Register now to get rid of these ads!

VI-30 inspection in Texas info..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fifty5rod, Apr 27, 2013.

1. fifty5rod

fifty5rod
    from El Paso TX

I just found out I need to get my 1950 Chrysler Windsor inspected..was going to register it as an Antique ..since the title was from New Mexico im registering it in Texas. I need a VI-30 form...does anyone know what are the requirements for it to pass?

Thanks!!

2. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

I registered several of my vehicles as antique and it last five years in Texas you need too get a (out of state) vin verification test at any auto body or some jiffy lubes just bring in your title and they will check over your car once you get that slip from them you also need too print out a vehicle registration form online it's easy to do from home fill it out and then bring too dmv title/insurance/ vin verification test/ and printed out form and license . Ask for the tags that go on the license plate they will give you a sticker and a metal plate too screw onto plate.

.......Sent from Ar

3. if it's an out of state title - ANY and ALL cars have to get inspected and have the green inspection sheet provided to the DMV for plates...you can just transfer it WITHOUT plates while you work on it...

inspection will be as the car was built in the year it was made.....

4. fifty5rod

fifty5rod
    from El Paso TX

Anyone know what was required to pass inspection in 1950?

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

5. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

They only check lights and turn signals

Plus I bought YOM plates you only need pictures of them to bring if you want too go that route

.......Sent from Ar

Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
  6. Texas Transportation Code:

7. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

They no longer do that little tag thing. All plates given out are good for 5 years, due for renewal in March 2018.

Go to the DMV website and read it. Use Google.... it'll set you free.:D

8. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

The out of state inspection is simply looking at the vin and writing it on their form. They don't need your title at the inspection station. It's simply a form to verify what the vin on the vehicle is. Cost me a dollar last time I did it.

9. BLAKE

BLAKE

Exactly. It probably varies shop-to-shop, but my experience is that they simply want to verify that the VIN you are trying to register from out-of-state is the VIN on the vehicle you brought to them. No 'inspection' beyond that.

Once done, you can still register it as Antique and use the little metal tags on YOM plates, if you have them.

10. agshelby

agshelby

My experience with my recent '40 purchase from out of state was the same as Blake and Austinrod's - I had to show the out of state title and proof of insurance. The shop then validated that the frame Serial number matched the title and insurance card. It can be done at any inspection shop for $1.00, on top of the normal inspection cost.

11. Lunchboxlbc

Lunchboxlbc

I am getting ready to go through this and I just want to make sure I have everything I need to make the process go smoothly.

I have the signed title from Kansas, Bill of sale, proof of insurance, and Vin Inspection. Do I need anything else to register as antique?

12. You should be good to go!

13. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Do you have the form changing to title over to you? Form 130-U (Revision 5/12) Is it signed by the previous owner? (If it's not signed, go check under your bed. That's where he is.;))

The revision is a change in the vehicle color block. The DMV now has specific abbreviations for vehicle colors. You may get by with an older form, but why chance it? Go to the Texas DMV site and print the correct forms and color abbreviations.

14. Lunchboxlbc

Lunchboxlbc

I don't have that. Downloading it shouldn't be a problem, But that raised another question.

Does that form need to match the Seller or the Last person on the title?
    The guy I bought the truck from never changed the title over to his name. But it is signed over to me, and I have it notarized.

15. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

It should be the last person the title was changed over to. I often wonder why people don't change a title over, then resell the car. Leaving the new buyer looking like a dolt.

See where I winked? PM sent.

16. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

DMV site:
    http://www.txdmv.gov/motorists

Color chart:
    https://ftp.txdmv.gov/pub/txdot-info/vtr/vehiclecolorchart.pdf

It may seem like nothing, but having ALL the correct forms and info makes the DMV a fun experience. When the people see someone with the correct forms, they are happy. When they are happy, you'll be happy. Remember, they're dealing with customers who usually don't have all the right information or some other issue. Don't be that guy and be nice. Treat them like people doing a hard job because they are.

17. Lunchboxlbc

Lunchboxlbc

Awesome Thanks for the links! This will make things much easier.

18. fossilfish

fossilfish
    from Texas

On related note, here in Texas, it seems the gov has gone out of his way to make life for the folks at the county court house who do the title stuff hard.
    Sadly, They are all under the gun to make sure everything is perfect. Every bit of paperwork is inspected now. If the i's arn't dotted the paperwork comes back, if there is any irregularity the paperwork comes back, and you will being getting a notice that things are not going to happen.
    Things have sure changed in Texas in the last 10 years or so. I had trouble getting a title for a motorcycle that did not come with an odometer. I had to provide proof that the bike was offered without one. Even getting plates has become a hassle.
    Recently a friend built an ot 3 wheel bike, using a car engine...He did not know it is now illegal to build a bike using a car engine in Texas.
    You cannot build a car using motorcycle parts and you cannot build a bike using car parts and expect to get a title in Texas.
    Well there is a way but you have to lie.
    Be nice ...very nice to the local folks who do the title work. It is not their fault. You have to look a lot further of the chain of command to find the right person to dislike.

19. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

True that. Like a lot of jobs and the people that do them, taking a moment to live in their shoes, makes you do your part in getting things done. A day of research eliminates a lot of stress on both parties.

20. I just got my title changed from Co. to Tx. They said as long as it was always going to have antique plates I could get the vin certification waived. I signed a paper and got my plates the same day.

21. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

I'll be doing the same thing soon too.

22. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Here's a GREAT site for all the questions. It's the Texas DMV site. It has most forms, although the Vl -30 form for inspection seems to be missing. It even tells you how to get a title for a vehicle that doesn't have one. You can also search the vehicle by VIN and find out if it has any "hits". if you live in Texas, you need to bookmark this site.

http://txdmv.gov/motorists/buying-or-selling-a-vehicle

23. Hot Rod Cowboy

Hot Rod Cowboy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

After living in multiple locations in Texas, I have learned that it doesn't matter how the law reads or what you think you know, it really all depends on WHO is working the county tax office counter. I have literally had 3 different answers to the same question. I try to be prepared with all the forms, but it doesn't always make a difference. Oh yeah, and my wife's a lawyer!

The last car I tried to register from out of state, the 1st county tax lady told me to go to any inspection station and have the VIN verified. I live in a small town/county and all 3 inspections stations said that they were not allowed to do VIN verifications. Went back to tax office and got a different lady. She said I have to have the VIN inspected by the police. Go to the police station, and they said that they couldn't do VIN checks either. They referred my to the North Texas Auto Theft Task Force of the Dallas County Sheriff's Department. They do VIN inspection, but only once a month and I had to trailer the car to them.

After 2 weeks, I got all that done and went back to title/register. Yet another lady said that as of a month ago, all antique cars from out of state have to be appraised by a car dealer. I tried to explain that she has a book of standard presumptive values and that she should calculate tax based on that or the purchase price, whichever is greater. Nope, not any more (according to her). Finally got the car titled after having an "appraisal" done at the local chevy dealer.

My point was not to scare you, but just to give you a heads up. I have registered other out of state classics where they had me do a pencil rub of the VIN and sign an affidavit and I was good to go. It all depends on the person behind the counter. Get to know one person in your tax office and it will make all the difference in the world.

Another tip, call you regional service center with any questions before going to the county tax office. Write down who you talked to and if the county gives you any grief, have them call the regional service center and speak directly to them. I learned this after watching the county people call the regional center multiple times to ask them how to do something. Regional service centers can be found on the state DVM website.

Bottom line: be prepared for the worst and hope for the best! Good luck!!!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

24. Hot Rod Cowboy

Hot Rod Cowboy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I swear when I typed that out, I used paragraphs. Sorry! I don't know why it all ran together???

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

25. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I see paragraphs...... and dead people.

26. This is where I am in my title process. It's not a roller yet, so it will have to wait. I am using Lawrence Auto Title out of Taylor, Texas. They are taking car of the paper work and just telling me what I need to get. They came highly recommended and have had a good experience so far.

The reason I have a title problem is because the title on my 40 Ford is a South Dakota title issued in 1944, and it requires a notarized signature. They title is signed but NOT notarized, which is a problem. I know it'll all turn out ok once I get the VIN inspected by the auto theft task force, (because the VIN matches the title) but it's a big pain in the rear and will consider this the next time I buy a car with no title or title problems.

27. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Buying a vehicle without a title can be a nightmare and I'd try not to do it, but if the vehicle was a good care, I'd risk it. A one owner '34 coupe, running, would be worth the hard work. And that's what it boils down to, hard work. Passion ain't easy.

28. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

LOL (like it's not ALWAYS going to be an antique?) Someone high up on the tax chain has made a policy of changing history.

29. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Just because the cars an antique, doesn't mean it automatically gets or has to run, antique plates. I registered my T like a normal car, then the next year switched to antique plates. My reason was that while getting the title, I didn't want to toss in too much paperwork for the clerk to thumb through. I may have been a little too worried, but at the time, my knowledge on the procedures were limited and I was.... scared.:eek::D

30. fifty5rod

fifty5rod
    from El Paso TX

With antique plates... do i still need an inspection??

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app