Register now to get rid of these ads!

Five Favorite Hot Rod Photographers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Peter Vincent, Coby, Adam Wright....to me it isn't who shoots the cleanest photos, it's about the guy that captures the feeling.

2. Eric Rickman, Bob DOliva, Tom Medley, Gray Baskerville, Dean Batchelor and can't leave out the boss, Bob Petersen.

3. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I am also privileged. I just befriended Tony (Typo41) and he's a great guy and a great photographer.:)

4. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Proud to say I know a few of these guys. J. Bomber touched on it out of the gate, you have to live it. It really comes through in the imagery.

5. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Awww thanks, my greatest infuences were David Perry, when I met him for the first time I was like a blubbering kid. Peter Vincent, I was awed by his work and became friends after bugging him how to break into magazines. Setve Connen(sp?) at Rodders Journal, he was/is a photographer before the magazine. Eric Rickman another hero that enfluenced me and we became friends during the last years of his life. Mike Harriungton's work is just art, and he set up my overly complicated Canon D5 (I am a film photographer lost in the digital world) so I can use it. I am now looking at the work of Holly Martin. Every day I go on the HAMB and impressed by the work I see, even Ryan's work. Anyone can take pictures, photographers take photographs.

6. I will get you the address to send my payment:D

7. Bull

Bull

I've got that David Perry print over my desk at work. (pardon the glare and crappy cell phone pic I just shot)
    [​IMG]

8. flamingokid

flamingokid

Tom Strongman of the KC Red Star.

Attached Files:

9. Entlebucher

Entlebucher

10. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I love Coonan's because he takes images of what most want to see. He get's the car in the right light and from the right angles to convey it's best points. I'm never like, "oh I wish I could see this damn angle" or "why the hell is it so artsy fartsy". Just really clean concise and beautiful imagery.

Tim Sutton is a great photographer as well. His stuff is going to be classic for years to come.

Coby from Church is just a great designer and his photos are a designer's dream. Makes us all think "how'd I miss that??"

Rick Rickman, well he's just where the bar was set.

George Barris supplied a ton of images to magazines many of which I pour over on a daily basis.

BUICK59.....I mean c'mon who hasn't drooled over his stuff?!!!!

Lastly, not a hot rod photographer but I bet he could do an awesome job is Josh Kurpius. Normally shooting choppers I think if he did some hot rods in the same vein we would be extremely fortunate.

11. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

john jackson aka notstock photo, Love his photos.

bold dynamic original and can tell who shot it a block away. Even though his shots of the Paul Sr. coupe in the new traditional rod and kulture were the only photos in the entire magazine not credited on the first page of the article you could tell right away whos pic's they were.

also another unaccredited shot of his on the back cover.

***edit: its been brought to my attention that the coupe shot is actually credited its just very hard to notice, my bad ***

Last edited: May 14, 2013
  12. Jive-Bomber Jay -

Great Blog! ... "Hot Rod Photographers" don't get near as much of the recognition they deserve! ... or so said my late father! :rolleyes: :)

plywude - Agreed! ... It even said so on the back of his shirt! :D:

[​IMG]

... and let's not forget Andy Southard Jr. (AndySS on the HAMB):

[​IMG]

Be sure to checkout Ryan's Andy Southard, Jr. Blog and the resultant thread from May of 2009.

13. FEBCO

FEBCO

I have nine by name.....in alphabetical order....Gray Baskerville, Nick Bilowick, R. F. Bissell, Steve Coonan, John DiBartolomeo, Mashie Mihalko, Bob Plumer, Steve Reyes, and Bob Wenzelburger.....and the ones I didn't name ....Thank you all for your passion to our sport.....Fred Bear

14. autobilly

autobilly

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  15. Thanks :D

16. gasserjohn

gasserjohn

my modelA on trailer back after nite $treet racing.......

Attached Files:

18. fortynut

fortynut

My vote for Eric Rickman, too. And, of course, Tom Medley (bet you never thought of him as a photographer, eh?), and also 'Tex' Smith. All of these guys were in on the get-go of Hot Rod and Rod Custom, or at least some of the golden years. And I'll vote for Gray and Too Tall, as well.

19. ROBERT JAM

ROBERT JAM

Peter Vincent does a great job!

20. SoCal

SoCal

Coby from Church, Dirk the Pixeleye, Peter Vincent, Marc from Lowtech, Tim Sutton, John Jackson - I guess the best way I can put it is that you have no choice but to "spend time" taking in their images. It's not the sort of photography you can flip past.

21. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Mike Harrington aka "Buick59"

Rick Amado

Tiny & Zombie from Traditional Rod & Kulture

Pat Ganahl

Steve Coonan

Robert Genat

I know, thats seven.

22. Chevy Gasser

Chevy Gasser

Legends and living legends have been covered very well but someone who's work I like very much is Kirk Jones!

23. axle

axle
    from Drag City

24. striper

striper

Can't argue with the names put up so far but in the interest of variety and international fairness a couple from the Deep South come to mind. Luke Ray of Fuel Magazine and Kyle Ford of the occasionally published Chopped Magazine go alright too.

Pete

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

25. Dan Warner

Dan Warner
    from so cal

I'll stick to five, but I have more:

Gray
    Peter Vincent
    Too Tall
    Holly Martin
    Misty's boy friend

DW

26. Thanks for this post P. Vincent & Gray B. are 2 of mine.

27. Church

Church
    from South Bay

I can't tell you how nice it feels to even be mentioned on this list. Thank you to those that "get" what it is I am trying to do.

There's a reason behind what is in my pics just as much as much as what isn't, along with the way I choose to crop them. The thought process certainly isn't random. I aim to please those with the wherewithal to recognize to difference between a quality photo and a nice car no matter how few and far between they might be. Plus old cars rule!!!

28. greasemunkey

greasemunkey
    from katy, TX

True THAT!

29. I am a huge fan of Steve Coonan's work. He is incredibly meticulous at what he does. If you look at his work in TRJ, all the wheels line up, the spokes line up, if the tires have lettering, they line up. I love his use of lighting, and how he likes to shoot at sunset. And, he's NOT afraid to photograph a BLACK car!!

If you ever have Coonan shoot your car, you had better pack enough food for 3 days, because Steve will take literally hundreds of pictures in order to get the perfect shot. I have heard this from a few different people who had Steve shoot their stuff.

For an all-around photographer, I liked Baskerville as well. You can see that he loved what he did and had a blast doing it. Great imagination, and a writing style that was uniquely his own. I miss that guy......