Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 1940's period correct hot rods

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by erlomd, Nov 28, 2009.

1. A.D.D.

A.D.D.
    from PacNW

Me too!!!!!

BY FAR..... my favorite era was late 1800's through the beginning of WWII. Just blows my mind what a guy could do in a shed with basic hand tools (Harley and Davidson, Henry Ford, etc).
    There's a pretty funny story about Karl Benz's wife Bertha taking his "motor-wagen" in 1888 on the first road trip to see her mother (supposedly without him knowing).

I was stationed at Edwards AFB (Muroc) a ways back, just in time for the first reuniuon. Just incredible to hear the old timer's stories back then about driving out to race with the family..... pulling the car apart to race, then putting it back together to get the family back home.

TRUE PIONEERS!

This might be a little off topic........

But here is an old Board track/ dirt track car I was involved in displaying a few years ago. Build quality was surprising good for such old "Backyard technology". The firewall was an old aluminum sign. This car was put into storage around the start of WWII and preserved ever since. The guy that owns it has had it since the mid 50's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attached Files:

2. That ain't off topic at all! I'd love to see more of it!!

[​IMG]

3. vinnymac44

vinnymac44
    from W. Oregon

Is that a "T" rearend under there?

4. Sure looks like it. T rear spring and possibly a [narrowed] T frame also...hard to tell with the sheetmetal cover but it has a T profile.

5. GARY?

GARY?

Yeh, that's about as "on topic" as you can get. I want more. Hell, give that one it's own thread.

6. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

7. A.D.D.

A.D.D.
    from PacNW

I am pretty sure the rear is from a "T". The frame rails??? Dunno. The engine was a OPEN OILER Chevrolet with some crazy overhead style set up.
    The body was from what I gathered a "kit" style. I guess you got the plans and beat out your own panels!!! At least one of the guages on the dash is Chevrolet. I think the front end was also "T". The wheels were Buffalo with REALLY COOL knock off's (they had a "Buffalo" etched into them!!! The multiple friction shocks had "dials" on them to tune in the dampening I guess.

As far as I know....this car was not touched after about 1940 except messing with it to get running, etc.

I will look for more pics... I took about 100.

8. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

As far as I know....this car was not touched after about 1940 except messing with it to get running, etc.

I will look for more pics... I took about 100.[/QUOTE]

Please do ... for those of us who love vintage race cars, hot rods, etc., this is about as cool as it gets. Thanks for posting.

9. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

I know this post was a few years ago but this car could possibly be the car I circled in this picture??

[​IMG]

And one without the circle, for a better look.

[​IMG]

10. Looks similar, but the car in the pic isn't channeled.

11. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

Yea I noticed that. could of been a later modification.

12. Unlikely the 2 are the same roadster, the one in the below pic has a pre '36 Cadillac Flathead meaning it would have been 4 exhaust pipes instead of 3 like the vintage dry lake photo.
    [​IMG]

13. rodl

rodl

14. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

You are the man Jimmy!

15. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

Good eye jimmy! but there maybe something you didn't spot in one of those pictures.

16. fritzz

fritzz
    from canada

awesome pics,thanks guys.

17. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

LOL very funny :)

18. seamus43

seamus43

Thank god someone saved those photos!!!!!! Thank you!!!

19. Brujo29

Brujo29

20. The radiator surround on your pic is far taller then the one in the period pic - and another diff seems like the period pic has the frame exposed under doors.

21. can anyone help me about the origin of this nose ?

22. 777

from Pasadena

Thought those of us that find this era in hot rodding captivating might also be into this 1934ish movie reel which documents how Ford made a lot of the parts were scouring the globe for today.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Nnexw2S86Oo?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

23. That video never gets old ^^^^^^^

Here's my Brother's roadster, just got on the road Saturday

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bct and keywestjack like this.
  24. bonesy

bonesy

He should be proud - that's a great looking hot rod.

25. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Great car - I liked it so well I had to do a screen capture on Instagram. Thanks for the better pics.

Attached Files:

26. Brujo29

Brujo29

Is it making the trip to LA Roadsters this weekend?Looks really good

27. erlomd

erlomd

Beautiful

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

28. No, I tried to get him to go down with me but he blew all his money getting that heap on the road :D I'm flying down anyways...

29. Re. post # 1507: So cool! Would love to hear that. Did you "split time" it?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  30. Chris, I'm not 100% sure what you do for a living - but you ought to consider building these for one. Outstanding job once again!