It's all about the cars. You know China has No Fish. It's all fished out.

30. mustangmike6996

mustangmike6996
    from the D

I agree with both sides to an extent. I do like to see creativity but I hate seeing butchered cars.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.