Register now to get rid of these ads!

What is the best reaction you have gotten from people?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by EnragedHawk, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Cerberus

Cerberus

On my way down to LA on Interstate 5, ten days ago, a modern car pulled up next to my truck with a guy taking pictures, he then pulled behind me, then passed me giving me the thumbs up. I was driving the '64 Chevy C10 Step Side. And, on my way back from LA, I stopped midway at Harris Ranch to fuel up. A Norwegian family circled my truck at the gas station taking pictures. They said with a charming accent, they really liked the truck. We talked awhile. Minutes later, they passed me on Interstate 5 with a camera hanging out their window. Kinda put a big grin on my face because the truck is a diamond in the rough.

Attached Files:

2. Rat.Racer

Rat.Racer
    from Maryland

I pulled into a parking lot and saw a gentleman pull in behind me. As I walked away, he yelled to me, so I thought that I had cut him off. He said he'd been following me for a while, liked my ride and if I ever decided to sell it, give him a call. Pretty great feeling for just finishing my first project.

3. wombat barf

wombat barf
    from oklahoma

a lady in a '97 Cavalier crunched the driver's front fender and front bumper on my '64 Fairlane in early August 2001.

I found a parts car in a salvage on September 10, 2001 and arranged to have it towed to my house on........September 11, 2001.

I got the fender and bumper swapped out and drove it to work the week after 9/11.

My dispatcher at the ready mix concrete company where I was working got tears in his eyes as I was clocking in that morning and said, "Man, I am just proud to see you got that old thing back on the road! Kinda makes me feel like life will go on!".

I really had very little use for that man. No one did. But he put tears in my eyes that morning too.

When he died two years ago, his family didn't have the money to bury him so they had him cremated.

His greatest pride besides his daughter was the fact that he had been one of the first vlounteer fire fighters for a rural station that opened up in the early 1980s.

His wife asked the current fire chief if they could dump his ashes in a little sidewalk being poured in front of the station. The chief said, "Naw, that's just creepy!". I know because I was the dude who hauled that load.

I couldn't stand the dude in life but I pitied him when the men whose friendship he valued the most didn't care to wipe their feet on him in death.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  4. shop teacher

shop teacher

I was down at the back to the 50,s one year, got a parking ticket- the St Paul cop had the normal information, but under color of car, it just said NICE!

5. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

These are all great reactions, but has anyone else been driving their old car and kinda forgotten what you are driving and wondered why the hell everyone was looking at you? It happens to me once in a while.

6. GREASER815

GREASER815

What I like best is talking to elderly folks and hearing their stories and bringing back memories for them.

7. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Why do civilians think ANY car without fenders is a deuce?:confused:

A month ago, I got new neighbors across the street. One night, I came home fairly late in my T, burp the throttle as I pulled into my driveway. After I shut her down, my new neighbor, hanging with his buddies, shouts, "That motor sounds nice." Then, he proceeds to start his '09 mustang and rev his motor. My response, "Those mufflers sound nice too."

His buddies cracked up.

8. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Yup. And sometimes it pisses me off, until I remember it comes with the old car deal. I gave a girl a ride one day and afterwards, she said it was like being naked at the stop lights. I laughed my ass off.

9. 59 brook

59 brook

2 years ago we drove the wagon up to six flags atlanta. got there nice and early. we get out of the wagon and i lay out the airride,makes it hard to steal with the front crossmember laying on the ground. anyway 2 soccers moms and about 7 kids pull up next to use and the lady driving the minivan says" you just made me the most uncoolest mom in history". everyone justed started laughing

10. Not the best, but one I remember for sure- A guy I worked with was looking at one of my cars and he finally got to he question everyone asks these days "how much did it cost?" I stupidly told him (cause I thought I got a screaming deal on it- $1500) he stopped and looked at me and said "boy, they saw you coming didn't they! Fifteeeen hundred bucks for a car that old!?"

11. WOODEYE

WOODEYE

I am in the car that is my Avatar at the Hot Rod Power Tour in Little Rock,AR a few years back and pulled into a Shell station down by the Fair grounds to get fuel and a few libations. The car barely comes to a stop when an older lady pulls up ( about my age ) and asks, "Mister is that your car" to which I reply "Yes it is". She then says,"That sure is a purty car Mister". I thank her and tell her that I am glad that she likes it. She then shares with me, " Me and my man had one like it back in the day, Oh it wasn't the same color but that same style of car". I then tell her that "If you had as much fun with yours as I have had with mine you got a lot of enjoyment out of it". That is when her face lit up with a big grin and she dropped this gem on me. "Oh yes Sir we did, you knows that car has a big back seat in it". She then pulled away with the big grin on and I flat had nothing more to say. I grin every time I think about that moment in time. When our lives wind down to the short rows the only thing important left will be our Family, our Friends and our Memories. This is one memory of many that I will carry forever.

12. 56FRLN

56FRLN

Last Fall I was dropping the wife off at the entrance to Wal-Mart in the '56 and had to wait for an older gentleman hunched over with a cane to walk across the drive - he walks past my door and looks over at me grinning and says "It's nice to see a real car again". Made my day.

13. Curly5759

Curly5759
    from Aridzona

I've had my 59 Caddy for 25+ years now, so I have lots of stories. :D
    My 2 favorites:
    I lived in Yuma, Az. I took the family for a night time ride to look at Christmas lights. We passed several jr high school age boys, sitting on their bicycles on one corner. As we drove by one of the boys got very excited. He pointed and shouted " Look! Its..Its..Its... the BATMOBILE!!!! We still laugh over that every Christmas.

After I moved up to the Verde Valley of AZ, I was at the local store putting gas in the car. Some woman with her daughter and dog stopped to admire the car. The lady then asks me "Can I hug your car?". I said go ahead, not really thinking about it. She says " I'm serious!", hands her daughter the dogs leash and proceeds to lay her head on the roof and stretch her arms across the roof and down the back window. Then she hugs the tail fin and the front fender, the entire time she is telling me how much she loves the car. I'm watching this play out as I finish filling the tank, thinking this is nuts!. I get in the car to leave, the lady at this point is hugging the front fender, her daughter (~13 yo or so) looks in the passenger window at me and says "My mom is a loon." :p

Curly

vtx1800 likes this.
  14. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Loving it.Keep em coming.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

15. TrioxinKustoms

TrioxinKustoms
    from Romney, WV

Wow, whats creepy? putting some dust in concrete?..? or putting dead bodies with the guts sucked out in a box and burying it next to other dead folks in boxes?

16. grease4life

grease4life

Had a couple girls run up to my car and one yells out "omg I want to have sex with your car!" Keeping in mind that it doesn't have new paint or interior, I asked, do you like old cars? She actually replied with "yes my favorite car is a 55 Cadillac!" while she literally was hugging my hood and pelvic thrusting on my bumper dagmar.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

17. Tedders

Tedders

Great thread!

I don't have a specfic one just remember how proud of the car my Dad was, loved the attention. Any challenges he and I ever had that car wiped clean.

18. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

At the World of Wheels show in Chattanooga this January a man walked up with his grandson and said "I built this car in 1953 and haven't seen it since 1961".....:eek:

That's about as cool as it gets.

Attached Files:

19. sololobo

sololobo

What! You drive that old truck EVERY day. I say, oh yeah it's my only transpo. they say, amazing. Ha ha, some folks don't get it. ~sololobo~

20. 1954fordcoupe

1954fordcoupe

Saturday after leaving a car show in Texas City Texas a girl flashed her tits at me in my 31 Model A. Thats never happened before!

21. hotrod--willys

hotrod--willys

I had my 36 Willys at a car showing. A couple came by and looked over the car. They asked me who did all the work on the car. I said I rebuilt it from parts and pieces for all over the country. She then said did you really do this car. I said hell ya. She then said let me see your hands. I showed them to her. She then said, those hand didn't build that car as they walked away:(WTF

22. A friend of ours is from mainland China. Her folks who still live there and speak no english were visiting and I gave them a ride in the '29. They now both know at least one word in english, "WOW"!

23. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

I have had my 28 roadster on the road over 20 years now. I think I've had or heard every reaction you can get! last friday I took it down to get an inspection sticker and pulled up to a light next to a school bus full of junior high kids. they were all hooting and hollering out of the bus at the car. one kid screams "Hey Mr! I like your car!" his buddy next to him yells out "Hey Mr! I like your girlfriend!" I couldn't help but start cracking up as the girl with me was my wife's friend! I yelled back at him "Thanks! my wife likes her too!"

24. fleetside66

fleetside66

HA-HA-HA!! Now, that's funny..I wish I could think of such good come-backs that fast. ~ Last year I was at a fairly large show & returned to my hot rod, only to find two guys totally transfixed on it. The one guy tells me that it is "hands down" the best vehicle on the field. When it cam time for the trophies, the judges thought different. Beauty is definitely in the eyes of the beholder.

25. yblock292

yblock292

Filling up my chopped a coupe one morning, old farmer next pump over, keeps eyeball the coupe, So i say, "watta think?" he says " I think you F@*^#) up a good model A!

26. no55mad

no55mad

Get the best reaction from men when a woman is present. Get the best reaction from women when my dog is present.

Attached Files:

27. 36 Vette

36 Vette

My elderly parents couldn't travel anymore and I live 500 miles away. I tried to see them as often as possible and used to bring progress pictures of my 36 Chevy project. The 36 is the same make, model and year as the car they took on their honeymoon back in '38.

I was careful to tell them that mine was a car LIKE the one they took on their honeymoon, but somewhere over the years my Dad got confused about my 36 and their honeymoon-36 Chevy. When I came to visit he used to say, "will I get to see that 36 Chevrolet before I die?" I really wanted them to see it because of their good memories associated with their 36 honeymoon Chevy.

A year or so later on one of the last visits I was able to make, Dad had clearly been sinking into dementia and didn't recognize many of the family and his old friends but he remembered something about my 36 project. He had been thinking about it and then said to me,"I just can't figure out how we went on our honeymoon in South Dakota in that 36 Chevrolet and you found it 60-something years later clear out in Washington State."

He died a few years ago with the idea on his mind that somehow that honeymoon car he and Mom enjoyed had found its way back into the family. I'm glad he thought that and would never have told him differently.[​IMG]

vtx1800 likes this.
  28. What a waste of Bandwidth. Guys ask for tech advice and get two answers, but this goes on for 23 pages! I miss the old HAMB.

29. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And yet you choose to click on this thread :rolleyes:

Perhaps there are only two answers because the two answers are sufficient or because no one knows the answer. You really think people are withholding technical answers on the HAMB?

30. drumyn29

drumyn29

Hey, what color are ya gonna paint it?