Register now to get rid of these ads!

History An old firehouse - The ultimate shop?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bigcheese327, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Some beautiful old fire houses are now available for sale in Detroit. Who hasn't dreamed of having one as a combo house / shop?

Check it out.

And please, spare me your Detroit bashing. I've had my fill of hearing about the evil unions and / or corporations that caused the problems. Just dig on the beautiful architecture and dream.

2. DrSweeneyRod

DrSweeneyRod
    from England

I wish older buildings were that cheap over here... As that would be my dream home.

3. pretty sick..would make great shops and living space above...

4. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

That's been my dream house since I was a kid. I have seen some neat conversions. I've wanted a firepole ever since watching Dean Martin slide down one to meet the Gold Diggers and have a martini. Damn, I'm showing my age.

5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Those would be cool as shops, but some of the minimum bids are a tad high for a "fixer upper".

There's a couple old gas stations near me that would be the perfect shop/home. But the areas they are in wouldn't be safe. Damn shame, too.

6. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

About 8 years ago, I shared an older house with a couple girls and it had a fire pole from the second floor to the kitchen. LOTS of fond memories of the girls and that pole.;)

7. I don't know Detroit at all, but number 7 is in Grosse Pointe Park. Isn't that a very afluent part of town. I know the Ford estate, Fair Lane, is in Grosse Pointe Woods or Farms or sumpthin. Could be a nice deal for someone

8. That'd be cool. Keep us informed (if you can) of the winning bids versus the minimum bids. I like Engine No. 18's firehouse.

9. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

The Pointes are nice, although the station is still in the City of Detroit. Google Maps shows it being about two minutes away from Grosse Pointe Park.

10. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

Nice job!
    Bet you got a few creative minds spinning wildly!

SinglefingerSpeedShop.com

11. AZbent

AZbent

I am always thinking about getting an old building for a shop. The city/town buildings would be the best. However, the small town that my in-laws live in, there is an old church building that is huge and would be a great shop. The down side is the repairs just to get it a tolerable condition ie: bird droppings, animal droppings etc.
    Mark

12. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

​I've had that thought over the years, but the cost to make a fire house habitable for normal residence is a little steep for me! But the COOL factor is way up there! Who wouldn't want to fall outta bed and go the balcony and look at all their junk from above everyday?

13. That is awesome. SO much interesting history in America.

14. kscarguy

kscarguy

I lived 10 blocks straight south of there (just south of Ford road). It was quite nice back in 1984.

15. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think #8 is my favorite but any of them would make a beautiful home.

16. inkstain27

inkstain27

I work as a firefighter in Springdale AR and the city is in the process of relocating 2 of our fire stations. Me and one of my co-workers who is also on the HAMB have talked about how great it would be to buy on of the old stations. I don't either one of us can swing it but would be badass if a HAMBer bought one and converted it. Who wants to relocate to Arkansas?

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

17. ChefMike

ChefMike

that would make a very cool place to have your project /slash man cave /slash apartment

18. slammed

slammed

It rules. All under one vintage roof. Add on outback with sheds for stashes, garage port, deck, ect.

19. for a while now i have been fascinated with older Detroit buildings. if i lived there i would probably go for it. i like the balcony that ladder no. 12 offers. however i thing i would want a double door...

20. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

I looked at one in Grand Rapids a few years back with that same intention.

21. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Those are cool. I wish I had enough money to buy one and move over here. I have never been to Detroit but isn't it like a ghost town nowdays?

22. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Parts of it - mostly the former working-class, and middle-class residential areas. The downtown is pretty vibrant, though, and the New Center. The corridor connecting the two is poised for a comeback as well.

23. Here in Toronto $60,000 will get you a single parking space.

Detroit has a long, rough road to travel, but there are some really cool things happening there. Tons of potential.

24. some neat looking buildings. too bad soo many of them had been tagged

25. bigboy308

bigboy308
    from Merlin, OR

I would wager that there is some "creative financing" available for purchase and renovation of one of these buildings. Think Urban Renewal projects, Historic Society, designated historic buildings, probably a lot more Government-sponsored programs and dedicated groups that would be more than willing to "lend" money to restore.

Many years ago I was looking at a firehouse in a small town in No CA and started conversing with another fellow. He was a lawyer, and he and his wife had recently purchased a "historical building" a few blocks from the firehouse. They were turning it into a "B&B" Inn, thanks mostly due to funded programs and Historical Society grants. Stated that groups were throwing funds at the project!! Actually stated that they had NO money invested out of their pocket!!

Food for thought-----

26. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

There's a really cool old fire station local to me, often thought it would make a really cool forge and shop for me, but it never seems to be for sale, just boarded up!

27. I toyed with the idea of converting part of the back part of my building in Downtown Anderson in to a place to work on my cars and leave the front as retail space.

The upstairs was big enough to have one huge apartment or 2 nice sized apartments,,the only problem is taxes were killing me,,a business in the city pays city and county taxes,,

I had the property paid for but the taxes were just insane,,I finally just sold my business and property and got out of the city. HRP

28. Zombie 51

Zombie 51
    from New York

Those would make an awesome combo of a shop, living space upstairs, a cool hangout for a car club or friends with old cars, AAAAAnd you can dress like Batman and slide down the fire pole!!!

29. Rob68

Rob68

That would be super cool. Remember Ghostbutsters?

30. bobby_Socks

bobby_Socks
    from ǑǃƕǑ

I was lucky enough to rent one over twenty years ago.