Register now to get rid of these ads!

sbf/short water pump/pulleys

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ***Area-51***, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

I'm using a 302HO from a '90 Mustang and have gone with a Motorsports short pump and pulleys from CVF racing. I may have just gotten lucky, but the pump and timing cover match (CW rotation), and the pulleys align. I haven't run it yet, but everything appears to be correct so far.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  2. alaskaal

alaskaal
    from Delaware

Isnt the 90 302HO still a reverse rotation pump? If using this with a v belt and running in a anticlockwise rotation won't you over heat??? The problem still persists.....Whether we run serpentine or v belt......darn pump STILL runs wrong direction. HAS to be a way to run a modern "roller" motor in an older body style with a standard rotation pump/timing cover combo that accepts pulleys that line up on crank/alt/water pump!!!!!!

3. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

The M-8501-E351S pump is standard rotation for v-belt apps and the ports matched my timing cover.

4. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Alaskaal, as I mentioned in my previous post in this thread, I was ready to pull out what little hair I have left over trying to get this setup to work. After blowing up a couple of expensive Ford Racing short pumps I determined I was overdriving the waterpump by at least 50%.

March Pulley Company was ZERO HELP, and rude as hell, and they live right down the road from me. I finally found Runne Rite, who made the original pulleys for Ford Racing and their pulleys did the trick. I had to use the correct timing cover, the short Ford Racing pump, the Ford Racing harmonic balancer, and I think an alternator mounting kit from Summit. All in all I had about a $1000 bucks in the whole fiasco, but it has now been on the car for the past 3 or 4 years with zero problems and the car runs cool.

Hope this helps, and I hope your boy gets home soon and safe.

Don

This is a picture of the WRONG Zoops pulleys I had on it in the beginning. You can see how small the top pulley is, it was spinning like crazy.

[​IMG]

And these are the correct pulleys from Runne Rite.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  5. Reindeer

Reindeer
    from Finland

I have Ford racing short std rotation V-belt pump and CVF pulleys with Summit damper which came with a set of spacers and it has 3 and 4 bolt pulley patterns.

6. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

As I mentioned, the pump isn't the stock CCW piece, and since the crank rotation hasn't changed it just needs a CW pump (with matching t-cover) and pulleys.
    The difference in ports is obvious, so if you match the cover/ports to the correct rotation pump you good to go. The block doesn't care about rotation, just flow direction.
    [​IMG]

Tuck likes this.
  7. alaskaal

alaskaal
    from Delaware

Don, Mr T
    Thanks for the info. Very much appreciate it!
    Looks like the FRPP 302/351 cover # M-6059-D351 and std rotation pump #M8501-G351 with a set of runne rite pulleys are going on the car.
    For good measure think I'll be ordering the Professional Products balancer #80007.
    Thanks again to all

8. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Oh, forgot to mention, you might also need one of Ford Racing's aluminum spacers to go between the damper and pulley to get proper alignment. They make them in a few different thicknesses. You won't know which one you need until you seat the damper and get everything else bolted up, then you will see how far out of alignment your bottom pulley is.

I think the Runne Rite pulley set comes with one of those spacers, but it has been about 6 years since I did it so I forget, but you might ask them when you order the pulleys.

Don

9. Bingo, your are correct, the direction of the water pump totaly and only depends on which timming cover you have.

I have a 91 302 roller that I converted back to carb, and I just got and older timming cover so I could run a fuel pump, then took the timming cover to the local parts store and matched a water pump to the cover I had and ordered a fuel pump lump from Summit and 28,000 miles later, all is still good.

55newbie likes this.
  10. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

I have a 1990 Mustang 5.0 roller block, eliminated everything but the water pump. I used a standard rotation water pump from a 1990 Crown Vic, stock timing cover (the ports matched), stock crank pulley, stock-size ribbed water pump pulley from ASP (Performance Machine), and low-mount alt bracket from Aaron Price. 38-3/4" ribbed belt from Autozone. It all fits well, but haven't run it yet.

Alt bracket
    Water pump pulley
    Water pump

[​IMG]

Tuck likes this.
  11. lowXM

lowXM

anyone ever seen or used one of these?

http://www.racemate.com/alt_ford.html

says you get get them in a 15, 22, or 32 amp alternator, and their a high flow pump, eliminates a lot of the pulley issues also cleans up the front of the engine (alternator not hanging off one side)

12. TigerII

TigerII

13. I feel sorry for you guys that wasted all your money on those ugly pulleys.
    Here's my 1974 Van 302 (headers off mustang) Ive been running in my truck.
    Its developing a tick and Im going to put a 90s mustang engine in it next. I will use everything off the van motor and use the PP balancer for the 3 bolt lower pulley.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. uncle buck

uncle buck

You obviously don't have the overall length issue that these "ugly pulleys" and water pumps are designed to solve. To get a better grasp on understanding what is going on here , go try pouring a whole 16 oz drink in a 12 oz glass without spilling any or having any left - all at once. Maybe then you will understand. :rolleyes:

15. earlyv8

earlyv8
    from oklahoma

Greetings

FWIW, I purchased an adapter to use a sbf in my 32 Ford which I never used. It uses a chev 6 cylinder water pump and reportedly shortens the Ford 2 3/4".

The instructions list pulleys by application. As I recall, the water pump pulley is off of a 360 Ford pu. I would have to look to see what other pulleys are required.

The adapter is approximately 3/4" thick and was made by milling the opening for the pump and the water passages from pump cavity to the engine water ports. All holes are drilled and tapped where necessary.

I do not know who made it or where I got it but it will be listed for sale.

I could send picture via phone but do not know how to put on the computer.

Jack

16. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

And Chevy never had a short and a long water pump ? :rolleyes: And Chevy's always had the dipstick on the same side too ? It's not that complicated really,the info is out there are just too many guys stuck in a Chevy mindset :D

Do it Over likes this.
  17. joe clotfelter

joe clotfelter

And you guys wonder why we put chevys in old fords