Register now to get rid of these ads!

I think 10% alcohol is trouble

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dan Timberlake, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

http://www.buyrealgas.com/

real gas stations are indicated by a blue teardrop/balloon.

none in MAss.
    one in NH (town called Freedom!)
    None in RI
    5 in MAine
    none in Connecticut

2. rfraze

rfraze

This is GREAT INFO. Check it out.

3. Deuce Roadsters car is a prime example of the problems that are inherent with 10% alcohol. HRP

[​IMG]

4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It is not going anywhere, and E15 will be here soon. Adapt, or die.

5. couvy

couvy

Corn is for cows , pigs & groceries. Gas is for cars. How would you like 10% gasoline in all your food with corn?????????????????????

6. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I remember when that happened. Whatever happened to the car?

7. pug man

pug man
    from louisiana

This must be why I heard that people that have lawn care business like to use only gasoline with no alcohol in it at all in all their lawn care equipment... Makes sense.....

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice specious comment, FNG. Do you actually have anything to contribute?

9. Randy's been working on it. HRP

10. Truckedup

Truckedup

You're saying E10 caused that? What is it,a fire from a faulty gas hose?

11. customcory

customcory

Now they are talking sugar cane, like in South America.

12. Ethanol fuel eat the needle and seat up and the carb flooded over causing the fire. HRP

13. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

I have been slowly working on it. It has not been a top priority.
    I have owned it well over 30 years, have another 32 to drive ... plus other O/T vehicles. I have everything to fix it. I need to get off my behind and fix it.

[​IMG]

14. Chevy Gasser

Chevy Gasser

Norm Grabowski said it best...Gasoline and alcohol don't mix, try Schwepps!

15. boo

boo
    from stuart,fl.

just got back from NC brought back some junior johnson moon, it's 100 proof

16. rfraze

rfraze

We are lucky to have access to this fuel, BUT the price was just raised over 50 cents per gallon, to (get ready) $5.50 per gallon. It's time to break out the solar chainsaws and wind-powered weed eaters and start a cruise night within a few miles of the shop.

17. chubbie

chubbie

Don't sweat it:) I've been useing ethanol in my small engines for 30 years nothing has BURST into flames, or any other disaster.

18. Politics aside, Fastrac stations in New York offer ethanol-free - but it's only in 92 Octane, so the added cost wipes out the increase in fuel milage. In my daily driver (a 20 year old TBI van) the 10% costs me about 10% in fuel milage.

That should be proof enough that ethanol is a scam - I don't see how I can be reducing my emissions if I'm burning more gasoline to travel the same distance. The more I burn the more potential pollutants come out my tailpipe.

If you do a search with your search engine of choice, you can find a tracker that will show you gas stations that sell gas without ethanol. A lot of them are no-name places or they don't tell you what brand the gas is.

19. Hefty Lefty

Hefty Lefty

I agree. We have had alcohol for 10 years and we probably always will unless farmers lose their political power. (That's a joke.....)

All fuel system parts need to be alcohol proof. If you are fixing a barn find, rip it all out upfront and cry once. If you are doing a new build it should be a nonproblem as almost all parts that are NEW are alcohol resistant.

Small engines are not alcoholproof because the manufacturers are very, very, very cheap. I run avgas in them. Problem solved. I do believe that the should not allow non alcoholproof fuel parts or engines to be sold any more to the general public, but the price of lawnmowers would have to go up.

20. Hefty Lefty

Hefty Lefty

Ethanol fuel from cane makes a little more thermodynamic sense than ethanol from corn, surely. Ethanol is not a terrible fuel, if you use the right materials. Methanol isn't either but the materials have to be much better than for ethanol. Methanol has a 90 plus year racing history. Methanol burning hot rods, race cars, and sports care are all very very traditional.

21. rfraze

rfraze

Not even the same discussion, the concern here is the extra heat created in air-cooled engines. We have the product here because people use air-cooled engines everyday, all day, in their work. !0% burns them up. End of story. A portion of our economy depends on these machines working, every day. Too much down time and expense with ethanol, hence clear premium, by demand. When I say burns them up, I mean ruins them, at a GREATLY accelerated rate, not that they burst into flame. Yes, I know that part of this thread discussed fires, just not this part. I'm sure small engine repair shops in your area would agree.

22. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All of my motorcycles, since E10 has been in widespread use, were air-cooled. NONE of them burned up. My 1965 BMW R69S is air cooled, and runs on E10 just fine, and shows no unusual wear.

I retired a 1995 BMW R100GS/PD with 375,000+ miles, air cooled, ran on E10, and almost every other crap fuel, Connecticut-to-Maine-to-Alaska-to-Venezuela. Zero issues.

All of my other small engines run on it too. I use the hell out of my power tools and generator, all on E10. Zero issues.

My point? The plural of anecdote is not data.

23. rfraze

rfraze

Good input. I am glad for everyone who has no problems. Different situation here, state wide. I can tell you, but you don't have to hear.
    I am curious if it is an issue of compression. What general compression ratios are the bikes you mentioned?
    I have an O/T air-cooled car that is affected by E10. Stock compression. It runs hotter, sometimes causing a temporary starting problem, which is solved by opening the deck lid for a couple of minutes. Without touching it, put in clear premium, no overheating, no starting problem. The Lexus doesn't care. The big block in the Willys does not like any of it.

24. I give thanks every day that in Oklahoma, we have a CHOICE to run 100% gasoline, or run E10, E15, or E85 corn-squeezins'. I run 100% GAS all the time. Ethanol is a political ruse to placate tree-huggers and corn states, nothing more.

BTW, you can brew your OWN fuel...you just have to poison it so it can not be ingested.

25. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

9.5-11:1.

26. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

27. Sadly,less than a month after Randy posted this he passed away,,he never got a chance to drive his roadster again. :( HRP