Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead vs. SBC

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cobra2, May 3, 2013.

1. cobra2

cobra2
    from dallas

I'm seriously thinking about swapping the 265 sbc in my '28 for a flathead V8. I'm concerned about the flathead being too long to fit in the space the sbc is in. I would want to run a mechanical fan like I do now, My radiator is one inch forward from stock location and firewall is not cut. Can those of you with flathead A's give me thoughts on this?
    Thanks

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=17142&pictureid=452242

2. philjafo

philjafo
    from right here

I don't have a flathead motor but givin the choice, I would do whatever is necessary to fit the motor in there.

3. HoosierBuddy

HoosierBuddy
    from Indiana

I'm not sure why, but I feel like a flat head ford may be the most beautiful production engine there ever was. I think that's how I would go too.

Phil

4. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

It should fit in there. A good running flathead is a joy to drive.

5. bobscogin

bobscogin

You should be able to squeeze it in without cutting the firewall. Use the single belt, early water pump/generator drive.

Bob

6. good choice.........

7. poprockcrusher

poprockcrusher

A SBC makes more power at idle than the best flathead at full blast ..chasing trends

8. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

9. philjafo

philjafo
    from right here

If power was the only consideration when choosing a motor we would all be running around with electric motors in our cars. If the motor is exposed as in no hood, show it off like a piece of jewlery, the flathead looks better and will get more attention the the sbc. Hood on can't see the motor run the sbc, its more dependable and parts can be had anywhere.

10. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

11. fsae0607

fsae0607

My $0.02...

Flathead. It's a beautiful engine, plus SBC's are everywhere. I changed my mind about swapping the GMC 305 for a SBC in my '61 after getting many compliments at the Viva car show. Yeah a SBC would be easy and budget-friendly, but it would take away the "soul" of my truck. In your '28, a Flathead would look bitchin'. I am now officially part of the "SBC's are boring" crowd haha :D

Just my thoughts...

12. Iron Dog

Iron Dog
    from Minnesota

I'm certainly not sorry I built the flathead for my ride. Love the motor.

13. I don't think he's asking if he SHOULD. He's asking if he CAN, without cutting.

14. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

Doesnt a guy have to cut and angle the fill tube in the back to miss the flange where the gas tank and firewall meet.

15. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

You're talking Flathead V8? You got the money, build another car.

A chopped bed, centerlines & a 265 SBC , you got a real nice Traditional HotRod there. Leave it alone, keep enjoying it.

The disk brakes, tube axle, 10bolt rearend, coilovers, aluminum radiator, centerlines it wont match an old looking Flathead motor.

16. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

Shut Up! He said, "FEEDBACK". Lets get him!

17. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

spitting coffee on my keyboard !!!!!!

18. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

19. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

:pDogpile on Richard!!!:p

20. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

He said that the radiator is pushed ahead 1 inch. That should give him enough room for the fill tube if the crankshaft pulley doesn't have problems with the front crossmember.

It can be done. Just may be alittle tight.

Neal

21. I own one of each motor, I will spend a little time this weekend and give you my opinion if it will fit without major modifications. I agree with almost every comment that you have gotten so far. The SBC is a more dependable motor and very cost effective, but nothing looks better or sounds better the a ford flathead. You can get decent horse power out of a flathead, but you had better be ready to empty your pocket book. I have a 52 ford that is running a stock flathead which I believe is rated at about 90 HP. In a light vehicle you will find this to be enough to have some fun with. No drag racing champion but the look cannot be beat and most people just see the V8 and have no knowledge about the HP that it makes. Also if you add some simple things like Navarro heads and a finned aluminum oil filter housing you will have something that a lot of people will stop and talk about. My opinion is to do what you really want, don't let anything or anybody make up your mind for you. Like said above, Do whatever it takes to make it fit so that you have what you really want.

22. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

I hate radiators pushed forward.

23. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

I think he's got a point! :cool:

24. Thank Henry for the flathead!! What would have used in their hot rods? in line 6 or those expensive V8. Where you can see the word nostalgia? The sound of a flathead? As you get that look on your car?
    That is expensive and breaks? Where's the fun!

25. I agree with that!!

26. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For once I agree with you. Unless the 265 is in rough shape I'd leave it in the little truck where it has probably resided for many years.

I've got a flathead for my Model A but it hasn't had an engine in it at all for probably 50 years and has never had an overhead anything. But my reason for putting one in is that it is something that I always wanted and not because I think it would be "cooler" than something that is already there.

27. I took a look at your pictures, your ride looks great. keep it together and build another one with the flathead. that way you can keep it all matching or period correct for a motor.

28. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

Yes the flathead Ford V8 is a wonderful engine to look at.

29. gregga

gregga

I'm going to go the other way due to the lack of locally available parts to repair things like this. Open the engine, diagnose, close with new gaskets, wait for the parts to come in the mail, open the engine, replace parts, close the engine with new gaskets, find there are other problems on the other bank, give up. This is not a daily driver with this engine.

Attached Files:

30. slinginrods

slinginrods
    from florida

sbc rule.i agree that the flatty has its place in a period car.you would need to change your car alot for it to fit in ,and its already cool soo i say leave it.(plus the flatty is sloooowwww).