Register now to get rid of these ads!

"Do what you want" is SOOO . . . overrated

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MATACONCEPTS, May 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

Aui yui yui. Everyone wants to chop, channel, Z, stretch, suicide like they are gonna blow everyones mind. Then they want to come here & share their butchering with us, cause simply impressing their sisters, aunts, & nephews wasn't enough.

They come here to people of somewhat similar interest. They start in with, "I'm building a Traditional Rod with a chop, channel, Z, stretch, suicide . . . . ." And you know our response. But there's that one guy, and I've said it to, "Do what you want".

Here's the problem: "It didn't work, it was uncomfortable, & I sold it. Now I'm into more of the stocker look." Now there's another RedHeaded, Stepchild, Orphan Freak we have to see at the car shows & are stuck going . . . "eewu"

I get sad. They killed it. Now there's one less out there & that kind of bums me out.

Next time before you say, "Do what you want", say,"Less is better", instead.

2. atomickustom

atomickustom

A little cranky, but really on the mark.
    "Less is more" is a good mantra, especially for newbies, and if you start off with a car that looks good to begin with you don't have to change everything about it to get good results.

3. T__N__A

T__N__A

I agree. less is better. That's why I chopped my 31 sedan 6.5 inches!!! actually it was a pretty rough body and figured i couldn't hurt it any.

4. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

And the other side of the coin is that no one is forcing you to read their posts or look st their work.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One of my best friends is always saying that some car is "so radical" when I see said car or truck it usually appears "so fucked up" to me. Almost every one he has a fit over is so overdone that one wonders what the builder was thinking outside of the idea that he was out to impress the mouthbreathing nose pickers in their WWE fan club t shirts.

6. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

My wife told me to do what ever I wanted to do once. So I bought the 61 Galaxie.
    She said that isnt what she meant. Why do they do that to us?
    I have the Galaxie, and a new wife who loves it.

7. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

when did it become the HAMB's job to tell people how to build stuff?

i get spreading the gospel and keeping the tradition alive but unless you are paying the bills...you are just watching

8. powrshftr

powrshftr

The trouble is,we ARE forced to look at these rolling abortions every time we go to a show or cruise night and some hacked up,poorly engineered,ridiculously proportioned death trap P.O.S. rolls in with zoomie headers and a Mr Gasket faux Enderle scoop on a stock 305 with 300,000 miles belching oil smoke....
    Whew....that one was pretty ranty,wasnt it....?
    Its just how I feel.I hate seeing people "brag" about their shitty craftsmanship.....or complete lack of anything resembling craftsmanship.:mad:

9. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

I once had a '62 Studebaker pickup and the only body modifications were done by Mother Nature and various stationary objects. Not knowing that I was starting a trend I called it the ugly truck and kept it mostly hidden.

As a result of that adventure I am amazed that people want me to look at the trash that they are driving? It's a strange new world.

10. cmarcus

cmarcus

...and I think there is "a term" around here that references that description, that is not allowed to be spoken...

Being a newer guy myself, I think it is always best to err on the side of caution. We all know changing visions 10 times in a build is easy to do as a new guy, and we know that costs time, money, and at times an outcome that is not as planned, and potentially butchered. I for one know that the folks here that give the honest opinions help keep me in line. But at times, it does seem some people aren't going to listen regardless. Sometimes the result is great, other times...well, yeah. I think, unfortunately, it will always be a gray area.

11. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I'm with you brother!! I tell it how it is, even OUTSIDE THE HAMB! :eek: :eek:

I hate circus freak shock value draggin its ass on the ground like it has worms fuckpile wanna be hotrods that can't even be driven like a normal car.

But maybe its just me! :rolleyes:

12. raidmagic

raidmagic

NO! I will NEVER tell someone how to build their car.

No you don't, just walk right on by it. There are a few real hunks of crap that come up to our local show and we just walk right by them. No one makes me walk over to them and look.

13. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

OH GOD!!! That RAT ROD RAPED my EYEBALLS!! AHHHH!!!!

(in before the lock!!) :D

14. Less is definitely better unless your talking about Money, Sex or Hooter size!

15. fossilfish

fossilfish
    from Texas

Someone smarter than me once said "the neat thing about what we do is each person has his or her own idea what works or does not work." Sometimes they find out that they were right and other times, not so right. That is how we learn.
    The very first car I built is best described by the lyric from a song, "at least I thought I was dancing till someone stepped on my hand." It was a big learning curve with no one around to help me.
    I "dance" better now days...Well at least I think I do because I don't get my hand stepped on quite so often.
    To that end I think that most of us on here, if they were truthful would admit their first attempt at a build was a bit short of great.

16. I like chopped, channeled, and zd cars. is that not what this site is for? I got tickled when I read this post seing that my students and I have just set an off topic truck on the ground that we channeled. Yes its going to be uncomfortable but if thats what I wanted we would put a motor and chassis under a lazyboy.

17. People come on here and ask for opinions, other people express theirs, and then someone makes the incredibly insightful comment - it's your car do what you want. (that was sarcasm folks)
    Well, if they really felt comfortable with that concept they wouldn't have asked in the first place.

Look, whether you want to admit it or not. A BIG part of building our cars is the acceptance of our peers. Not everyone obviously, but at least the people we like and or respect.
    And don't give me that bull shit that you don't care what anybody else thinks or that you only built it for yourself, because if that were true, you wouldn't bother to show it here or anywhere else. And it you don't believe that, you are just kidding yourself.

even the guys who intentionally build a piece of shit for shock value that they know everyone will rag on still want some form of acceptance from their friends ~ "Dude that's so rad"

18. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

I have to agree with this. As long as it's not intentional crap building, some people just don't know how or where to start. I'm in the same boat. My truck is a piece of crap hack job, but I love it because it's mine. I'm lucky enough to have the patience to start mine over.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

19. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

yui, "I" am the Frito Bandito!

Man, that dates me....

20. Well said.

This is a traditional hot rod & custom site - if you don't know what that means, go buy a Don Montgomery book, a vintage copy of HRM, or flip thru the yellowed pages of the little books - it's actually pretty well defined. If you do and choose to ignore it for 'shock' or 'statement' value - there are more appropriate web venues for you.

21. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Neh, when they get REALLY big, they are usually all veiny and have stretch marks, unless they're fake. And we all know how HAMBers feel about fake shit...:D

22. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

DEAD on the money...

23. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

This.

24. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

do what you want still is the way of the land. not every modification is going to end up with good results. just look at some of the work done by the biggest names in the kustom world, not all good looking rides. I am selling a chopped Ford project, and bought a mild custom project. I will miss have something radical but, a plain Jane will be just fine. if people don't like it - oh well.

25. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

the sad thing is once most folks get something into their head they need to try it and see for themselves it wasn't a great idea , ive found over the years you might as well talk sense to the dog , atleast the dog will usually wag its tail and act like you got through to it , the old adage just because you can do something , doesn't mean you should comes into play ,

26. cmarcus

cmarcus

This is truth.

27. Nailhead Brooklyn

Nailhead Brooklyn

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder...

28. mixedupamx

mixedupamx

I often feel like the auto fashion police at shows as I nitpick all the cars,(wrong wheels, bad color choice, horrible stance, and sometimes just "what the hell were they thinking!!!":eek: but I always keep it to myself. I've been on the receiving end of comments at shows when the commenter doesn't know the car in question is mine. for me it's no problem as I don't care what others think. (opinions are like assholes) The car was built for me not them!

29. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Mata man, you are dead on it! I do like chopped and channeled cars done well, but they have almost become cliche' (again) in the last decade. I can remember in the mid nineties thinking, "damn, I haven't seen a channeled A coupe in forever...". And here it is, now! I think the ting that bugs me the most is when someone takes a super nice, complete stocker rocker car and does the cut, chop, suicide, and stretch deal. I guess I grew up in an era where that was what you did with the stuff that could never go back to complete and get sold to a restorer. Hell, give me an "A"coupe body with a lopsided chop and some frame fragments and I'll save it into something cool and usable, but my nieghbors 80,000 mile stocker '30 coupe? It's earned the right to be preserved as is.

The best line I've ever heard about a similar thing was "Let's get tatoos and piercings and be different like everybody else"!

30. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Sometimes the mean people hurties the feelings of my inner child, so to suppress my sadness I get the red hot poker out and burn it until it squeals and runs away and hides in a dark nook somewhere in my psyche.

Honestly I don't care. People can and will build what they want. Besides the RaT rOd types I make fun of people in rice rockets too. Sweet Honda bro!

All I care is that I've got some sweet cars that I like driving.

Some self-important douchebag in a Prius probably thinks it's loud and ugly and a waste of resources. He can go piss up a rope.

That's life though!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.