Register now to get rid of these ads!

How to clean off ATF

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BaBa, May 2, 2013.

1. BaBa

BaBa

Had a trans cooler line rub through and spray ATF onto the fan. Needless to say it is a mess and has been blown all over the engine compartment. What is the best way to clean it up without wrecking anything else? Soapy water? Mineral spirits? Of course I will avoid or cover the carb and ignition.

2. Iceberg460

Iceberg460

Lots of Brake clean, paint may not like it though. Or spray with Mean Green, or a similar degreaser, then a garden hose. We use both at the shop with something that big...

3. chubbie

chubbie

Did that to many times:eek: I would spray it down with simple green or your favorite degreaser and let it soak. The wand at an old style car wash and wash the shit out of it!! A little water in the wrong place is better than all that oil that NEVER goes away!!! Wash out the radiater,(outside) the oil will stay and start collecting dust and 2 years from now you will have a problem:(

4. Motomike43

Motomike43

A cleaner called Spray9 and a garden hose. Spray9 should not hurt the paint but it may dull it. Don't spray directly onto the finished outside of the car. Under the hood should be fine. Anything stronger then spray9 will hurt paint and anything weaker then spray9 will take forever the work. We use it all the time in the shop for all sorts of stuff. Works great. Te only thing I would not suggest is using on the outside of a car on the finished clear coat. Will def remove the wax and dull the finish.

5. Castrol Super clean or Simple Green purple works well.

6. mr.32

mr.32

I have used PJ1 contact cleaner ,it will not burn paint. It cleans and evaporates. Available at any good Harley shop.

7. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Do it with the engine COLD; hose it down, spray it with Super Clean in the purple jug, let it sit, and then rinse it off. You may need to repeat it. If you leave it on too long, it may remove, or change the color, of the paint (my truck engine was blue, it changed it to yellow!). The stuff works good on suspensions too. Just don't get it on your skin and leave it very long; it will eat your skin, so rinse it off ASAP. Butch/56sedandelivery.

8. fortynut

fortynut

I guess I'm a cheapo, but Dawn cuts a lot of grease. When gasoline was still primarily petroleum distillate, I used to use washing powder and a little go juice for hard to remove stuff. Now I use Dawn because all you need is water: at one time I had a line plumbed directly from the hot water heater and used a rubber hose, that way it cleans good and dries fast. Other guys like the lemon flavored stuff so when it heats up they get a rush. ATF is easy. 90 weight hypoid is a bitch.

9. 53 sparky

53 sparky

Simple green and warm water works really well, and it's easy on the paint job.

10. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Wax and Grease Remover the car painters use!

Also good for removing greasy handprints in bathrooms when the missus starts bitchin' [ not that any car guys know what I mean :D ]

11. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

Still there ain't nothing like the smell of good old fashioned Gunk Engine Brite on a Saturday morning.

12. AAAHHH ! the smell of Gunk..Every time ,it reminds me of riding my bike as a kid,to the Harley dealership and smelling Gunk as they cleaned bikes!!
    I still use it on my engine ,just because it takes me back a few hundred years,,,
    And ,its a damn good product and doesn't harm the paint..

13. I had switched my OT 'Stang over from the 4-speed to a C4. I ran the cooler lines into an aftermarket trans cooler. The same exact thing happened to me, one of the hoses came loose when I was driving it. I thought the car was on fire and parked it quick and made my exit.

Fixed it on the spot, but ATF was all over. Gunk Engine Brite to the rescue!

Bob