Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hupmobile DECO goodness.....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bugsy, May 2, 2013.

1. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

I just came across this while perusing Oldmotor.com. I'm a sucker for some of the more off brand coupes but I have never seen one of these models of Hupmobile coupes before. Kinda odd, kinda, swoopy and kinda DECO sexy all at the same time. Said these 1935 "Hupmobile Aerodynamic 527 Series Coupes" came with straight eights and a three piece windshield. Not to mention suicide doors.

Man...lots of potential with already built into these. Too bad they were only in business a year or so after this was produced.

[​IMG]

2. I like that - A LOT!

3. Speed~On

Speed~On

I agree, that's just cool looking.

4. Kind of a cross between a 1933 Willys front end and a 1940 Willys rear end. I LOVE it!

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014

5. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

From any angle, that is a cool-ass car!

Attached Files:

6. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

The design work for the '34-5 Hupmobile was largely the work of future Studebaker designer Raymond Loewy with some help from Amos Northup. Sad that Hupmobile couldn't produce even ten thousand units in either 1934 or '35 including all models for those years.

The lawsuits over control of the Hupmobile Company, the lockouts of ''white collar'' labor, and the side shows going on over suppliers and company debts would make a great movie if well written and directed!

Humpty Dumpty was pushed "

7. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Damn...the more I look at these...the more I like them.

Just another to add to the list of "Never will have that one"!!!

8. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

Yeah, me too. In taking a closer look, I noticed that the one I posted above was a '37 and did not have the 3 piece windshield. Here's a pic I got off google images that shows the 3 piece windshield on a Hup sedan. Pretty cool!

Attached Files:

9. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

hey,

Didja also notice that some of the body panels looked almost Fordlike?......... that's cuz the Hup sedans of that era made use of '33-'4 Ford sheetmetal roof and door stampings via Murray body Co.

10. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

A number of years ago I saw a black street rodded Hupmobile sedan at the NSRA show in Bakersfield and thought it was cool. I especially liked the way the headlight pods are blended into the hood/body.

I also remember photos of this car being posted on the HAMB but am unsure what year it is .....

[​IMG]

11. sololobo

sololobo

outstanding sharing, thanx a bunch. uber coolness! ~sololobo~

12. Weasel

Weasel

The Hupmobile aero Dynamic coupes have been a passion of mine for many years. I have been working on the 'restification' of one of them for many years and I also have a stocker. There are only nine known 618G coupes and in total I doubt if there are more than 20 coupes of all models still in existence. The 1936 618G is probably the most Deco of them with it's Buck Rogers spaceship hood ornament, potmetal side louver spears and waterfall grille....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Ain't got nothing on the Dust Bowl

14. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

who knew, they are very appealing ...

15. I have a back window section for one of these that looks like a split window bug. Its for sale at LA Roadster show this year.

16. Weasel

Weasel

The 1934/35 417W Hupmobiles had Ford bodies supplied by Murray Body - the coupe was a cabriolet body with a 3W roof grafted to it and the sedan was a straight Fordor body on a 117" WB Hupp chassis with L head 245ci 6, with Hupp fenders and hood. That was Hupps 'economy' or entry level model range.

The Aero Dynamics which are the subject of this thread, were Raymond Loewy's first full automotive design (he had previously restyled the 1932/33 'cycle fendered' Hupps) and were nothing to do with Murray body 417W models - totally different beast. The Aero Dynamics were designed in 1932 and were launched in January 1934 concurrently with the Chrysler/de Soto Airflows - compare the styling of the coupe with a 1932 Ford and it immediately becomes apparent how radically advanced these Hupps were at the time. Note that several of the styling features were later copied by other auto manufacturers - split rear windows being just one. Where do you think Amos Northup got his styling cues for the 1937-42 Willys coupes? The bottom photo shows an young Raymond Loewy in his studio with a model of the Hupp Aero Dynamic Coupe....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. ^^^ What a cool office
    The Huppmobile is cool aswell.

18. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Point of compair is very good,few times for many it's hard understand the time frame this stuff happened in,knowing the feel of the day is mostly mixed with what ya know now. I like the way you put it.
    Love the design and time

19. Tuxedo

Tuxedo

By far, my favorite coupe of all time.

20. Weasel

Weasel

And there was a Willys connection - Amos Northup was also the stylist of the Model 77 Willys and subsequent 1937 Model 37. There was a proposal and styling done for an 'econo' 4 cyl Hupp which was a rebadged Willys model 77 with Hupp styling cues and fender skirts....

[​IMG]

21. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Holy smokes man!! You have two of these??!!! Ever since I saw the one that IO posted yesterday I can't stop thinking about them! The three piece windshield reminds me of WWII flying goggles!! Thee are just too damn sweet!!

22. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

The gentleman who owns this car is on the HAMB, unfortunately I don't remember his HAMB name.

23. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

that coupe is one funny looking car. i'd say the doors need to be 6 inches longer.

24. Weasel

Weasel

That'll be Hupster - his Hupp is a 1935....

25. alsancle

alsancle

Love the coupe.

I like all the Hupps from 32 right until the end. The cycle fender cars are cool too along with the Skylarks.

26. Weasel

Weasel

The Übercoolness continues with factory fender skirts....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. I had one back in the early 50s for a DD when I wrecked my 50 chev vert. The garnish was all teak . You opened the rumble seat with a pull of a leather strap behind the drivers head. They also weighed a ton & the fenders were the thickest I have ever seen. Gas mileage sucked even with the free wheeling (OD). I believe mine was a straight 8.
    The chev pic is after it was repaired & the hup is under the oak tree in the rear. Click on it to enlarge. The hup was titled 1937 & came to Ohio from NY. There was a tag on the firewall stating it was designed by Raymond Lowey.

28. Weasel

Weasel

Here's the skinny on the coupes.

1934:

421J 6 cyl 121" WB.
    427T 8 Cyl 127" WB

1935 521J & 521O 6cyl 121" WB,
    527T 8 Cyl 127" WB

All these had the 'Pilot House' 3 piece windshield - an early attempt at wraparound windshield - the glass bending technology had not yet been developed. Split two piece front bumper and all were rumble seat models.

1936 (and a couple assembled by management during factory shut down in 1936/7) 618G - flat windshield, one piece bumper, 6 cyl, 118" WB, waterfall grille, diecast hood louvers, Buck Rogers spaceship hood ornament. Rumble seat or Business Coupe with trunk. Three Business Coupes survive. Not known if an 8 cyl 621N coupe was ever produced. One convertible was built by management during the shutdown - I have only ever seen one rear view shot of it in the deserted factory and it was basically a coupe with the roof hacked off. Not known if it survived. Hood ornament below is actually 1936 only - not 1935....

[​IMG]

29. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

That hood ornament is unreal!!!! Weasel....you are not helping my newfound illness one bit!! The skirts on that are beyond cool!!!!

How about some interior shots. I'd love to see the dash and also the engine nd compartment if you can.

30. Weasel

Weasel

Dash has elliptical gauges - this one is a 1936 618G....

[​IMG]