Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tach reads about double?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Slantback, Apr 28, 2013.

1. Slantback

Slantback

<hr style="color:#D1D1E1; background-color:#D1D1E1" size="1"> I have a MSD 6 series box with a MSD 8563 distributor and MSD 8920 tach adapter. My tach is an old school Stewart Warner Greenline 960 AA. It reads almost double what it should. I can't seem to find any info as to the cause. It's as if it's set up for a 4cyl.
    Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks, Colt

2. That would be my guess......

3. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

"About double" would indicate that it is not a 4 or 8 cylinder mismatch. "ALMOST" means just that...almost, nearly, but not exactly. Double check that statement. Keep us updated if you find the problem.

4. metalshapes

metalshapes

No, it could...

Was the RPM checked with another tach, or is the "about double" playing it by ear?

And if it was checked with another tach, it could be a little off calibration.
    Or the one you are checking is.
    Or they both are, one up and one down, for example...

BTW, I/m guessing we are talking about electronic tach's, right?

Because mechanical tachs come in 1/2 RPM and 1/4 RPM...

5. Slantback

Slantback

All I have to verify RPM is and old dwell tach, red to - on coil / black to ground. Works fine on my old bug, get nothing on my 37. I will admit to being a dumbass on this stuff but I don't see any switch or adjustment on this tach.
    Suggestions?

6. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

Did the SW tach read correctly before the MSD was installed. ?

Google didn't find much for a 960 AA, but seems like some other SWs have a switch for the number of cylinders.
    I had one or 2 old lesser ones that I had to snip a resistor or something out of an internal circuit to set it for the right number of cylinders

7. Pops1532

Pops1532
    from Illinois

Some electronic tachs have wires that you clip for 6 cyl and 4 cyl.

8. SloppyEggs

SloppyEggs

I second that

9. blacksheep55

blacksheep55
    from jasper ga

Am I incorrect that some of the old tachs will not operate on an electronic ignition, even with the tach adapter? I have an old Sun that I wanted to use in my car but if I remember correctly it needed to be sent out to Tachman or the likes to be converted. But I did used to smoke alot of weed when I was a kid, so maybe I'm imagining things.

10. 55 gasser pickup

55 gasser pickup
    from utah

I'm having the same problem with mine.(reads 4000 rpm at 60 mph)My tach is a new one from moomeyes.half sweep style.I have h.e.I.. in an off topic elcamino (66).its a three speed on the tree with 373 gears.no way its turning that.

11. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Some tachs have a 4-6-8 adjuster screw on the back and some you use certain wires. IMO right now you are on the 4 cylinder setting.

As for the new SW tach not reading right, I have the same tach except the full sweep version, with electron ignition, and it reads right. Call SW and run it by them. Even with 4.30 gears I only turn 3,000 at 60, so yours is way off.

Don

12. Cerberus

Cerberus

I have several tachs: SW, Autometer, Sun, etc. Most have a dial on the back with a slot that requires a flat tip screw driver to set the tach at 4, 6, 8, cyl. These settings allow for an accurate rpm reading.

13. Is the old tachometer 6 volts?

14. 55 gasser pickup

55 gasser pickup
    from utah

I don't mean to hyjack anybody thread.

15. Willy301

Willy301

You might look over the MSD, the MSD box senses the rpm from the distributor, and may not be sending a signal that is compatible with the tach.

16. Slantback

Slantback

:) Well the mystery is solved. After pulling the dash apart and removing the tach, I found no switch, wires, or access to the internals. After carefully removing the bezel and lense and pulling the guts out, there it was! A small dial that could be adjusted using a small screwdriver. very hard to make out any numbers but I think it has A 4, 6 and 8 on the dial. played with the adjustments and it's working now. I know these old electric tachs are kind of lazy and not extremely accurate but it seems to be pretty close. Here is my combo;
    MSD distributor #8563
    MSD coil #8202
    MSD tach adapter #8920
    S/W tach #960-AA (no sender required)

Sorry about the pic quality but its the best I could do.

Colt.

Attached Files: