Register now to get rid of these ads!

HAMB style air conditioning in the garage...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dane, May 2, 2013.

1. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

It's hot as hell today...

I have the water hose nozzle just cracked open enough to spit a fine mist onto the cement. Behind that is a portable fan on high. It's blowing at me under the car I'm working on. It works!

What do you guys do when it's hot? I already got a cold beer...

2. I just usually wipe my sweaty forehead on the sleeve of my shirt until my shirt sleeve is soaked. Then I switch shirts.

Or I just let the sweat drip onto the inside of my shield while grinding and curse the weather for being so damn hot.

July and August, I get a lot more done after 6 with the garage door open. Sometimes working in the middle of the day just isn't worth it.

3. fsae0607

fsae0607

Cold beer works!

I bought one of those mister fans at lowes. It drenches everything, but at least you stay cool. One day though I want to buy a used portable swamp cooler for the garage.

4. I like your simple idea. Here in Floriduh, my biggest problem is the bugs, that come out at night. Some will wrestle you to the grouind and steal your cold beer.(that you where using to stay cool) HA!

Neighbor has one of those nifty roll down huge screens, on his garage. That's on the wish list.

JT

5. Portable swamp cooler I bought for $20 at a garage sale :D

6. I sure need to do something, garage door faces west, gets warm!

7. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

Hasen't anyone heard of airconditioning? 25000BTU's do my shop.

The ceiling fan worked today.

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I saved the squirrelcage fan and motor out of an old oil furnace that a guy gave me a few years ago and after saving it for a couple of years I pulled the fan out of it and scrapped the rest. That thing will blow about as much air as you can stand as it was designed for a 2500 sf house. It sits on a stand right now and I can aim it where I want it.

9. In AZ in the summer, that would give you the worlds largest hair dryer. Good news, you could cure paint in 3.2 seconds,lol.

10. Catdaddyo

Catdaddyo

Same here, its OK a little on the small size

11. I move mine around to wherever Im working. It wont cool the shop, but it keeps ME cool.

12. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

Move to Kansas City it's 37 here and trying to snow but it was 83 yesterday!

13. I haven't tried it but I"ve heard you can take a towel and hang it so it just has an edge soaking in a tray off ice, then put a fan behind it. As the ice melts, the cold water draws up the towel and the fan blows cold air. Again, haven't tried it, but makes sense to me.

I'm still needing to heat my garage by the way, and had to scrape the ice off the windshield this morning.

P.S. it was 43 here today and was a beautiful day.

14. Bugguts

Bugguts

Hot! Come to Iowa, freak snowstorm today. Mostly slush here on roads, but grass is covered! Had to turn on my heater in garage this afternoon. As a note, I just mowed grass on Tuesday.

15. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I love the heat! :cool:

16. I give thanks it's NOT winter!

And oh yeah, turn on the fan.

17. InPrimer

InPrimer

I try to start early and quit by 11am This f'n place gets hot but sure beats 5 mo. of freezing snow from where i came from

18. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

[​IMG] [​IMG]

19. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

:eek:

20. dad-bud

dad-bud

Levels of coolth available from not-so to brrrrrrrrr:

1. A little bit of air movement over body / skin provides a sensation of cooling, especially if one is sweaty (evaporative cooling).

2. Using an evaporative cooler (swamp box) to reduce the temp of air that can be directed over body, as in 1. above. Relies on wet bulb temp fo air being lower than dry bulb (gets boring after knowing all that). The bigger the gap (dry climate), the more effective and cooler you will feel, the smaller the gap (humid climate), revert to 1. above before the mildew gets you.

3. Refrigerated air cond. Expensive to buy, expensive to run. Provides actual cooling, so long as it's big enough to cope with the heat load. Reduces actual air temp by removing heat and transferring it elsewhere.

4. Tray of ice down your shorts. Sure, it makes parts of your body run away and hide, when they should be nearby for scratching, rubbing and enjoyment, but you won't be worried about being hot.

OK, stupid answer to an early season question. Sue me.

21. I work in the morning, once the heat hits I head to the titty bar. Neither problem or solution is available during my time in Washington.

22. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

I often thought abount making a coil of 1/2 pipe. and running water through it before I water the lawn, and then have a fan behind it. The water from my irrigation well is so cold, it will porobably work