Register now to get rid of these ads!

Howells Sheetmetal, How was your experience? UPDATE!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chopsaw209, Jan 25, 2010.

1. pplummer

pplummer
    from Raleigh

I'm dealing with the same problem now. I ordered several patch panels from them 2 weeks ago. no Tracking info, no receipt of payment, nothing. Paid 200 via paypal. Tried calling several times. The phone is either rings or goes to voicemail. The first time I got "oh, my shipper is out to lunch I have to call you back". The second time was "Wow, ok, I guess I'll have to get the information myself, my shipper didn't call you back? Sorry about that". The third time was "You called me yesterday? Are you sure, well I need to check to see what order you're talking about". That was last week, so here I sit on a Monday with still no order information, the UPS number he gave me was bogus and says there's no such order in the system. If I don't hear from them today, I'm requesting refund of money from Paypal. This is bullshat. I always ordered from the small guy and give them a chance. I gave these guys three chances.

**Update**

I kept hitting redial for the past 30 minutes until they picked up the phone (that must have irritated them) and finally spoke to Ryan. He gave me my tracking number and said the parts are on their way. Now, who knows if it's a full order partial order or what. Geez, these guys need some help in their shop. All it would have taken was a return phone call.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  2. Last time I ordered throug eBay instead of driving out there. Part came in timely manner.

3. Kume

Kume

ditto

Ordered a 27 roadster deck lid which arrived in New Zealand 3 weeks later - excellent prompt service. Initially looked like a good product but when trying to fit it up it became apparent that the lid wasnt square - 1/4 inch longer on one side !!.

4. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

Guess was just a matter of time before they get you, I had posted earlier that I got parts with no problems, last order they sent me 5 window door skins instead of 3 window, I called dozens of times, left tons of messages and in the end I'm stuck with a set of $90 patch panels that are useless to me

5. mrtexas

mrtexas

I live in Beaumont, Tx where both Howell sheet metal and Carline are located. These supply a lot of the flat type sheet metal parts sold and drop shipped by Snyders, Macs, etc. They make Model A running boards etc.

Carline is great to deal with 409 839-9757. Paul orders any part I want from Macs or Snyders and doesn't charge me shipping. Carline will also make custom car sheet metal parts for old Fords and any other make. Carline also makes many of the seat springs for the major suppliers and will make custom as well. Paul won't string you along for weeks without shipping and sells retail as well but doesn't advertise. I stop my Carline at least once a week. Carline also makes many wood parts.

One thing is important to know know about either supplier. Neither stamps out any parts. Their parts as made with simple sheet metal forming machines like brakes, punches, stretcher, shrinker etc. Any part requiring stamping is just not going to fit like it needs to given that fact. However, they are the only suppliers for lots of those parts, take it or leave it.

6. mow too much

mow too much

Bought some parts from them at the Pâté swap meet, tons of parts like always. I have ordered from them in the past, fast shipping.

7. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

8. 5window

5window

?!?

9. 35pickup

35pickup

Ordered some 36 Ford cowl patches from the website a couple of months ago from thier website and got them in a few days. Happy with the quality and service.

10. superjunkman

superjunkman
    from Austin, TX

I walked up to the Howells booth at Pate and handed the dude a credit card and he handed me a deck lid skin. I've had another good experience where they mailed me a part as well. I've heard all the bad stories. None if that has happened to me.

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  11. 32Auburn

32Auburn
    from Oregon

I just got confirmation my parts were sent, AFTER getting Paypal to open a case to get my money back, ignored all my emails and phone calls for almost 2 months. I was very nice in all of them (maybe that was the problem), will never do business with him again.

12. Whitetrash31

Whitetrash31
    from Illinois

just order from Brookville sheetmetal,,, got my parts the same week and you wont have any issues..... i even got a thank you card from Rick.. thanking me for placing the order and to give him a call anytime...!!!!!

13. VSO737

VSO737

I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY ARE STILL IN BUSINESS.

I purchased a door skin a year ago.........no issues.

Used PAYPAL in June of this year for a trunk gutter. They cashed out right away. Still have NOT received the parts.............was given a July ship date and then an August 7 ship date. No information.........called today (AUG 22nd) to get the tracking number. Was placed on hold and then the old answering machine trick with no call back.

Had to contact PAYPAL and my bank.

First time I have ever FILED a complain on a company. There are a lot of reputable ones out there.

SAVE YOURSELF HEADACHES ........DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!!!

14. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

have to say my recent (ish) dealing were surpisingly good--around the first of the year. I received some panels for christmas from my dad--cab corners and cowl patches. the cab corners were shorter than I needed and I didn't like the fitment to boot. after a few calls I talked to them about returning and using credit towards the door skins I still needed. took a couple of weeks, and I got worried for a bit, but ultimatley they were pretty easy to work with and happy to accomodate and I'm satisifed with quality of what I got for the price point.

FWIW, I think you have to be persistent to actually get them on the phone. They're not good at all about returning calls.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  15. Koz

Koz

I buy a lot of stuff from Howells. My experience is, if you're ordering something that they move a lot, it will be timely. If it's more obscure parts you wait. They have always been good with me and the panels do require a bit of massaging to get right but they are not bad by any means.

All in all..... I buy from them regularly with very few problems.

16. 39 chevy kustom

39 chevy kustom

Try these guys for T and A panels and parts . Small company committed to making good parts there cowl bands actually fit and they will go the extra mile to make a customer happy . When you call you usually talk to the company pres. Dale . Am well pleased with there products , wish I knew about them.before I got Howells scrap metal.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

17. Mgoody

Mgoody

Just wanted to let everyone know that the bad press that Howells Sheetmetal / Fordor has gotten over the years is well deserved - and still going strong! Ordered some floor sheetmetal over the phone, because the online order never worked out with 4 separate attempts (you place the order, when you hit submit it alerts you that they will call you back to confirm - But They Don't). They took my order, my CC info, The shipping address and after a couple weeks, i tried to contact them - NO ANSWER.. Left a dozen or so messages, NO RETURN CALL... I then changed my caller ID to show a Houston, TX area code, and they answered on the 1st ring (apparently they screen their calls). When we spoke about my order, I heard lots of shuffling of papers, then said to me; "sorry, I can't find your order"! Then he mumbled something about someone being at the bank, but would call me back... I won't hold my breath...
    Its amazing that this company is still around. They really are a terribley run company.