Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest "The Secret Of The English Wheel" From Darryl Starbird

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jonnie King, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

[​IMG] [​IMG] BEFORE DARRYL STARBIRD LEFT FOR HIS APPEARANCE ON "MONSTER GARAGE", he spent some time working with an English Wheel. By the time he got to the show, he'd learned the "secret" of the English Wheel...and he shared it with me in this Interview.

DARRYL STARBIRD is out in his garage everyday working on his cars...and he's been doing it for decades. His metal-working talent is amazing. (In fact, I just got off the phone with Donna, Darryl's wife, and, yes, he's out in the Garage working as I start this Thread !)

In this one-on-one done at his 48th Annual Tulsa Rod & Custom Show, we talked about New Builders, Old School/New School Methods, AND, Darryl told me the Monster Garage Story that included the “Secret of the English Wheel” that so many fabricator’s use !

This is truly a lesson in "Metal Working 101" by one of the Industries longest-running, most respected Pros DARRYL STARBIRD. Click-On-Here to listen & learn !

BTW: Have you used an English Wheel ? After you hear Darryl's take on it...let us know.

Have a GREAT Weekend !

Jonnie www.legends.thewwbc.net

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  2. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

3. brady1929

brady1929

4. Von Richthofen

Von Richthofen

That is some great info thanks for posting

5. aircap

aircap

Killer-diller.

6. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

WOW! Darryl's good, but I've never heard of anyone '' mastering '' the use of an english wheel in a few hours- it's one thing to whip up some shape in a small patch panel, and quite another to be able to build a whole panel, or two exact fenders or a whole top panel on a wheel without years of pratice.

Thanks again Johnny, for a bit of history from one of the masters!

7. "Mastering" is a relative term. He was joking about someone else calling him a master. He is a Master of many things automotive from building cars through to promoting shows. One of the greats in the hobby. Actually a trend setter with his stylistic cars through the years. I would call him a master for sure, english wheel aside.

Thanks Jonnie for another great interview. Many don't realize what it takes to produce these interviews and websites and I really enjoy hearing the real story from the actual people.

8. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

pimpin paint...

You're welcome ! Thanks so much for the Post. Darryl's not joking when he said he got the basics down that fast...he is a quick study. He learned enough to get what he needed accompished...which was great when he could apply it later on with the Monster Garage show.

Again, I love the "telephone pole" & the "rut/depression outside the garage" part of his story...his old school methods always "get 'er done"...but his opinion of the newer methods truly shows his forward thinking.
    http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage184.html

Darryl's a real Industry treasure...

9. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

hotrod1940,

Appreciate the kind comments. I know you run a great website...just as Ryan & Kevin do here, and, yes, there's always lots involved in getting it online.

Just this one story from Darryl's 45 minute Interview was put together over a three day period and involved about 18 hours. After 45 years in Broadcasting, if my name's attached to a project...it has to be as perfect as it can be, no matter how long it takes.

The editing, timing-out, of the Audio, then the formatting and setting up the Page, placing & sizing/resizing needed images, creating & putting the copy/story "in print" on the Page, then adding the Audio to the Page and making sure the Links work, then putting the Info & Preview on the Home Page, setting Links on the Home Page, and then "test running" Darryl's Page, and making sure everything comes online correctly, then re-doing the sizing, copy, and images till everything runs perfectly. And, finally, publishing it online and notifying all our visitors & fellow Rodders that it's up an running.

SO, yes, it's a "labor of love" but we're all in this together, and the voices of Darryl, Gene, George, Bo, John D'Agostino, Norm, Bailon, Mike Alexander, Posie, Steve Stanford, and all the rest need to be heard & preserved. As most above have stated, this story from Darryl certainly proves that point !

Thanks again, to all who take the time to listen...and, learn. Sharing here on the H.A.M.B. is what it's all about, and I value my friendship with each and everyone of you !

10. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey Johnny,
    Again thanks-
    Any chance of an interview with another master planned, say Mr. Dick Bertolucci?

11. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

where is the audio?

12. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

heyitnate...

Just Click-On-Link below, it'll take you to the Interview Page, make sure you have your speakers up, and Active X/Adobe Flash installed on your Comp.

Should be no problems...just checked-it and it's perfect. Sorry if you had and troubles, thanks for the Info.

13. Gremlinguy

Gremlinguy

Good listen, thanks for posting!

14. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

brady1929, Von Richthofen, aircap, Gremlinguy...

Many thanks for your comments ! Appreciate your checking-it out.

Anyone who's met Darryl knows that he's not only a great builder, but down-to-earth, and one of the friendliest guys you'll meet. You can hear it in his voice. http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage184.html

Thanks...much !